Areas of expertise
- Artist teacher pedagogies; creative pedagogies and curriculum design
- Teacher training and continuing professional development
- Visual methods and methodologies
- Arts and cultural policy, pedagogy and curriculum
- Museum and gallery pedagogy
Membership of professional bodies
- 2020: Fellow Royal Society of the Arts
- 2019: The Higher Education Academy Senior Teaching Fellow status
- 2019: Fellow National Society for Education in Art and Design (NSEAD)
- January 2019 – 21: President, NSEAD.
- January 2018-19: President Elect, NSEAD.
- January 2016-2017: Vice President, NSEAD.
- May 2015: core member of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) Art, Craft and Design Education, organising the re-configured APPG in light of the general election.
- March 2014-ongoing: Council member of NSEAD.
- 2013-14: Chair of Oxford Art Teach (OAT), a voluntary art education group constructed to support local CPD in subject pedagogy.
- 2012: Co-creator of OAT.
- 2008: The Higher Education Academy Teaching Fellow status.
2020: School of Art, Fine Art Undergraduate Programme Periodic Review
2019: Art and design in the primary curriculum; planning, delivering and assessing the impact of a series of training events aimed to support Newly Qualified Teachers, Early Career Teachers and Arts-Coordinators in primary education.
2011: Oxfordshire Art Teachers’ group: delivery of CPD to 25 secondary art teachers exploring current developments in art education and how to develop enquiry-based pedagogy in the art classroom.
2007-10: Arts Council England: annual audit of CPD within Creative Partnerships (CP) over three years. Responsibilities include liaising with colleagues, visiting and analysing data through interviews, observations and scrutiny of documentation; dissemination of analysis.
2008: Museums Libraries and Archives (MLA): delivery of CPD on Teaching Outside the Classroom at an inset training day for teachers and education officers working in museums and galleries.
2008: engage: delivery of CPD on research methodology and analysis when working with young people with education gallery staff from Modern Art Oxford and MK Gallery, and art teachers from partnership schools.
2008: NSEAD: collaboration in writing group for NSEAD website; changes in 14-19 education in art/design.
2007-8: Stephen Lawrence Trust: contributed to identifying a profile of high ability in visual-spacial applications; use of MA dissertation research of high ability in visual arts in schools; contribution to writing and conducting research with primary and secondary schools with vocational excellence.
2007: Bourton Meadow Primary: delivery of whole school CPD to develop 3d practical skill and theoretical knowledge with the aim to extend creativity across the curriculum.
Payne, R (2017) 11.30am on a Sunday Morning. NSEAD Presidential address at Art and Design as Agent of Change, International Journal of Art and Design Education conference, National College of Art and Design, Dublin.
Payne, R (2017) Drawing Professional Worlds. Paper presented at Art and Design as Agent of Change, International Journal of Art and Design Education conference, National College of Art and Design, Dublin.
Payne, R & Hall, E (2016) Drawing a response to the NSEAD’s Survey Report. Paper presented at Art and Design Education in Times of Change, International Journal of Art and Design Education (Insea) Regional conference, Austrian Centre for Didactics of Art, Textiles & Design, Vienna.
Payne, R & Hall, E (2016) Art, Craft and Design in Education in the UK: The Current (Damaged) Picture. Visual paper presented at Drawing, International Journal of Art and Design Education conference, University of Chester.
Payne, R (2011) Seen, unseen or overlooked? How can visual perception develop through a multimodal inquiry? Paper presented at Centrality of Art, Design and the Performing Arts to Education, International Journal of Art and Design Education conference, University of Chester.
Payne, R (2020) Is education as we know it, dead? NSEAD Presidential address at Voices, Value and the Visual Arts, National Society for Education in Art and Design Conference (online).
Payne, R (2020) Academic Poster Design, an asynchronous resource for academics presented at the Brookes Learning and Teaching Conference
Payne, R (2020) Unlearning/releaning through Practice Based Pedagogies, at Principles into Practice School of Education research conference, Oxford Brookes University
Payne, R (2019) Art and design education: Our unique contribution. NSEAD Presidential address at Art, craft and design is … shaping the future, National Society for Education in Art and Design Conference, Hepworth Wakefield.
Payne, R (2019) Building the arts back into the curriculum. Paper presented at the OTSA Deputy Head Teachers’ Conference, Oxford.
