Bridging Loan

  • Students whose statutory funding for maintenance/living costs is delayed or who are awaiting NHS reimbursement can apply for a Bridging Loan or essential living costs. This loan is not normally for accommodation costs. 

    Bridging Loan application form »   FAQs »

  • A Bridging Loan is for full-time students who have applied for statutory funding and who are awaiting their first payment. You will need to provide evidence that you have applied for the maximum free overdraft facility allowed by your bank.

    A Bridging Loan is also available for NHS students awaiting reimbursement from the NHS.  

    The usual amount is £250 for students without dependants and £350 for students with dependants.

    The loan is intended for essential living costs only, not usually for accommodation costs.  

    The loan is repayable in full within 4 weeks of it being issued.

    A condition of the loan is that you provide us with your debit card details for repayment on the agreed date.

    For NHS students awaiting reimbursement from the NHS, the loan is repayable on the reimbursement due date.  

    Please contact the Financial Aid Team by emailing or by visiting the Student Central helpdesk in the JHB Building if your statutory funding is further delayed. You will need to inform us the day prior to the repayment due date at the latest. Please provide evidence regarding the delay and new anticipated repayment date.

    Complete the application form (Word .doc) and submit all the evidence required. There is an evidence check list on the back of the application form. 

    Please submit photocopies of evidence only as we will not be able to return any documents to you.

    Return the form to the Student Central helpdesk in the JHB Building, or scan and email as a PDF to

    We will notify you within 3 working days of your completed application being received with the outcome of your application by emailing your Brookes email address. If a loan is agreed, we will send you a loan agreement form to sign and return, and will request your card details for repayment of the loan on the due date.

    The Brookes Union Advice Service located on the first floor of the JHB Building can help you chase delayed statutory funding by contacting SFE or the NHS on your behalf. 

    They also offer budget and debt management advice.