Types and names of awards

  • Undergraduate Modular Programme

    Designation of award (BA or BSC)

    Subjects are designated as Arts, Science or Neutral (please refer to the University Regulations B2.18 Award Titles). If you qualify in subjects designated Arts + Science or Neutral + Neutral, you may be awarded either a BA or BSc by the Examinations Committee. You should notify Student Central of your preference using Form M39 (Word) obtainable from Student Central. If you have not exercised your choice by the last day of semester at the end of which your award is made, you will be awarded a BSc.

    If you are registered for two single subjects, you may also use Form M39 to specify the order in which your subjects will be listed on your certificate.

    Leaving with a lower award

    You should also use Form M39 (Word) if you wish to leave the course with a BA, BSc, BEng or LLB degree without Honours (Ordinary degree), Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) or Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE), either as soon as you have met the requirements of the award or if you have not met the Honours requirements by a specific date.

    Students may notify Student Central of such decisions at any time during their course, but must do so by the end of their penultimate semester otherwise the conferment of their award may be delayed. Once notified, a decision may be amended at any time up to the above deadline using Form M39 again.

    Other awards

    In addition, the University offers another type of diploma. The Diploma in Advanced Study is a course for students usually already possessing some higher education qualification, who wish to take the equivalent of one year's full-time study for personal or vocational reasons.

    To qualify for this diploma, at least six Level 5 / Level 6 Honours module credits must be passed. A student wishing to specialise in a particular subject may take the Graduate Diploma, for which at least eight Level 5 / Level 6 Honours module credits, which are acceptable to the chosen subject, must be passed.

    Graduate Diplomas are only available in a small number of subjects which have been validated for this award and are only available to Graduates.

    Courses outside of the Undergraduate Modular Programme

    There are a wide variety of awards available on courses outside of the Undergraduate Modular Programme. These range from Foundation level awards (eg FdSc, FdA) through to Masters level awards (eg MSc, MA) and professional qualifications (eg PGCE, MArchD). A complete list of all of the academic awards available at the University can be found in the University Regulations.

    There will typically only be a few awards available on your course: the main award that you are aiming for and a selection of lower ‘exit’ awards. For example, if you enrol to do an MSc, then a Postgraduate Diploma and a Postgraduate Certificate may be available as an exit award if you aren’t successful in completing your course or if you choose to leave before meeting the requirements of the MSc.

    The details of the awards available to you can be found in the Programme Specification and Course Handbook for your course.

    Change of award aim for courses outside the Undergraduate Modular Programme

    If you decide that you want to change your award aim (ie the award that you are studying towards), then the first thing you should do is speak with your Student Support Co-ordinator and/or Academic Adviser. They will be able to give you advice and guidance about making the change.

    If you still wish to make the change after seeking advice, then you need to complete an F39 Award Aim Change Form available via your Moodle login or via the Student Request Forms - Forms for all other courses page.