Areas of expertise
HR Reward expert - previously HR Reward Director for Prudential Europe & UK Ltd.
Peer-reviewed paper presented at ‘European Conference of Knowledge Management’ (Sept’ 2016) in Belfast.
Peer-reviewed paper presented at 'Making Waves: International Conference on Events & 10th AEME
Forum’, Bournemouth University (July 2013)
Previous to Oxford Brookes, I was a Senior Teaching Fellow at University of Warwick, in WMG from 2015-2017, and prior to that I was conducting my doctoral research and teaching at University of Exeter (2011-2014).
Before my academic career, I was a Reward professional:
Prudential Plc. (03/2008 – 08/2010)
Director of Reward – Prudential UK & Europe
Member of UK and HR leadership teams, I led a team of 12 reward and fleet professionals. I streamlined the
team and its focus through content and budget efficiencies. I managed the ‘vital basics’ with a £1.5m budget
and total reward value of >£120m: annual bonus design; salary and bonus planning; flexible benefits
enrolment; annual total reward statements; and, supply and maintenance of the company’s fleet. Other
strategic reward projects included:
• Quarterly ‘RemCo’ reports for the UK Remuneration Committee, including Group CEO and Group CFO
• Committees: Sales Bonus; Recognition Panel (Chair); and, Prudential Staff Charitable Trust Board
PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (03/2006 – 03/2008)
Reward & Recognition Leader – Tax and Advisory Practices & PwC Legal
High-profile internal consultancy role supporting: Tax practice, PwC Legal, & Advisory (Corporate Finance).
Driving the strategic total reward agenda to support a high performance culture and creating a ‘great place to
• Project management of IT reward projects, including bonus calculations, Pay Modeller and Market Pricer
• Proposed reward structure & strategy for PwC CEE region & newly formed PwC Audit practice in Japan
Centrica Plc. (09/2002 – 02/2006)
Head of Reward & Benefits – Centrica Upstream & Corporate (01/2005 – 02/2006)
Reward consultancy for: Centrica Energy (Upstream), OneTel, corporate functions and International
operations. Acting as an internal consultant, I was responsible for the creation and implementation of reward
strategies for the attraction and retention of talent, to drive high performance.
• Redesigned reward packages: job families, salary & incentive structures, contracts, pensions and benefits
• Renegotiated PMI scheme and set up of Trust arrangements (delivered savings of £250K p.a.)
Director, Benefits Projects – Centrica North America (Toronto, Canada) (2004)
Responsible for two strategically transformational HR projects, plus expatriate management and program
design, and executive total compensation review.
• Design and implementation of a Canadian Flexible Benefits package delivery savings of C$500K p.a.
• Hugely success introduction of single broad-based Employee Share Plan in US and Canada
Reward & Benefits Manager – British Gas Trading and Services (09/2002 – 12/2003)
Accountable for reward and benefits at British Gas, where I managed the strategic evolution towards a higher
performance culture and alignment to market rewards.
• Responsibility for delivery of bonus & salary reviews & job evaluation processes for 24,000 employees
• Reward consultant on management-side negotiating team with GMB and UNISON for c. 11,000 employees
Nortel Networks Ltd. (1996 –2002)
Senior Manager, EMEA Compensation (06/2000 – 09/2002)
Member of EMEA HR Leadership team, with responsibility for remuneration strategy across EMEA delivering
‘real-time’ total compensation programs. Development and delivery of EMEAs global total reward philosophy,
balancing fiduciary controls, program compliance, and regional governance.
Previous Nortel Networks Roles (1996 – 2000)
• Compensation & Benefits Consultant - Southern Europe and MEA (06/1999 – 06/2000)
• Team Leader, Global Mobility & Expatriate Compensation (02/1996 – 06/1999)