Areas of expertise
My research espertise lies in the following fields: housing and land policy, macro and micro analysis of housing market, residential mobility, housing finance and mortgage market, housing need and affordability, social and affordable housing policy and house building industry. My speciality is qualitative policy evaluation and quantitative modelling on the housing market using large data sets.
Membership of professional bodies
Associate and Visiting Fellowship
- The Associate, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economy since Oct. 2005
- Visiting fellow in KRIHS (Korea Research Institute for Human Settlement) 2005-7
Membership of Research Network
- Member of the Asian Pacific Network for Housing Research (APNHR)
- Member of Society of Property Research, UK
- Member of the Housing Studies Association (HSA)
- Member of the European Real Estate Society (ERES)
- Member of the European Network for Housing Research (ENHR)
- Member of the Asian Real Estate Society (AsRES)
- Member of the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AREUEA)
Membership of Committees
- Korea Committee Board Member of Asian Pacific Network for Housing Research (APNHR) since 2008
- Research Fund Review Panel Committee
- Invited to review panel for Research Development Fund project: Jiaotong-Liverpool University 2013
- External examiner of the Research Grants Council (RGC) of Hong Kong
- APNHR 2015 Abstract/Paper Review Committee
AsRES & AREUEA conference 2011, Plenary Speaker Plenary session : private rented sector in the UK
APNHR 2015 : Plenary Speaker Plenary Session 1: Housing Economy and Policy
Editorial Board member
- Editorial Board, Housing Studies Review, Korean Association for Housing Policy Studies since 2008.
- Guest Editor of Journal of The Korean Housing Association, 2015
- Editorial Board, Journal of the Korea Real Estate Analysts Association. The Korea Real Estate Analysts Association since 2010.
- Construction Management and Economics, since 2007
- Building Research and Information, since 2010
- International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis since 2010
- Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management 2011
- Journal of Housing and the Built Environment since 2011
- Housing Studies 2013
- Housing Theory and Society since 2014
- Urban Studies since 2015
Cho and Whitehead C. Moving to more deprived areas: What is happening? Why?, The American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AREUEA) annual international conference, Alicante, Spain on July 7-8, 2016,
Hwang S, Cho Y, Shin J (2016), ‘Overconfidence by households in the UK Housing Market’. The American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association (AREUEA) annual international conference, Alicante, Spain on July 7-8, 2016,
Cho and Whitehead C. Moving to deprived areas: Why is this happening? Does it matter? ENHR conference, 19th- 22nd June 2013, Tarragona Spain,
Cho Y., S. Hwang, Y Lee What Makes Appraisers Smooth Property Values? July 2012 ASSA-AREUREA conference.
Cho, Y., Cho, M, Pang, S. Kim, K ‘Government Intervention in Housing Supply and the Housing Output: A comparison of five global cities.’ July 2011 AsRES & AREUEA conference
Cho.Y and Turner, P, High-density living in England: recent trends and directions for future growth July 2011 AsRES & AREUEA conference
Cho, Y. An analysis of UK housebuilding sector’s responses to the policy changes: strategic or opportunistic? ENHR conference, 2010, Istanbul, Turkey.
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Modeling the Take Up of Low Cost Home Ownership Products in the UK, ENHR, July 2008, Dublin.
Cho, Y. , S. Monk, C. Whitehead, ‘Modelling tenure choice: low cost home ownership in the UK’, ENHR, June 2007, Rotterdam.
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Housing Tenure and Residential Mobility in England APNHR, August 2007, Seoul, Korea.
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Affordable Low Cost Home Ownership: UK Case Study, ENHR, Ljubljana, July 2006
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Sustainable Low Cost Home Ownership indifferent housing market: An empirical assessment of UK government schemes, ERES Conference, Dublin, June 2005
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Benefits and Risks of Low Cost Home Ownership, ENHR Reykjavik, July 2005
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Mobility Aspirations among London Households, ENHR, Cambridge, July 2004
Cho, Y. and C. Whitehead, Residential Mobility of Social Tenants in England: the Pattern and Causes, APNHR, Hong Kong, Feb. 2004