I started at Oxford Brookes University in February 2021 after holding teaching positions at The University Campus of Football Business and Canterbury Christ Church University.
Outside of the university setting I coach within the womens football pyramid and provide consultancy services for a range of sport organisations.
Areas of expertise
- Ecological Approach to Perception, Action and Cognition
- Non-Linear Pedagogy
- Human Movement and Skill Development
Teaching and supervision
- Coaching Practice to Theory 1
- Human Movement & Skill in Sport
- Performance Analysis
- Coaching Practice to Theory 2
- Research Methods
- Independent Study at Year 2 and Year 3
I primarily teach across subjects including Skill Learning and Human Movement, Pedagogy and Sport Coaching, and Sport Development and Policy.
My research actitivities reach across skill learning and performance in elite sport, and pedagogy and coach learning.
Research group membership
- Sport & Body Cultures Research Group (SBC)- Canterbury Christ Church University
- Sport, Exercise & Physical Activity Research Group (SEPARG) - Oxford Brookes University
- I am currently undertaking my PhD under the working title: To Take Away Our Expression, Is To Impoverish Our Existence - An Ecological Approach to Perception, Action and Cognition.
- Deconstructing the implications of a Non-Linear Pedagogic Approach
- The role of the Quiet Eye and skilled behaviour
Franks B, Roberts W, Jakeman J, Swain J, Davids K, 'A descriptive case study of skilled football goalkeepers during 1 v 1 dyads: A case for adaptive variability in the Quiet Eye'
Frontiers in Psychology 13 (2022)
ISSN: 1664-1078 eISSN: 1664-1078Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Franks B, Pitchers G, Prosser J, 'Considerations for Coaching Female Football Players: A Brief Review and Implications for Practice'
International Science and Football Association. Newsletter magazine 5 (2021) pp.12-15
Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Renshaw I, Davids, K, Araujo D, Lucas A, Roberts W, Newcombe D, Franks B, 'Evaluating Weaknesses of Cognitive Perceptual Training and Brain Training Methods in Sport: An Ecological Dynamics Critique '
Frontiers in Psychology 9 (2019)
ISSN: 1664-1078Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Roberts WM, Longhurst S, Franks B, Taylor N, Bush AJ, 'Chaordic learning systems: reconceptualising pedagogy for the digital age'
Higher Education Journal of Learning and Teaching 1 (1) (2017)
ISSN: 2515-4400 eISSN: 2515-4400Abstract Published here
- Boing - Head of Coach Development and Learning
- Emergence Movement - Global Coach Education Partner
- Coach Mentor - The Football Association