- P33509 Advanced Construction Technology and BIM
- P33510 BIM in Practice
- P33507: Managing Technology for Sustainable Environments
- U33510 Construction Communication and Information Technology 1 (Computer-Aided-Design)
- U33528 Construction Communication and Information Technology 2 (Building Information Modelling)
Research Degree Supervision
Current PhD supervision
Karim Farghaly Ibrahim (2016- ) Building Information Modelling – Big Data for facilities management
Zainab Shamsiya Usman (2015- ) Using Semantic Web technology to recommend sustainable building technology products
Sheikh Ali Sh Said (2015- ) An investigation into the use of emerging Building Information Modelling in modelling mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) services in buildings.
Completed MSc supervision
- Howells D. (2017) The potential of augmented and virtual reality in the construction industry
- Amin K. (2017) Towards the development of a BIM plan of work for construction projects in Egypt
- Kane W. (2017) Investigating the use of BIM as a tool for construction logistics management
- Clews S.R. (2017) Radio frequency identification in construction: The benefits the technology can bring to BIM and subsequently to construction project management
- Lale H.M. (2017) Investigating application barriers of BIM adoption in the UK: In particular interoperabilityof software
Shilpa Javali (2016) Improving the delivery of construction projects: A comparative study of Building Information Modelling and Product Lifecycle Management Approaches
Laxmi Gurung (2016) BIM-Based Project Management for Post-Disaster Reconstruction Nepal: A Strategy for Efficient Coordination and Planning
Alexander Cooke (2016) Advancements in Construction Automation: Concrete Printing as a Disruptive Technology
- Kennedy Kogo (2015-2016) An investigation into the use of common data environments for construction management
- Musa Adamu Musa (2015-2016) An investigation into 4D Project planning risk management using Emerging Building Information Modelling
- Alaa Karrar (2015-2016) Building Information Modelling adoption strategies: SMEs perspectives
- Hani Al Idilbi Alwan (2014-2015) An investigation into the potential of BIM for clash detection in buildings
- Katie Cross (2013-2015, part-time): Enhancing sustainability in the construction industry through Building Information Modelling: The case of Abu Dhabi.
- Djibril Djawara (2013-2014, full-time): Building Information Modelling for sustainable building performance assessment
Henry’s research interest is in the applications of emerging Building Information Modelling, Semantic Web and Linked Data technologies in managing knowledge in the Sustainable Building domain
Research group membership
Active roles in different organisations
- An assessor at the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), UK
- A member of the (CIB) Task Group 90 Information Integration in Construction
- A member of the CIB Task Group TG93– Building Zero Energy Settlements
- A member of the Faculty of Technology, Design and Environment Athena SWAN self assessment team
- A member of the the Equality Challenge Unit
- A lead coordinator of Oxford Brookes Africa Business Forum
- Steering committee member of the Oxford BIM Region (South East of England) (http://www.oxfordbim.com/meet-the-team.html#.VzS_3IQrKHs )
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET)
- Member of the Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM)
- Member of the European Energy Centre (MEEC)
International conference roles
- Session Chair IFIP WG8.3 and AIS SIG DSS
- Session Chair of the ICKEOE 2015: XIII International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Ontological Engineering, January 19-20, London, UK (https://www.waset.org/conference/2015/01/london/ICKEOE)
- Involved in the organization of the International Conference on Engineering, Applied Science and System Modeling, ICEASSM 2017, Ghana, April 19 - 21, 2017
- International Scientific Review Panel: World Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2017 Hong Kong (WSBE17 Hong Kong), 5-7 June 2017, Hong Kong (http://www.wsbe17hongkong.hk/international-scientific-review-panel)
