Disabled Students' Allowance

  • The Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) provides funding to support eligible students with disabilities and dyslexia/SpLD during the course of their studies.

    For advice and help with your DSA application, including navigating your way through the process and how you access your support:

    Applying for DSA for dyslexia/SpLD during Covid-19 »

    The DSA can be used for:

    • equipment, e.g. computer, software.
    • 1:1 specialist study skills support, mentoring, IT training

    Some items, such as entry level, high cost or low-weight computers; standard or course-specific software; wheelchairs, mobility scooters or radio aids which were previously funded through DSA are no longer being funded. Your needs assessor will advise you of any other changes which will affect you. 

    Applying for DSA

    Application for DSA is through your funding body. Details of the application processes for the main funding bodies can be accessed through the links in the related links box. The video below explains the application process through Student Finance England. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about DSA and the application process

    When your DSA has been approved you will receive a letter outlining your entitlement (also known as the DSA2 letter). If your DSA is provided through Student Finance England, you may find it helps you to understand what you need to do next to refer to this annotated letter to help you to understand your entitlement (DSA2) letter

    £200 contribution towards a computer

    Students who are recommended and agreed a computer will be required to pay £200 towards the cost of this. You may be eligible for reimbursement of this through Financial Aid arranged through the Inclusive Support Service. 

    Printing costs

    Printing costs may be funded through DSA. This will be specified in your DSA Entitlement Letter. You can request a statement of your print account by raising a request with IT Services (OBIS) - you'll need to be clear about the period you would like the statement to cover (e.g. from the start of September until today).

    You can either do this through the online web portal or at one of the service desk points (see IT Services). 

    This can then be submitted along with your claim to your funding body. 

  • International students

    International students should contact their home government for information on any funding that may be available to students with a disability or medical condition. 

    You are encouraged to disclose any disabilities prior to or at the application stage to enable us to help you identify your support needs and ensure you receive appropriate information and advice on how your needs may be met. Many of the arrangements students need are provided by the university as a matter of course and information about these can be found on this website. It is essential that you take into account how you will cover the cost of any additional support you may need while at University.