• Banner collaborative provision
  • Collaborative provision

    If you are studying an Oxford Brookes course at one of our partner colleges and have a dispute related to your course, a service provided by the college, or if you are involved in a disciplinary case, you may need to use the University procedures.

    You can contact a University Student Disputes Officer for advice on studentdisputes@brookes.ac.uk or by ringing 01865 484203.

  • Oxford Brookes University is responsible for examination committees at our partner colleges. If you believe there has been an error with an assessment or decision about your progression, you must use the Oxford Brookes University Academic Appeals procedure. There is a University form to fill in and you will need to demonstrate certain grounds for an appeal. Please see the information about Academic Appeals.

    If you are dissatisfied with an element of your course or a service provided by the college, you must use the college's complaint procedure initially. You should be able to find this on the college website, or by speaking to a member of staff. If you have been through all stages of the college complaint procedure you will get a Completion of Procedures letter.

    If you are still not satisfied with the outcome, you may either escalate it to the OIA (Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education) or go through the Oxford Brookes University Complaint Procedure, depending on the nature of your complaint.

    Complaints regarding services or facilities at the college may be suitable for escalation to the OIA, whereas complaints about the course are more suitable for the Oxford Brookes University Complaints Procedure. If you are unsure of where to progress your complaint, please contact the Oxford Brookes University Student Disputes Officer to discuss. Please see below for the OIA and Oxford Brookes procedures.

    You may be able to apply for a review of the decisions made, to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) providing that the complaint you take to the OIA is eligible under its rules. Should you decide to make a complaint to the OIA, your OIA complaint form must be received by the OIA within 12 months of the date of the completion of procedures letter from the college.

    The OIA’s leaflet, An Introduction to the OIA for Students, can be downloaded from their website. Guidance on submitting a complaint to the OIA and the OIA Online Complaint Form can also be found on the OIA’s website.

    You can send a request to use the University Complaint Procedure. In these cases, you could be eligible to enter at Level 2 of the procedure. Please refer to the Collaborative Provision Flow Diagram (PDF).

    You should write to the Student Disputes Officer and demonstrate:

    1. grounds for believing that there was an administrative error or procedural irregularity in the handling of the complaint, and/or
    2. that the response made by your college was one that no fair and reasonable body could have made

    You also need to send all the documentation from the college complaint as evidence. You cannot use the University complaints procedure if you have not completed the college process, so please make sure that you show the final letter from the college. Alternatively, you may demonstrate that you were not given the option to progress through the complaints procedure. 

    A conduct case may involve academic work or inappropriate behaviour towards other people and/or facilities.

    Your college should have their own conduct procedures, so please make yourself familiar with these. You should be able to find them on the college website, or by speaking to a member of staff. If you are concerned about another student breaching regulations or acting inappropriately, please let a member of staff at your college know immediately. 

  • If you are unsure of whether you should use the college or the Oxford Brookes University procedures, or simply want to find out more information, please feel free to contact the Student Disputes Team at Oxford Brookes.