Payne, R (2019) Drawing social worlds. Paper presented at the School of Education Research Conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R; Kinch James, H & Moreton, A (2019) Students as teachers and researchers: The dissemination of student-led academic poster workshops. Academic poster presentation at Rising to the challenge: Reflecting a climate of change and opportunity in higher education, Brookes Teaching and Learning Conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R & Bird, J (2019) Developing curriculum in partnership: embedding the visual arts. Paper presented at Oxfordshire Head Teachers’ Conference 2019, Stratford-upon-Avon.
Payne, R (2018) Misrepresentations of art and design in Initial Teacher Education. Paper presented at the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Art, Craft and Design Education, House of Commons.
Payne, R (2018) Conference organiser of The Artist Teacher: Practices and Pedagogies Conference, Pitt Rivers Museum.
Payne, R & Jackson, I (2018) Affirming the Arts: Impact of The Big Draw Project in a Multi-Academy Trust. Professional dialogue and presentation at the Think Human Festival, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R (2018) Drawing Professional World. Paper presented at the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Research Conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R (2017) Drawing Professional Worlds. Paper presented at Creative Conversation: She Who Writes Her-story Rewrites History, Modern Art Oxford.
Payne, R (2017) Initial Teacher Education: A secondary perspective. Paper presented at All-Party Parliamentary Group for Art, Craft and Design Education, House of Commons.
Payne, R (2015) Visual art and creativity. Workshop delivered at Creativity for Change in Language Education conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Steenberg, L & Payne, R (2013) Interdisciplinary Film Club. Paper presented at Creative Futures at the heart of art, craft and design education, NSEAD conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R (2013) Artist Teacher Scheme: An overview. Paper presented at Creative Futures at the heart of art, craft and design education, NSEAD conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R (2011) How do Art and Design PGCE trainees develop professional practice when working with a craft expert? Paper presented at School of Education Research conference, Oxford Brookes University.
Taylor, S & Payne, R (2011) The advantages and limitations of PGCE student teachers working with craft practitioners. Paper presented at Collaborative Crafts conference, Manchester Metropolitan University.
Payne, R (2011) Seen, unseen or overlooked? How can visual perception develop through a multimodal inquiry? Paper presented at a School of Education seminar series, Oxford Brookes University.
Payne, R (2010) Do art teachers foster talent in their classrooms? Paper presented at the NSEAD conference, British Museum.
Taylor, S; Mindell, C & Payne, R (2010) Skills in The Making. Paper presented at the NSEAD conference, British Museum.
Payne, R & Mossop, S (2008) Partnership in the Oxford Brookes University – Modern Art Oxford Artist Teacher Scheme. Paper presented at the Artist Teacher Scheme conference, NSEAD, Tate Modern.
External Examiner roles:
2014-2017: External Examiner for Northampton University BA Primary Education art and design specialism
2009-2012: External Examiner for Colchester Institute Artist Teacher Scheme
2008-2012: External Examiner for Birmingham City University PGCE art, craft and design
2000-2004: Head of Art, Icknield Community College, Watlington, OX49 5RB
Learning, Teaching and Management Experience
- School of Arts Periodic Review (2019): panel member.
- BA in Photography validation (2018): panel member.
- ED50 MA in Education (2017-2018): chaired subject course committee meetings.
- ED50 MA in Education (2014/ 2018): contributed to PDT revalidation events.
- ED50 MA in Education Participative Process Review (2017-18): co-planned, delivered and assessed the event with the Programme Lead; it was attended by subject coordinators and the wider support team (admissions, finance, marketing, programme administrators).
- Foundation Degree in Creative Arts and Design Practice revalidation (2016): panel member.
- Module leader for U70131: Children and the Media (Level 5, 2015-18); U75105: Understanding Media (Level 4, 2012-2016), and U75136: Making News (Level 5, 2013-16).
- Deliver practical art sessions to Primary PGCE students as part of the U71285: Arts and Humanities module (2015-2017).
- Brookes Union Teaching Award for Most Effective Feedback (2015). As a result of receiving this award I was invited to work with a Principal Lecturer in Student Experience (PLSE) to co-deliver a number of cross-faculty assessment workshops (2016).
- Project planning and delivery of the Modern Magna Carta Challenge, a project linking schools and colleges to the University as part of the national Magna Carta 800 Committee celebrations (2015).
- Secondary PGCE Partnership Liaison Tutor (2012-13).
- Subject coordinator of the Secondary PGCE Art and Design programme (2004-2012).
- Module leader for Postgraduate Certificate in Advanced Educational Practice in Early Professional Development (2007-2010) and Mentoring New Teachers (2008-2009).
- Excellence in Cities Gifted and Talented programme (DfES/DCMS funded, 2004-2007).