Subject Coordinator for BA in Creative Music Production and BSc in Sound Technology and Digital Music; responsible for the day to day mangement of these programmes.
External Examiner at the University of West London; working with the School of Computing and Engineering to verify quality of teaching and learning on the Applied Sound Engineering programme, and on various modules in the London College of Music.
Teaching and supervision
- Sound and Recording
- Digital Audio
- Sound Synthesis
- Sound for Picture
- Acoustics and Recording Studio Design
- Audio Signal Processing
- Electroacoustics 1: Transducers
- Electroacoustics 2: Design and Optimisation
- Image Technology
Subject Coordinator for BA Creative Music Production and BSc Sound Technology and Digital Music.
I design, develop and deliver a number of undergraduate modules in a variety of technical and creative subjects including acoustics, music recording and production, digital audio, interactive systems, signal processing, sound synthesis, sound and the moving image, video technology, transducers, audio electronics, loudspeaker system design.
Recipient of the Oxford Brookes University Teaching Fellowship Award (2013).
My research interests include:
- (Audio and Acoustics)
- 3D musical acoustic measurement techniques.
- Analogue and digital audio technologies, tools and techniques.
- Immersirve/surround sound recording and reproduction systems and aesthetics.
- Electro-acoustics, transducer and loudspeaker system design.
- Technology in music.
- Music and audio processing and networking.
- Experiential learning.
- Application of technical theory in professional contexts.
Research group membership
Currently affiliated with the Popular Music Research Unit (PMRU) and the Sonic Art Research Unit (SARU) at Oxford Brookes University. I have previously worked with the Interaction Design Centre at the University of Limerick, and MIT Media Lab Europe.
- 3D Musical Instrument Acoustic Measurment Techniques
- Experiential Learning in Music Production - Applied theory in professional contexts.
Memberships of professional bodies
- Member of the Audio Engineering Society
- Member of the Institute of Acoustics (appointed to the Publications Editorial Board)
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Areas of expertise
- Sound Engineering
- Music Production
- Sound Recording
- Sound Systems
- Musical Acoustics
- Live Events.
Member of the organising technical panel for the DAFX-01 conference (Digital Audio Effects conference, 2001), Limerick, Ireland.
- Consulted on various projects including:
- Music festival sound control and noise niusance measurement.
- Intercom systems for racing cars.
- Noise measurement for combined heat and power unit prototypes.
- Beta-testing (under NDA) for various audio equipment manufacturers.
Part-time Lecturer at the University of Limerick; Music control systems researcher at MIT Media Lab Europe; professional recording and performing Musician, Sound Engineer (studio and live sound), Music Producer.
Multi-disciplinary practitioner in sound and music, equally at home in the creative or engineering side of audio. 20+ years of experience of music performance, touring, recording and production from the perspective of the musician, producer, studio engineer, live sound engineer and from a technical engineering (acoustics/electronics/software) perspective in parallel with 15 years of academic experience in teaching/learning and research work.
More than a passing interest in motoring, renewable energy and wildlife.
Press, publicity and reviews
In the news: