Jane's current research interests include:
Safeguarding children and child protection
Health visiting assessment
Community nursing practice
Children and young people's emotional health and wellbeing
Research grants and awards
Current Research Grants
- Appleton, J.V., Pike, N. and Powell, C (2013- 2014) The child sexual exploitation (CSE) knowledge and training needs of health care staff: an audit study. Funded by Health Education, Thames Valley.
- Appleton, J.V. and Powell, C (2013-2014) Professional and organizational responses to children's missed health care appointments: a child protection concern? Pilot work . Funded by NSPCC.
- Appleton, J.V. (Aug 2012- Aug 2013) Developing on-line learning resources to develop trainee health visitors' skills in assessing mother-infant interactions. Funded by Higher Education Academy (HEA) Teaching Development Grant.
- Appleton, J.V. and Coombes, L. (Nov. 2012 - Mar. 2013) Interventions to families who are under the child protection categories of neglect/emotional abuse. Funded by Faculty.
- Appleton, J.V. and Martin, J. ( 2012-2013) Exploring lifestyles with adolescent patients. Funded by Oxford Brookes.
Recent Research Grants
- Appleton, J.V. and Powell, C (2012) Children's missed health care appointments: A Scoping Review. Funded by NSPCC.
- Appleton, J.V. and Coombes, L. (Nov. 2011- Nov. 2012) Evaluation of Action for Children Schools Impact. Funded by Action for Children.
- Appleton, J.V. and Aveyard, H. (2012) A systematic review of standardised tools for assessing parent-infant interactions. Funded by Faculty.
- Appleton, J.V., Martin, J. and Kennedy, S. (June 2012- Dec. 2012) A Review of Assessment Tools to Measure Childhood Overweight and Obesity. Funded by British Academy.
- Appleton, J.V. and Oates, J. (2010) Collaborative working with Children’s Centres: a research and development project. Funded by DH. Collaborative study: with Open University.
- Appleton, J.V. and Coombes, L. (2009) A pilot study of the Strengthening Families model of child protection conferences to examine interagency working, family and outcomes for children'. Funded by British Council. Collaborative study: with CRIPACC University of Hertfordshire and Kanazawa Medical University, Japan.
partnership and outcomes for children at risk. Funded by University Central Research Fund and Oxford County Council.
- Appleton, J.V. and Ritchie, C. (2009) ‘What works in tackling the effects of child deprivation? A literature review'. Funded by Action for Children
- Appleton, J.V. and Ritchie, C. (2009) ‘National and international perspectives on the role, process and function of child protection conferences. What works in promoting child wellbeing?'. Funded by Oxford Brookes Central Research Fund.
- Appleton, J.V., Harris, M. and Oates J. (2008) ‘A Pilot Study To Evaluate The Accuracy of Health Visitor Assessments of The Quality of Mother-Infant Interactions'. Funded by Burdett Trust for Nursing.
- Appleton, J.V. (2008) ‘Child Abuse Research Development Work'. Funded by Oxford Brookes University Central Research Fund.
- Kendall, S., Kitaoka, K, Appleton, J.V., Bloomfield, L. and Petrie, J. (2008) ‘A comparative study of the effect of group based parenting support on parental stress
- Appleton, J.V. (2003-2007) ‘Safeguarding Children: The Management and Organisation of Child Protection Responsibilities in Primary Care', Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. Funded by PPP Consortium for Healthcare Research.