Find a courseExpand
Pre-Master's Certificate - Study Skills
The Pre-Master's Certificate: Study Skills will prepare you for your future Master's course. You will develop your study skills and subject knowledge in your chosen area. You will understand the demands of British postgraduate higher education so feel confident to start your degree.
Questions about fees?
Contact Student Finance on:
Questions about fees?
Deposits and refunds
A £3,000 deposit is required to secure your place on this course.
In the unlikely event that you decide to leave within the first four weeks of the course we will refund the tuition fees minus the £3,000 deposit. No refunds are available after the fourth week of the course. For more information see our terms and conditions.
The fees that EU/EEA students starting courses at UK universities after the UK has formally left the EU are required to pay will depend on what is agreed as part of the UK's exit negotiations. Please see www.brookes.ac.uk/about-brookes/news/brexit-faqs/ for the most up-to-date information.
Financial support and scholarships
Learning and assessment
If you are a native or near-native speaker of English, this course will improve your academic knowledge and study skills for your future Master's course.
You can specialise in a subject of your choice from a wide range of subjects that include business, tourism, hospitality and leisure, law, social sciences, arts, humanities, computing and technology.
You should choose this course if:
- your undergraduate qualifications do not meet the level required for postgraduate study
- you wish to take a Master's in a subject that is different from your undergraduate degree
- you wish to improve your study skills before starting your Master's course
- you want to better understand what is required at Master's level in the UK
- you have had a break from education and want to build your confidence before starting your Master's
The Pre-Master's Certificate is a recognised qualification. Most students who successfully complete the course with required grades go on to study a Master's degree.
You can progress to one of the following Master's degrees after your pre-master's.
- Arts, Publishing and Humanities
- Biological and Medical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Environmental Science and Management
- Health and Social Care
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure
- Real Estate, Construction and Built Environment
- Social Sciences
You must reach the level entry requirements of the Master’s programme. Normally, you can progress to your chosen Master's by achieving an average grade of 60% (55% for business/hospitality degrees) on the Pre-Master's Certificate: Study Skills. If you would like to check your eligibility for a Master’s course, contact the admissions team on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1865 483040 for further information.
Programme Changes: On rare occasions we may need to make changes to our course programmes after they have been published on the website.
For more information, please visit our Changes to programmes page.