Go to the Students section
Go to the Staff section
Go to the Alumni section
Go to the Study here section
Go to the International section
Go to the About section
Go to the Research section
Go to the Business and Employers section
Go to the Support us section
If you are looking to stay in Oxford over the summer, we offer accommodation in a number of halls of residence in June, July and August.
If you have a long contract and do not wish to stay for the summer, you may be able to find a replacement tenant to take your room for this period.
Please see below for information on summer accommodation options.
You may wish to find another student to take over the rest of your contract if you do not intend to stay here over the summer.
Conditions for the student taking over your contract
How to find a room swap
1. Advertise your room
- we recommend using Facebook pages such as the Brookes Union's Housing Group, but you can advertise anywhere you choose.
2. Once you have found someone, you will need to arrange for them to view your room and confirm that they are happy to swap.
3. Book a room swap appointment by emailing us at
email@example.com - both you and the student taking over the room must attend the swap appointment at the Accommodation Bureau so that we can swap your contract over.
Please note there is a £32.50 charge for making the adjustment to your contract which will be charged to you once you have swapped.
If the student is moving in on the 7 June 2019 you will need to vacate and return your keys by 31 May. You will need to leave your room in a reasonable condition and return your keys to Cheney Reception. If you have not already done so, please
complete your deposit return form.
What you need to know
How to find a room
1. Look for a student who wishes to leave their contract at Cheney. We recommend using Facebook pages such as the Brookes Union's Housing Group, as many students will advertise here.
2. Contact the student offering the room you want in order to arrange a viewing and to confirm you are happy to swap.
3. You and the student offering the room will need to book a swap appointment at the Accommodation Bureau by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crescent Hall offers summer accommodation which is flexible and affordable - you can choose to stay for just a few weeks or for the whole summer.
How to book
1. Send us an email at email@example.com, letting us know the dates of accommodation you need.
2. We will contact you in due course to confirm whether a room is available for your requested dates.
3. Once you have confirmed your booking dates, we will issue you with your booking confirmation by email.
Please note: once you confirm the dates, accept the terms and conditions and receive the confirmation, we are unable to cancel or reduce your contract length.
4. If you’re not sure how long you want to stay we suggest you book for an initial two weeks. You can extend your booking once you know how long you want to stay. Please contact us at
if you need any more information.
It is important to remember that contracts with both halls of residence and Brookes Lettings properties are legally binding. We do not recommend accepting one if you think you may shortly change your mind. However, we understand that students’ circumstances can change and we aim to help if possible. Please check our advice below if you no longer wish to live in our accommodation.
This information refers to Cheney Student Village, Clive Booth Hall, Paul Kent Hall, Crescent Hall, Westminster Hall, Lady Spencer Churchill Hall, Thames Street, Friar Court and all Brookes Lettings houses.
If you no longer want your room but you will be continuing with your course:
You cannot cancel your contract once the start date has passed - it does not matter whether or not you have picked up the keys and moved in, as the room is still contracted to you. However, you are welcome to advertise for another full-time
Brookes student to take over the contract from you. The student must not already have a room contracted to them. When you find someone, contact us to arrange transferring the contract. There will be an admin fee of £32.50 charged for the transfer.
You may wish to begin by advertising your room on Facebook, via the
Brookes Union's Housing Group.
If you are withdrawing from the university or deferring your place:
As part of the academic withdrawal, you will be asked to give details of your accommodation and notify us of your leaving date. Once your keys are returned to your hall, your contract ends. If you retain your keys, you will continue to be charged,
so please return them promptly. Any overpaid rent will be refunded to you, apart from the original £230 booking confirmation fee.
As well as Brookes housing and halls of residence, we also offer halls managed by the companies Unite Students, A2Dominion, Host Student and CRM Students.
These partnership halls have their own contracts, and their own terms for ending these contracts. Please check your contract, or contact the relevant company directly to find out the terms of cancellation, before accepting your room.