A psychology PhD student and early career researcher working on health and behaviour change projects.
Research experience in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods studies exploring influences on alcohol misuse, smoking cessation, health education in schools and the impact of patient public involvement. Interests include the development of interventions supporting the prevention and reduction of harms associated with lifestyle behaviours, to enhance health and well-being.
Teaching and supervision
Fiona provided teaching support for multiple modules, including:
- Psychological Interventions,
- An Introduction to Psychological Research,
- Qualitative Methods in Psychology and
- Foundations of Cognitive Psychology.
My research explores the following topics:
- Using automatic processes to change drinking behaviour in midlife adults.
- Knowledge, attitudes and current practice of health professionals regarding the use of e-cigarettes and other smoking cessation interventions in cancer survivors (funded by Cancer Research UK).
- Evaluating the impact of patient and public involvement (PPI) in the life after prostate cancer diagnosis study (LAPCD).
- UK teachers’ views on the content and format of Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education (PSHE).
- Testing social status and family socialization hypotheses of alcohol use in Norwegian young people: a causal mediation analysis.
Research group membership
- Healthy Ageing & Care Network (Oxford Brookes University)
- INEBRIA (International Network on Brief Interventions for Alcohol and Other Drugs)
- Service User Involvement Committee (Faculty of Health & Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University)
- Prevention Science Group (Faculty of Health & Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University)
- UK Society for Behavioural Medicine
Foxcroft DR, Howcutt SJ, Matley F, Taylor Bunce L, Davies EL , 'Testing socioeconomic status and family socialization hypotheses of alcohol use in young people: A causal mediation analysis'
Journal of Adolescence 94 (2) (2022) pp.240-252
ISSN: 0140-1971 eISSN: 1095-9254Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Brett J, Davies EL, Matley F, Aveyard P, Wells M, Foxcroft D, Nicholson B, De Minor-Silva S, Sinclair L, Jakes S, Watson E, 'Electronic cigarettes as a smoking cessation aid for cancer patients: beliefs and behaviours of clinicians in the UK'
BMJ Open 10 (2020)
ISSN: 2044-6055 eISSN: 2044-6055Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Davies EL, Matley F, 'Teachers and pupils under pressure: UK teachers’ views on the content and format of Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education'
Pastoral Care in Education 38 (1) (2020) pp.4-22
ISSN: 0264-3944Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Matley F, Davies EL, 'Resisting temptation: Alcohol specific self-efficacy mediates the impacts of compensatory health beliefs and behaviours on alcohol consumption'
Psychology, Health and Medicine 23 (3) (2017) pp.259-269
ISSN: 1354-8506Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
- Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Patient Public Involvement Committee (Faculty of Health & Life Sciences, Oxford Brookes University)