I am the course leader for the SENr accredited MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Nutrition. I teach across undergraduate and postgraduate modules in exercise physiology and nutrition.
Teaching and supervision
- U76224 - Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology (undergraduate)
- U76270 - Sport and Exercise Nutrition (undergraduate)
- P16507 - Sport and Exercise Nutrition in Practice (postgraduate)
- P16509 - Research Project (postgraduate).
I am actively involved in promoting our Study Abroad program and support both incoming students to study at Oxford Brookes as well as helping students from Oxford Brookes to spend part of their academic program overseas.
- MSc Applied Sport and Exercise Nutrition projects.
My main interests are in sport and exercise nutrition/applied physiology with an interest in the importance of fluid and carbohydrate provision. I am especially interested in physiology and nutrition for the sport of rowing as well as the effects of diet and training on stroke technique. We use instrumented rowing ergometers and wearable technology to help explore the effects of training, diet and lifestyle on athletes and recreational exercisers to improve performance and health outcomes.
Research group membership
- Member of SEPARG - research group of the academic sport programmes
- Human performance enhancement.
El-Chab A, Simpson C, Lightowler H, 'The Effect of Consuming a Liquid Diet vs a Solid Diet 24-hr Preexperimental Trials on Adherence in Athletes'
International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 29 (5) (2019) pp.493-497
ISSN: 1526-484X eISSN: 1543-2742Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
El-Chab A, Simpson C, Lightowler H, 'The reproducibility of a diet using three different dietary standardisation techniques in athletes'
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 70 (August 2016) (2016) pp.954-958
ISSN: 0954-3007Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- British Dietetic Association
- SENr (Academic Associate).
I provide ongoing physiological and nutrition support to various schools and sports clubs across the UK, especially in the sport of rowing.
Areas of expertise
- Rowing performance
- Monitoring and development of endurance performance
- Use of technology in sport and teaching.
I have extensive experience as a rowing coach in the United States, Australia and United Kingdom. I am a former recipient of British Rowing's Coach of the Year award.