Common questions about part-time study

Can I study any course part time and how long does it take?

Most of our courses can be studied full-time, part-time, or a mix of both.

You have the same choice as full-time students, you just study at a slower rate, taking one to three modules each semester and usually gaining your honours degree in five to six years. Courses that involve a compulsory work placement or supervised work experience may take longer.

You will probably attend the University two half-days a week, but for some courses this requirement can rise to three or four half days.

How flexible is part-time study?

We seek to be as accommodating as possible to individual circumstances.

For instance, part-time students, and students who are parents, are given priority when seminar teaching groups are allocated. Similarly, if you have been offered a full-time place and wish to convert to part-time before taking up your place you are likely to be able to do so.

You should be able to plan your likely timetable a year ahead but few of the courses are confined to one particular day of the week, so you are probably not going to be able to set aside the same day for attendance over the whole period of a degree.

We encourage all our students to seek all the support they need. However, if you did run into difficulties and need to take a break, you can ask for ‘approved time out’ and your academic adviser can guide you through the implications of this.

Do I get any kind of award if I don’t complete my degree?

Progress through a course is made by accumulating credits for each module passed. You may be entitled to the award of a Certificate of Higher Education on gaining eight basic module credits, or a Diploma of Higher Education on passing 16 module credits at basic and advanced level.

What will it cost?

Details on fees can be found in our section on Undergraduate finance

As a part-time student, you may be eligible for support with fees through Student Finance England. For information about funding for part time students please visit the Student Finance England website.

What support is there while I study?

We offer a wide range of support to all students, both academic and personal.

Is there help for students with children?

Students can use the university nursery, which caters for children between the ages of 4 months and 5 years.

Information and advice is available from the Brookes Union Advice Service about any state support you may be entitled to.

What qualifications do I need and how do I apply?

If you are under 21 you will need to meet the usual entry requirements and must meet the specific requirements of each course.

If you have not studied for a while and wish to discuss the entry procedure we recommend you contact the Admissions Office for advice.

All applications for part-time courses are made directly to the university.

Contact us

Any questions?

For help or advice about studying at Oxford Brookes please contact our:

Enquiry Centre

+44 (0) 1865 484848