English language requirements

If English is not your first language then you will need to show that your English language skills are at a high enough level to succeed in your studies.

The entry requirement for your course will be expressed as an IELTS level and refers to the IELTS Academic version of this test. We are now also accepting the IELTS Indicator test, you can find out more about the test on the IELTS Indication site. The University however does accept a wide range of additional English language qualifications, which can be found below.

The university’s English language requirements in IELTS levels are as follows:

Alternative English qualifications

We may be able accept alternative qualifications as evidence of your language skills if:

  • You do not need a student visa to come to the UK.
  • You have applied for a undergraduate or postgraduate level course and are not able to take a UK Visas and Immigration approved test.

The following information is a guide and your ability will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

English language requirements for visas

The following information is a guide and your ability will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Our International Student Advice Team can help you to apply for your visa.

Secure English Language Test (SELT)

Secure English Language Test (SELT)

The UKVI approved Secure English language Test (SELT) providers are:

  • IELTS SELT Consortium (from an approved test centre)
  • Trinity College London

Please see the UKVI website for the list of approved test centres.

English speaking countries

If you are from a country that UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) considers as majority English speaking, then you will not have to prove your English language level for visa purposes.

You don’t need to prove your knowledge of English for visa purposes if you’ve recently completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • UK
  • USA

You also don’t need to prove your knowledge of English for visa purposes if you are a national of Canada or any of the countries in the list above.  

Please refer to the UKVI for the latest information

Although you do not need to prove your knowledge of English for visa purposes, you will need to show the university that your English is good enough to succeed in your studies. This will normally be through your academic qualifications. We may ask for additional evidence in some circumstances, for example if your qualifications were taken elsewhere in another language

Pre-sessional English courses

A student getting advise from a teacher

Our University English course can help you to meet the language requirements for all our undergraduate and postgraduate. Entry levels are from IELTS 4.5 overall with 4.0 in all skills.

Even if your current English qualifications are high enough, you may choose to take this course to boost your confidence in English (writing, reading, listening and speaking) before starting your degree.