Keynote addresses and lectures
- Guest lecture for civil engineering students at Institut universitaire de technologie de Tarbes, France on emerging BIM, 16 December 2014 (http://www.enit.fr/fr/hidden/recherche/les-manifestations-scientifiques--congres--seminaires.html )
- Seminar on BIM to researchers in the Laboratoire de Génie Production, Ecole Nationale d'Ingénieurs de Tarbes, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France, 18 December 2014
- Guest lecture on applied quantitative research methods for postgraduate students on Development and Emergency Practice (DEP) programme, School of Architecture Oxford Brookes University, UK, 24 April 2014
Reviewer roles: conferences and journals
- Shortlisted for Student-Led Brookes Teaching Awards for 2015; voted by students
- School of the Built Environment Scholarship for 2009 (one-year PhD fee waived)
Research grants and awards
- Feasibility of a Photovoltaic System as an Energy Source to Residential Buildings in Nigeria: A Case study of Lagos State” (Advisor). Funded by Economic Commission of West African States (ECOWAS) Centre for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, Grant value: €1500, duration: 6 months. (http://ecowgen.ecreee.org/index.php/ecowas-research-grant-program-five-research-proposals-to-receive-funding-2/)
- Development of an Intelligent Ontology Construction Cost Estimation System (Principal Investigator, co-funded by Ecole Nationale d'Ingénieurs de Tarbes, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, France and the Oxford Brookes University Central Research Fund), Grant value £3032
- Modelling household occupants’ behaviour using emerging Building Information Modelling (BIM) (Principal Investigator, Santander Research Grant – Scholarship). This research is being conducted in collaboration with Professor Luisa Cabeza of the Universidad de Lleida. Grant value £1860
- Green Jobs Creation Through Sustainable Refurbishment in Developing Countries (Co-investigator, International Labour Office funded); Grant value £10k, November 2007 – March 2008.
- Research-based learning for undergraduate students (Principal investigator, Oxford Brookes Reinvention Centre funded); Grant value £750
- Review of Design and Engineering Buildings (Principal investigator, funded by Raintree Publishers Oxford, United Kingdom), Grant value £100.
- Governing Inclusive Green Growth in Africa – GIGGA (Co-Investigator). Funded by Economic and Social Research Council, UK, 2017-2018, £144 360
- BIM for Facilities Management (150th Anniversary Scholarship) (Principal Investigator). Funded by Oxford Brookes University, 2015-2018, £80 000
Abanda FH, Kamsu-Foguem B, Tah JHM, 'BIM : new rules of measurement ontology for construction cost estimation'
Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal 20 (2) (2017) pp.443-459
ISSN: 2215-0986 eISSN: 2215-0986
Enongene KE, Murray P, Holland J, Abanda FH, 'Energy savings and economic benefits of transition towards efficient lighting in residential buildings in Cameroon'
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 78 (2017) pp.731-742
ISSN: 1364-0321 eISSN: 1364-0321
Abanda FH, Oti AH, Tah JHM, 'Integrating BIM and New Rules of Measurement for Embodied energy and CO2 assessment'
Journal of Building Engineering (2017)
ISSN: 2352-7102 eISSN: 2352-7102
Abanda FH, Byers L, 'An investigation of the impact of building orientation on energy consumption in a domestic building using emerging BIM (Building Information Modelling)'
Energy 97 (2016) pp.517-527
ISSN: 0360-5442 eISSN: 0360-5442
Oti AH, Tizani W, Abanda FH, Jaly-Zada A and Tah JHM, 'Structural sustainability appraisal in BIM'
Automation in Construction 69 (September 2016) (2016) pp.44-58
ISSN: 0926-5805 eISSN: 0926-5805
Abanda FH, Manjia MB, Enongene KE, Tah JHM, Pettang C, 'A feasibility study of a residential photovoltaic system in Cameroon'
Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 17 (2016) pp.38-49
ISSN: 2213-1388 eISSN: 2213-1388
