The Collection is based upon a donation of an extensive range of books, reports, booklets and other material by the aid organisation, CODE Europe. The expense of physically housing the Collection, cataloguing and other establishment costs was met by a generous donation from the Paul Hamlyn Foundation. Further funding was given by Macmillan and Heinemann Publishers.
The subject coverage of the Collection is somewhat broader than just publishing. All areas of the booktrade in Africa are covered, as well as libraries, information provision, literacy and education, where they relate to the industry. Examples of the output of the publishing industry in Africa are also included. Subsequent acquisitions include novels that were included in promotions such as Africa's 100 Best Books.
Notable groups of material in the Collection include press releases and other items from the records of the Zimbabwe International Book Fair (UK); a large number of titles from the Heinemann African Writers Series; a selection of books from African literacy projects; journals covering publishing in Africa and related fields.
Published items in the Collection can be found using LibrarySearch. See below for a list of journals in the collection and also for a list of recommended websites
Published material is housed in the Headington Library (Zone C, Level 2) and is relevant to publishers, researchers, students of publishing and all those with an interest in publishing in and for Africa.
Archival material is currently being catalogue on our Archive Catalogue.
The Oxford International Centre for Publishing Studies and the University Library are looking to build the Collection by both acquisition and donation and would be pleased to hear from organisations or individuals who may be able to help this process.
Journals in the collection
Some journals in this field are available online. Follow the highlighted links below for free access.
- AABC (Afro Asian Book Council) Newsletter
- Action Africa
- ADEA (Association for the Development of Education in Africa) Newsletter 1993-2006. Continued as ADEA Bulletin and ADEA News Briefs
- Africa Book Centre Book Review
- African Book Publishing Record
- Africa Development
- Africa Review of Books
- African Publishing Review
- African Research and Documentation
- Asian/Pacific Book Development
- Bellagio Publishing Network Newsletter
- Book Fair Bulletin
- Bukku: Bulletin de Liaison des professionnels du Livre en Afrique
- CAMECO (Catholic Media Council) Media Forum (prev. CAMECO Information Bulletin) 1995-2006. Continued as CAMECO Update.
- CODESRIA Bulletin
- Development and Cooperation
- Education des Adultes et Developpement
- Feed the Minds News
- Grassroots Book News
- IASP (International Association of Scholarly Publishers) Newsletter
- IBBY (International Board on Books for Young People) Newsletter
- IFLA (International Federation of Library Associations) Newsletter: Regional Section for Africa
- INASP (International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications) Newsletter
- Interchange Newsletter (Book Aid International)
- International Publishers Bulletin
- Journal de l'agence intergouvermentale de la Francophonie
- Kalulu News: Newsletter of the Foundation for the Promotion of Children's Science Publications in Africa (CHISCI)
- Kenya Bookseller
- Literacy Link
- Literatur Nachrichten
- NCAL (National Center on Adult Literacy) Connections
- Network (Forum for the Advancement of Adult Education)
- NGAO: Newsletter of the Network for the Defence of Independent Media in Africa (NDIMA)
- NGOMA Newsletter (Continued as The Code Reader)
- Notre Librairie
- Partners in African Publishing
- PEGblog: Professional Editors' Group blog
- PEGBoard: Professional Editors' Group Newsletter (members of the PEG only)
- Takam Tikou: Bulletin de la Joie par les Livres
Related web sites
There are a large number of Africa-interest and publishing in Africa related resources, and a few selected sites are listed below:
- Africa South of the Sahara - Selected Internet Resources
- Africa Web Links: An Annotated Resource List
- African Books Collective
- African Journals Online
- African Studies Association
- African Studies Center at Michigan State University
- Africana Studies Center at the University of Pennsylvania
- African Studies Quarterly: The Online Journal for African Studies
- Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA)
- Book Aid International
- Center for African Studies at the University of Florida
- CODESRIA: Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa
- Department for International Development formerly the UK Overseas Development Administration
- Electronic Publishing Trust for Development
- Hans Zell Publishing Consultants
- INASP: International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications
- Publishers' Association of South Africa
- SCOLMA: Standing Conference on Library Materials on Africa
- SOAS Library (Africa)
- South African Book Fair
- Zimbabwe International Book Fair
If you are aware of any other potentially relevant web sites, please send details to Saffron Shore, Academic Liaison Librarian for Publishing, email@example.com at Oxford Brookes University Library.
For further information please contact: