Frequently asked questions

Can everyone go on exchange?

Most undergraduate students can apply to go on exchange with their academic department’s approval. Students should have completed the first year of their course successfully and be of good academic standing, i.e. have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.5 . 

Click here to read more about how to apply.

Where can I go?

Please visit our Exchange Partners pages for information on what each university has to offer. It is important to check if the university of interest offers the appropriate number of modules relevant to your subject area. 

  • Europe
    European universities are linked with specific subjects areas at Brookes. 
  • Outside Europe
    Oxford Brookes has exchange agreements with universities in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Kazakhstan, Mexico, New Zealand, Thailand, Uruguay, the United States and Vietnam. Universities in these countries are open to all subjects unless specified. The only Japanese partner university open to non-Japanese studies students is Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU).

Is the exchange programme part of my degree?

Your programme at Brookes is credited with the study you undertake at the host university. You do not normally have to increase the length of your programme. However, some courses require students who wish to study abroad to do so by adding an additional year to their programme. This is non credit-bearing. 

Click here to learn more about modules and credits.

When do I need to start applying?

Most students go on exchange during the second year of their degree. The main application deadline is in February so you will need to start planning your exchange right from the beginning of your first year. 

Find out more about how to apply here.

Do I have to pay fees?

Before you leave, you will need to pay your tuition fees to Oxford Brookes or to confirm with Oxford Brookes that your Student Loans Company will contribute towards your fees as usual. You might be also entitled to a tuition fee waiver. You do not have to pay any tuition fees to the host university.

For more information about money matters click here.

Am I responsible for paying accommodation and flights? What are the other costs I need to consider?

You will be responsible for costs such as travel and accommodation. Other costs you need to consider are health insurance and visas.
Students with finance based on household income may qualify for a travel grant from Student Finance England.

Please note that if you are going on exchange for one semester only, you will be responsible for finding someone to take over your accommodation in the UK.  If you are unable to do this, you will have to cover the cost of your accommodation commitments at home, as well as abroad.

Click here for more information about money matters.

I am doing a combined degree - can I still go on exchange?

Some students doing combined degrees are able to go on exchange to one or two of our partner universities as long as your academic department(s) approve those choices. Discuss this with the relevant member of staff in your faculty.

If I don't speak any other languages than English, can I still go to non English speaking countries on exchange?

If the institution is in a country where English is not the official language you will need to check whether they teach in English. In some case it is essential to have a good knowledge of the language of the country. 
Find out more about free Erasmus+ online language support.
Full-time undergraduate students can take one free language module per year at Brookes. Find out more on about studying our free language modules.

How do I know what courses I need to take while abroad?

You will discuss this with the relevant member of staff in your faculty during the application process.

What do I do if I don't get the GPA?

If you do not get the required 2.5 GPA in time for the application process in February – don’t panic! You can apply once your Semester 2 results have been released in June as a late applicant, providing you have the GPA then. We will still have a number of places left at partner universities for semester 2 only, so email us to see if you could be eligible as a late applicant.