At Oxford Brookes she was internally funded (2009-2010) to direct a cross-departmental team, writing a literature review on inter-professional education and practice. This culminated in several external publications (see below). The internal report was ‘Inter-professional Education and Collaborative Practice: a critical literature review’ by Morrison, M., Arthur, L., Floyd, A., Glenny, G., Westcott, L., Lansdown, G., Lloyd Jones, N., Vitali, S. with Bell. J. and Mickan, S. (OBU, 2010).
She was part of a successful team to conduct research, funded by the then QCA to establish a baseline of evidence for 14-19 education reforms (2007-2008). As principal researcher at Oxford Brookes in a team of five universities: Birmingham, Southampton, Newcastle, Oxford Brookes, and Oxford, a baseline of evidence at the start of 14-19 reforms in England was established.
At the time of commencement at OBU she was research team member of a project investigating diversity in leadership funded by the Centre for Excellence in Leadership (led by University of Southampton).
Previous and earlier funded research projects
- Equal status reviews (2005-2006)
- Director: a research programme that piloted equal status review-and-action projects in three post-primary institutions in Kerry, Ireland as part of that authority’s strategic framework for the equality management of its service.
- Cardiff: Review and evaluation of the city’s 14-19 provision (2005-2006)
Team member: applying case study and statistical analyses of secondary data sets for the purposes of the review, evaluation, and development of 14-19 provision
- Evaluation of Working Together for Success (2003-2005)
Co-director: an NCSL funded evaluation of the WTFS programme for headteacher and senior leadership teams in schools).
- Evaluation of ‘How teams make a difference’: The Impact of Team Working (2005)
- Team member: a combined NCSL funded evaluation of two NCSL programmes – ‘Working Together for Success’ and ‘Developing Capacity for Sustained Improvement’.
- Evaluation of Aim Higher (2005)
- Co-director: evaluation of local 14-19 provision in Lincolnshire
- Local Evaluation of the 14-19 Pathfinder Project: North Lincs (2004-2005)
- Co-director: a local evaluation and impact study focused upon college-school partnerships in 14-19 education & training.
- Review of 16-19 provision (2004)
- Co-director: for Torfaen LEA, Wales.
- Local Evaluation of the 14-19 Pathfinder Project: Boston, Lincs. (2003-2004)
- Co-director: evaluation of a college-schools partnership for 14-19 education & training.
- Leadership, development, and diversity in the Learning and Skills Sector (2003-2004)
- Team member: a joint project between the Universities of Lincoln and Warwick for the Learning and Skills Development Agency.
- POLESTAR Leonardo da Vinci project – use of new technologies in the implementation of vocational training policies (2002-2003) (University of Leicester)
- Principal investigator: a project that examined the impact of new technologies upon lifelong education, in particular vocational policies and practice.
- Impact of Museums, Libraries, and Archives upon learning, especially lifelong learning (2001-2002) (University of Leicester)
- Research methods consultant: to establish a learning impact ‘toolkit’ for practitioners in museums, libraries and archives.
- Evaluations of the National Health Schools Standard for Leicestershire LEA and Northamptonshire Health Promotion and Local Education Authority respectively (2000-2001)(University of Leicester)
- Co-director: two evaluations of existing health schools schemes in preparation for participation in the National Healthy School Standard.
OFSTED Inspections and Race Equality (1999-2000) (University of Leicester)
- Co-director: a project that examined the extent to which OFSTED reports applied those sections of the Framework for the Inspection of Schools (1995) that related to race equality
- The role of private teacher employment agencies (1995-1996 and 1998-1999) (University of Warwick/Leicester)
- Director: a first stage study of the emergence of private teacher employment agencies in the supply of temporary and permanent teachers in schools.
- Evaluation of aspects of the University for Industry (UfI) in the North East (1998) (University of Warwick)
- Co-project director: a DfEE funded evaluation of a non-departmental UfI initiative.
- The Role of Libraries in a Learning Society (1997) (University of Warwick)
- Co-director: a research project that applied case study approaches to investigate the role of libraries in a ‘learning society’.
- Public Libraries, Ethnic Diversity and Citizenship (1996-1997)(University of Warwick)
- Co-director: a project that applied mixed methodologies to investigate the role of public libraries in ethnically diverse settings.
- Teaching to time. Supply teachers' lives and work (1991-1995) (PhD awarded by the Department of Sociology, University of Warwick)
- Study focused the lives and work of substitute teachers who make short-term, part-time and/or discontinuous contributions to schooling.
- Value-added and distance travelled in adult residential education (1995) (University of Warwick)
- Principal research: Focus upon the College’s contribution added to the achievements of mature students.
- Teaching and Learning about Food and Nutrition in Schools (1992-1994) (University of Warwick)
- Field researcher: This was funded by the ESRC as part of The Nation's
- Diet Programme: The Social Science of Food Choice to explore the formal and informal ways in which children and adults experience food and eating in schools. Subsequently, obtained supplementary to conduct exploratory school studies in Denmark.
- Education Reforms in the UK and Japan (1993) (University of Warwick)
Researcher: A project funded by the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation, to explored the impact of recent education reforms in both countries.
- Supply Teaching: An Investigation of Policy, Processes, and People in English Schools 1991-1992. Co-director: Funded by the Leverhulme Trust.
- The Role of the Library in the Primary School 1990-1992 Funded by the British Library
- Information Skills in Further Education 1990 Funded by the British Library
- Introducing School Development Plans 1989-1990 Funded by Warwickshire LEA
- An evaluation of the Local Education Training Grants Scheme (LEATGS) Funded by Coventry LEA.
- An Evaluation of School-focused In-Service Education 1988-1989 Funded by Salford LEA
- An exploration of part-time education in a college of further education 1988-1989 M.Ed. thesis.