Malama A, Makashini L, Abanda H, Ng'ombe A, Mudenda P, 'A Comparative Analysis of Energy Usage and Energy Efficiency Behavior in Low-and High-Income Households: The Case of Kitwe, Zambia'
Resources 4 (4) (2015) pp.871-902
ISSN: 2079-9276 eISSN: 2079-9276
Abanda FH, Kamsu-Foguem B, Tah JHM, 'Towards an intelligent ontology construction cost estimation system: using BIM and new rules of measurement techniques'
International Journal of Computer, Control, Quantum and Information Engineering 9 (1) (2015)
Abanda FH, Vidalakis C, Oti AH, Tah JHM, 'A critical analysis of Building Information Modelling systems used in construction projects'
Advances in Engineering Software 90 (December 2015) (2015) pp.183-201
ISSN: 0965-9978 eISSN: 0965-9978
Abanda F, Manjia M, Cole E, Mempouo B, 'The Potential of Efficient Improved Mud-Brick Cookstove in Cameroon: An Exploratory Study'
Environmental Management and Sustainable Development 4 (1) (2015)
ISSN: 2164-7682 eISSN: 2164-7682
Kamsu-Foguem B, Abanda FH, 'Experience modeling with graphs encoded knowledge for construction industry'
Computers in Industry 70 (2015) pp.79-88
ISSN: 0166-3615 eISSN: 0166-3615
Abanda FH, Manjia MB, Pettang C, Tah JHM, Nkeng GE, 'Building Information Modelling in Cameroon: Overcoming Existing Challenges'
International Journal of 3-D Information Modeling 3 (4) (2014)
ISSN: 2156-1710 eISSN: 2156-1710
Abanda FH, Elambo NG, Tah J, Fabrice O, Blanche MM, 'Embodied energy and CO2 analyses of mud-brick and cement-block houses'
AIMS Energy 2 (1) (2014)
ISSN: 2333-8326 eISSN: 2333-8326
Abanda F, Tah J, Duce D, 'PV-TONS: a photovoltaic technology ontology system for the design of PV-systems'
Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence 26 (4) (2013) pp.1399-1412
ISSN: 0952-1976 eISSN: 0952-1976
Abanda FH, Tah JHM, Keivani R, 'Trends in built environment semantic web applications: Where are we today?'
Expert Systems with Applications 40 (14) (2013) pp.5563-5577
ISSN: 0957-4174 eISSN: 0957-4174
Abanda F, Tah J, Cheung F, 'Mathematical modelling of embodied energy, greenhouse gases, waste, time–cost parameters of building projects: a review'
Building and Environment 59 (January) (2013) pp.23-37
ISSN: 0360-1323 eISSN: 0360-1323
Abanda F H, 'Renewable Energy Sources in Cameroon: Potentials, Benefits and Enabling Environment'
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16 (2012) pp.4557-4562
ISSN: 1364-0321 eISSN: 1364-0321
Abanda F, Ng’ombe A, Keivani R, Tah J, 'The link between renewable energy production and gross domestic product in Africa: A comparative study between 1980 and 2008'
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16 (4) (2012) pp.2147-2153
ISSN: 1364-0321 eISSN: 1364-0321
Manjia M, Pettang C, Abanda F, 'Urban self-building labour cost modelling in cameroon'
Journal of Construction in Developing Countries 16 (2) (2011) pp.69-90
ISSN: 1823-6499 eISSN: 1823-6499
Abanda H, Ng'ombe A, Tah J, Keivani R, 'An ontology-driven decision support system for land delivery in Zambia'
Expert Systems with Applications 38 (9) (2011) pp.10896-10905
ISSN: 0957-4174 eISSN: 0957-4174
Tah J, Abanda F, 'Sustainable building technology knowledge representation: using semantic web techniques'
Advanced Engineering Informatics 25 (3) (2011) pp.547-558
ISSN: 1474-0346 eISSN: 1474-0346
Enongene K, Murray P, Holland J, Abanda F, Manjia M, 'Patterns in the use of domestic energy applicances in Cameroon'
Ibrahim KF, Abanda FH, Vidalakis C, Woods G, 'BIM for FM: Input versus Output data'
Saba D, Laallam FZ, Berbaoui B, Abanda FH, 'An Energy Management Approach in Hybrid Energy System Based on Agent's Coordination'
Musa AM, Abanda FH, Oti AH, 'Assessment of BIM for Managing Scheduling Risks in Construction Project Management'
Abanda FH, Tah JHM, 'Free and Open source Building Information Modelling for developing countries'
Kurul E, Abanda H, Tah JH, Cheung F, 'Rethinking the build process for BIM adoption'
CIB World Building Congress Construction and Society. Australia (2013) pp.1-13
Tah JH, Zhou W, Abanda F, Cheung F, 'Towards a holistic modeling framework for embodied carbon and waste in the building lifecycle'