Information for staff supporting students

  • Wellbeing redesign homepage - staff supporting students

    Who do I talk to if I'm worried about a student?

    Contact Wellbeing if you are concerned about a student. We won’t be able to share information without the student’s consent, but we can provide guidance about how to deal with the situation, and information about how to refer a student to our services.

    Contact the University Case Conference Group for advice on complex student cases which:

    • involve more than one University support service and/or
    • involve risk/potential harm to one or more students and/or
    • involve concerns about a student’s vulnerability to radicalisation

    A member of the Case Conference Group will reply with advice on the next steps. They may suggest that you set up a Cause for Concern Group and fill in a Cause for Concern Action Log.

      Emergency? Need help now? »

    What if a situation occurs outside normal working hours?

    If a student is distressed, unwell or is asking for help – or if others are worried about them – try to listen non-judgmentally, reassure them, and gather information. You may be able to help just by listening or suggesting practical help, e.g. how to find a late-night pharmacy or how to contact Brookes Union Safety Bus in order to get home ( 07714 445 050).

    You are not expected to offer professional help, but you may need to decide on what action to take. Follow the 5 basic steps:

    5 basic steps

    1. Is there immediate danger? Call 999
    2. Listen
    3. Reassure
    4. Give information
    5. Arrange follow up if appropriate

    If the student feels that they need help at that moment but there is no immediate danger, you could suggest the following resources

    • 111 – 24 hour non-emergency health advice. The caller is asked questions to determine the nature of the problem. The 111 team will coordinate a response from a duty doctor or the police if necessary, or recommend further action.
    • 101 – 24 hour non-emergency police enquiries. The 101 team will gather information and identify appropriate action – this might involve contacting medical services, or arranging for a welfare call. As part of the Street Triage Service a Community Psychiatric Nurse may accompany police officers if a student is experiencing mental health difficulties. 
    • The Samaritans are available 24/7, 365 days a year.
      Tel: 116 123 (Freephone)
    • Nightline is a listening, support and information service run by students for students.

    Follow up

    Remind the student that they can contact their Student Support Co-ordinator, Wellbeing, Brookes Union Advice or their doctor for further support during working hours.