Teaching and supervision
- Automotive Engineering with Electric Vehicles (BEng (Hons), MEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (BEng (Hons), MEng)
- Motorsport Engineering (BEng (Hons), MEng)
- Basic Thermodynamics
- Simulation of thermal systems
- Automotive Power Engineering
Dr Changho Yang supervised a number of MSc students to completion. Currently supervising 3 PhD students in the areas of Soot formation and CFD/1D simulation on gasoline direct injection production engines, APC Dynamo project with multiple industrial partners and universities.
Dr Yang’s research work has steadily focussed on experimental and numerical modelling activities for combustion and emissions reduction in both gasoline and diesel engines. His agenda at OBU concentrates mostly on Particulate Matter mechanisms and engine-out emissions in modern GDI engines. Particularly, 0D/1D simulation modelling work on GT-power/Ricardo Wave has been intensively studied for the combustion optimisation and engine calibration factors.
Research group membership
Dr Yang has joined in a prospering research group, which works in collaboration with Ford Motor Company and CD-Adapco/Siemens for the optimisation of combustion and soot modelling capabilities since he left UWE, Bristol in 2015.
Dr Yang has also shown his research interests in LTC (Low Temperature Combustion and control) and Advanced Hybrid powertrain systems with Waste thermal energy recovery systems and Hydrogen fuelled powertrain systems.
Research grants and awards
- APC6 DynAMO (Co-investigator) – Dynamic Analysis Modelling and Optimisation of GDI engines. R&D project co-sponsored by the Advanced Propulsion Centre – APC6 Call. In collaboration with Ford Motor Company (Project Lead), Loughborough University, Bath University, Siemens CDA, Hartree Centre, Cambustion, DE&TC. Total project value: £22M; Project value for Oxford Brookes: £1.35M.
- KTP project (Academic supervisor, UWE, Bristol) – Recycled fuel (Biocrude Oil) by waste plastic by fast Pyrolysis technique for Biomass and its application to generate substantial electricity by a diesel commercial engines. This project is funded by innovate UK with Recycled Technology for Knowledge Transfer Program.
- 0D/1D simulation modelling (Ricardo Wave) of combustion, emissions and calibration factors in GDI Engines, in collaboration with Ford Motor Company.
- LTC (Low Temperature combustion) and control strategies using 1D simulation model on GT-power.
- Hybrid Powertrain systems using waste thermal energy and organic Rankine cycle with a variety of working Hydrogen fuelled powertrain systems.
Projects as Co-investigator
- DynAMO, Dynamic Analysis Modelling and Optimisation of GDI engines (led by Ford)(01/08/2017 - 31/01/2021), funded by: Technology Strategy Board (Innovate UK), funding amount received by Brookes: £1,071,280, funded by: Technology Strategy Board (Innovate UK)
Biagiotti F, Bonatesta F, Tajdaran S, Sciortino DD, Verma S, Hopkins E, Morrey D, Yang C, Spencer A, Jiang C, Haigh R, 'Modelling liquid film in modern GDI engines and the impact on particulate matter emissions – Part 1'
International Journal of Engine Research Online first (2021)
ISSN: 1468-0874 eISSN: 2041-3149Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Yongjin Jung, Young Dug Pyo, Jinyoung Jang, Gang Chul Kim, Chong Pyo Cho, Changho Yang
, 'NO, NO2 and N2O emissions over a SCR using DOC and DPF systems with Pt reduction'
Chemical Engineering Journal 369 (2019) pp.1059-1067
ISSN: 1385-8947Abstract Published here
Sciortino DD, Bonatesta F, Hopkins E, Yang C, Morrey D, 'A combined experimental and computational fluid dynamics investigation of particulate matter emissions from a wall-guided gasoline direct injection engine'
Energies 10 (9) (2017)
ISSN: 1996-1073 eISSN: 1996-1073Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Yang C, Zhao H, 'Naturally aspirated and boosted controlled auto-ignition combustion with positive valve overlap in a four-stroke gasoline engine'
International Journal of Engine Research 14 (5) (2012) pp.496-511
ISSN: 1468-0874 eISSN: 2041-3149Published here
Yang CH, Zhao H, Yang CH, Zhao H, 'In-Cylinder Studies of CAI/HCCI Combustion with Negative Valve Overlap in a Direct Injection Gasoline Optical Engine'
Combustion Science and Technology 183 (2011) pp.467-486
ISSN: 0010-2202 eISSN: 1563-521XAbstract Published here
Yang CH, Zhao H, 'In-cylinder studies of hybrid combustion in a direct injection single-cylinder optical engine'
International Journal of Engine Research 11 (2010) pp.515-531
ISSN: 1468-0874Abstract Published here
Kalian N, Zhao H, Yang C, 'Effects of spark-assistance on controlled auto-ignition combustion at different injection timings in a multicylinder direct-injection gasoline engine'
International Journal of Engine Research 10 (3) (2009) pp.133-148
ISSN: 1468-0874 eISSN: 2041-3149Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- HEA, FHEA (Fellow of Higher Education Academy)
- IMechE, MIMechE (Member of IMechE & Chartered engineer)
- KSAE, Editorial board member (Korean Society of Automotive Engineering)
- KSEAUK, Leader of Mech. Engineering (Kor. Scientists & Engineers A.)
- Former powertrain development/calibration engineer in JLR, FORD, Delphi