Frequently asked questions

  • On this page, we aim to answer some of the questions we are frequently asked by disabled students. Where possible, we provide links to sites where additional information can be found.

    If you cannot find an answer to your question here, please contact us

  • Accessing our service

  • Sometimes people are not sure whether they would be classed as being disabled. You may not think of yourself as 'disabled', but if you have a long term condition you may have entitlements under the Equality Act. If you have a condition that impacts on your studies, we would encourage you to get in touch. Our service is not able to support students with temporary illnesses or injuries, or conditions which fall outside the Equality Act definition of a disability.
    Please complete our self-referral form or email us at You will be able to discuss your needs further with a disability adviser.
    Yes, absolutely. If you have a long term mental health condition that is impacting on your studies, do get in touch to see how we can support you.
    Medical evidence would usually be a GP or Consultant's letter which includes a long-term diagnosis, or a Disabled Students' Allowances report. If you already have some medical evidence, you can attach it to your self-referral form or email it to us separately. You may be asked for more evidence if clarification is needed. If you don't have any medical evidence, or are not sure what would be suitable, do get in touch. Our advisers can talk you through this if necessary.
    Depending on your temporary injury, (e.g. broken arm, wrist, leg), you may need to contact the Exams Office to discuss exam arrangements.  You can email them at   
    Our service is not able to support students with temporary illnesses or injuries, or conditions which fall outside the Equality Act definition of a disability.
    The Inclusive Support service is for disabled and dyslexic/SpLD students. Specialist advice for Dyslexia/SpLD is available via .
    We are happy to provide general advice on the support we offer students with disabilities. We can also provide specific advice on the support we can offer a student with a particular disability/medical condition/mental health problems.  We encourage students to talk confidentially with a Disability Adviser about their individual support requirements and any concerns they have.  Due to confidentiality we can speak with parents about a particular student only with the prior permission of the student.
  • Academic life

  • If you need extra time because of a disability or medical condition, then it is very likely that you will be able to have extra time in University exams. We will need to organise that for you, so please come to see us in plenty of time before any exam or class test.
    Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) are grants to help pay the additional study related costs you may have as a direct result of your disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty. You don't have to pay these back. The funding is not for assistance with living costs and fees. DSAs can help pay towards the costs of equipment, software and specialist support such as study skills or mentoring.

    If you qualify for the Disabled Students’ Allowance you will need to have a DSA Needs Assessment to decide on the support you will need on your course. This assessment is an opportunity for you to discuss with a specialist assessor the areas of your studies that you may need support with. The assessor then makes recommendations on what support can be provided. The assessment will take approximately two hours and involves:

    • an assessment based upon your individual requirements.
    • advice and guidance with any stage of the DSA and assessment process, including help with ordering your equipment and arranging follow-up assessments.
    • a written report sent to you and to your funding body (for example SFE or NHS).

    Having an assessment allows you to discuss the types of activities you will have to complete at university and how your disability or medical condition might affect these. It is also a part of the application process for DSA.

    A ‘Statement of Educational Need’ that you might have got at school is no longer valid once you join Higher Education. Instead, you will have to have a Needs Assessment when applying for DSA.

    Where required, an Inclusive Support Plan (ISP) will be written, which you can use to share information about your disability as you choose. This memo is sent out to your academic advisers once a semester. The plan will not be distributed until you are happy with the content of the document.

    The following services are only available to students enrolled on Brookes courses who have registered with the Inclusive Support Service.

    • Borrow up to 15 books at a time instead of 12
    • No fines on one and two week books

    Alternative format material - The Library subscribes to a range of electronic resources, including electronic journals and some ebooks.

    The support worker scheme will work with you and your course team to try and provide you with enlarged versions of the most important texts, handouts and other materials. However we can’t guarantee that we will be able to enlarge everything. You might also want to apply for DSA as there may be equipment that might help you, such as a portable CCTV to enlarge text on screen.

    Many students with hearing impairments use a note taker who will take their notes for them. This allows the student to concentrate on lipreading the lecturer. Notetakers are provided through the support worker scheme.
    If you are finding it difficult to physically access your adviser’s room, then you could ask them to meet you at a more convenient location – perhaps a meeting room or another office on the ground floor. If you are having other access difficulties, then again you can talk to them about this, or, if you prefer, talk to us. You are entitled to change Academic Adviser if you are having problems.
    We can provide you with support during induction and enrolment, even someone who could stay with you throughout this period. After that, we have a mentoring service that can provide you with ongoing support while you are at Oxford Brookes.

    We can provide support for students for enrolment and induction only. We will then review your needs with you. If you decide that you don’t need support but find after a period of time that you do, then we can reinstate the support.

    The type of support available during induction includes a support worker who can take notes for you or just be with you during induction week. We can also arrange for you to enrol in a quieter room, rather than with everyone else.

    Please discuss your needs with us so we can put some support into place for you.

    Most students feel nervous delivering presentations which is completely normal. Often over time and with practice students find that these feelings reduce.

    Brookes’ Wellbeing run workshops on managing stress and anxiety and has useful material on the website:

    If a student has an ongoing disability such as, anxiety or depression, which might affect their ability to do presentations we would discuss reasonable adjustments e.g. delivering the presentation to the module leader and a small group of students. It is best to contact your disability adviser to discuss arrangements.

  • Student life

  • Some students have a medical condition or disability that that needs to be managed in a specific type of accommodation. If you have a medical condition or disability that we need to consider, you need to tell the Accommodation Bureau about it when you apply. You will also need to send medical evidence with your application.

    Your supporting evidence should be a letter which explains your condition. It needs to be written in English by a certified medical practitioner. This letter should state:

    • how this condition affects the way you live
    • why your condition is best supported in (a) specific residence type(s).

    Please contact the Accommodation Bureau if you have any questions about the process at or call 01865 484660.

    From January 2017, the University has moved to a new, virtual parking permit system.

    Blue badge holders

    If you have a valid Blue Badge you will be entitled to park on-site for free, but must first obtain a Blue Badge Holder Permit (free of charge) or risk receiving a fine. You will be able to park in designated accessible bays across the University’s sites. If you are a Blue Badge Holder you should apply for your new permit here.


    Non blue badge holders

    From September 2017, there will be no parking for students at Headington campus (including Marston Road). Students who fulfil the eligibility criteria may apply for a general student parking permit at Harcourt, Wheatley and Swindon campuses. More information on student permits can be found on the Travel webpages.

    Students are encouraged to use public transport to travel to campus wherever possible and those in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) may be entitled to receive funding to cover the cost of travel expenses, including taxis where applicable. More information on this can be found on the Government’s DSA website.