Dr Hugues Séraphin is a Senior Lecturer in Tourism, Hospitality and Events. He joined Oxford Brookes Business School in January 2023. Hugues holds a PhD from the University of Perpignan (Université de Perpignan Via Domitia, France).
Teaching and supervision
- Festival and Cultural Events Management
- Planning and Delivering the Sustainable Event
- Global Visitor Economy
His current research interests include:
- Sustainable Tourism / Events
- Tourism (and Events) in Post-Colonial and Post-Conflict Destinations
- Children in Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Tourism Education
My publications can be found on ResearchGate
Mandić, A., Pavlić, I., Puh, B., & Séraphin, H. (2023). Children and overtourism: An experiment in cognitive neuroscience to reflect on exposure and behavioural consequences, Best Paper Award, 2023 TTRA Europe Conference, April 2 4 - 2 6th 2 0 2 3 (Dijon - Burgundy, France)
Most cited paper in Journal of Teaching in Travel and Tourism, within the last 3 years (since 2020):
- Tiwari, P., Séraphin, H., & Chowdhary, N. (2021). Impacts of Covid-19 on Tourism Education: Analysis and Perspectives, Journal of Teaching Travel and Tourism
Most cited paper on Overtourism:
- Séraphin, H., Sheeran, P., & Pilato, M. (2018). Over-tourism and the fall of Venice as a destination, Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 9, 374-376
Most cited paper in Journal of Convention and Event Tourism within the last 3 years:
- Séraphin, H. (2021). COVID-19: An opportunity to review existing grounded theories in event studies, Journal of Convention and Event Tourism, 22(1), 3-35
Article published in 'The International Journal of Management Education' which has received the most social media attention (within the last 3 years):
- Séraphin, H., Vo-Than, T. (2020). Investigating the Application of the Principles for Responsible Management Education to Resort Mini-Clubs, The International Journal of Management Education, doi: org/10.1016/j.ijme.2020.100377
Projects as Co-investigator
- Collaborative Community for Sustainability Mindset Education (led by Université de Neuchâtel)(01/10/2023 - 30/09/2025), funded by: Movetia, funding amount received by Brookes: £8,759, funded by: Movetia
Mandić A, Pavlić I, Puh B, Séraphin H, 'Children and overtourism: a cognitive neuroscience experiment to reflect on exposure and behavioural consequences'
Journal of Sustainable Tourism [online first] (2023)
ISSN: 0966-9582 eISSN: 1747-7646Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Chaney D, Séraphin H, 'A systematic literature review and lexicometric analysis on overtourism: Towards an ambidextrous perspective'
Journal of Environmental Management 347 (2023)
ISSN: 0301-4797 eISSN: 1095-8630Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Séraphin H, Chaney D, 'A research agenda for the sustainability of the tourism industry: A childism perspective on overtourism'
Journal of Cleaner Production 414 (2023)
ISSN: 0959-6526 eISSN: 1879-1786Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Smith SM, Cripps K, Stokes P, Séraphin H, 'The Principles for (Ir)Responsible Management Education: An Exploration of the Dynamics of Paradox, the Hidden Curriculum, Competencies and Symbolization'
Management Learning 54 (3) (2023) pp.384-395
ISSN: 1350-5076 eISSN: 1461-7307Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Educations Academy (FHEA)