My most recent publication is Discourse Deixis in Metafiction: The Language of Metanarration, Metalepsis and Disnarration (Routledge, 2019).
I co-edited Pronouns in Literature: Positions and Perspectives in Language (Palgrave, 2018)
Selected further publications are listed below.
Journal articles include:
- ‘Small stories in charity fundraising letters and the ethics of interwoven individualism’, Poetics Today (forthcoming).
- ‘Making and unmaking meaning in Alejandro Zambra’s Multiple Choice’, English Studies (2022) https://doi.org/10.1080/0013838X.2022.2043034
- 'Imagining differently: Relationships between reading and gaming habits, mental imagery construction, and perspective-taking when processing a fictional narrative scene', Anglistik 31.1 (2020): 155-181. https://doi.org/10.33675/ANGL/2020/1/11
- 'You and I, past and present: Cognitive processing of perspective', Diegesis 5.1 (2016): Empirical Approaches to Narrative.
- ‘Enhancing the critical apparatus for understanding metanarration: Discourse deixis refined’, Journal of Literary Semantics 39.2 (2010), 119-142. https://doi.org/10.1515/jlse.2010.007
Book chapters include:
- ‘Social deixis in literature’, in Sorlin, S. (ed), Stylistic Manipulation of the Reader in Contemporary Fiction (Bloomsbury, 2019), 50-69.
- ‘Discourse analysis’, in The Oxford Encyclopaedia of Literary Theory (Oxford University Press, 2019)
- ‘Positioning the reader in post-Apartheid literature of trauma: 'I' and 'you' in Zoë Wicomb's David's Story’, in Gibbons A. and Macrae A. (eds), Pronouns in Literature: Perspectives and Positions in Language (Palgrave Macmillan, 2018), 55-74.
- ‘Stylistics’, in Clayton, D. and Giovanelli, M. (eds), Knowing about Language (Routledge, 2016)
- ‘'You' and 'I' in charity fundraising appeals’, in Gardelle L. and Sorlin S. (eds), The Pragmatics of Personal Pronouns (John Benjamins, 2015), 105-124.
- ‘Literary Narrative’, in Jones, R.H. (ed), The Routledge Handbook of Language and Creativity (Routledge, 2015), 248-263.
- ‘Stylistics, Drama and Performance’, in Burke, M. (ed), The Routledge Handbook of Stylistics (Routledge, 2014), 253-267.
Other publications include:
- Employability: A Review of the Literature, 2016-2021, co-authored with Roger Dalrymple, Maia Pal and Shirley Shipman (Advance HE, 2021)
- 'The use and misuse of Language', in The Commission on the Donor Experience report (2017).
- English Language and Literature A/AS Level for AQA Student Book, co-authored with Marcello Giovanelli, Felicity Titjen and Ian Cushing (Cambridge University Press, 2015)
Research group membership
Sustainable and Resilient Futures Network
Oxford Brookes Language and Discourse (OBLaDi) research group
London Stylistics Circle
Poetics and Linguistics Association
International Society for the Study of Narrative
European Narratology Network
Research grants and awards
Internal funding awarded (listing only funding over £1000):
- £3000, 2021, School of English and Modern Languages Research Impact Funding
- £6199, 2020, School of English and Modern Languages Research Funding Scheme, to fund a study investigating linguistic triggers of trust and distrust in charity fundraising letters. Outputs include two journal articles and a trade magazine article (in progress).
- £9000, 2012, Faculty Research Award, to fund a project on perspective-taking in literary reading, outputs of which included two journal articles: ‘Imagining differently: Relationships between reading and gaming habits, mental imagery construction, and perspective-taking when processing a fictional narrative scene’, Anglistik: International Journal of English Studies 31 (1) (2020), 155-181, and ‘You and I, past and present: Cognitive processing of perspective’, Diegesis 5 (1) (2016), 64-80.
External funding awarded:
- £7478, 2021, Principal Investigator, Enterprise Educators UK Research Project Fund, external collaboration (with two Co-Investigators from the University of Birmingham, Dr. Mircea Scrob and Helen Hook), ‘Increasing Engagement with Enterprise Education in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences’.
- £4021, 2021, Co-Investigator, Advance HE, internal collaboration (with Dr. Roger Dalrymple as Principal Investigator and Dr. Shirley Shipman and Dr. Maïa Pal as Co-Investigators, all in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences), ‘Advance HE Employability: A Review of the Literature, 2016-2021’ the output of which, the 113-page review, was published in September 2021, alongside a programme of engagement activities including a podcast series and two international workshops.
- £500, 2017, Principal Investigator, ‘Engaging with Government’ AHRC/Institute for Government grant, funding the cost of the three-day training course and associated travel.
- £2,967, 2017, Principal Investigator, BA/Leverhulme Small Grant (SG170798), external collaboration (with two Co-Investigators, Prof. Billy Clark, Northumbria University and Dr. Marcello Giovanello, Aston University), ‘University English Programmes’ Response to the New English A Levels’, resulting in two co-authored articles in peer-reviewed journals - 'Responding to reform: How aware are HE English providers of A level reforms and how have they responded to them?', English in Education 52 (3) (2018), 248-262, and 'English after the post-2015 A level Reforms: HE Prerequisites and Perspectives', Changing English 25 (4) (2018), 384-395 - three conference presentations, and a presentation of the findings to University English.
www.integratingenglish.com - the website of a collaborative project, with Prof Billy Clark and Dr Marcello Giovanelli, including the undergraduate journal Mesh and the Lang-Lit Lab, a blog written for A level English teachers
www.whatthestudiessay.com - a website for people who work in charity communications, summarising useful academic research
www.everydaydeixis.com - a little web intro to deixis