Dr Jelena Stojković is an art historian and critic. In the School of Arts she is running history and theory modules across BA Photography and is supporting the critical theory programme on BA Fine Art.
Jelena holds BAs in Arabic and Japanese Language and Literature from Belgrade University, MA in Art History from SOAS, University of London and PhD in Photography from the University of Westminster. She was a Japan Foundation Fellow affiliated with the University of Tokyo and a Balsdon Fellow at the British School at Rome.
Teaching and supervision
- The Politics and Poetics of Looking
- Space, Place and Culture
- Media, Culture and Communication
- Ethics, Politics, Visual Narratives
- Written Research Project.
BA Fine Art
- Introduction to Analysis in Contemporary Art
- Independent Research.
- Transnational and interdisciplinary approaches to the history and theory of visual arts and cultures, with a specific focus on art and photography in Japan.
- History and theory of photography, art and cultural criticism as well as the crossovers between fine art, film and photography and their relationship to technology.
- Performative and archival modes of artistic practice, art writing, the politics of representation, historical and theoretical contexts for materiality, non-figuration and colour.
Research grants and awards
- Daiwa Foundation Small Grant, 2021
- British School at Rome, Balsdon Fellow, 2020
- Hayahisa Tomiyasu Residency (SoA, Oxford Brookes), co-orgnised with Modern Culture, 2022
- ‘Best Art Publication’, ICAS Books Prize 2021, International Institute for Asian Studies
- 'Abstract Art by Women Artists from Former Yugoslavia', paper delivered at the Women in Abstraction symposium (online), Pompidou Centre (2021): recording
- Surrealism and Photography in 1930s Japan: The Impossible Avant-Garde, Daiwa Foundation (2020) book launch recording
slide 1 of 6
Stojkovic J, 'Resisting Classification: Nonaka Yuri’s Collages'
Revue internationale de Photolittérature 4 (2022)
ISSN: 2606-6785 eISSN: 2606-6785Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Ross J, Stojkovic J, 'Performance in Print: Channelling Tōmatsu Shōmei’s NO.541'
Photography and Culture 11 (2) (2019) pp.181-196
ISSN: 1751-4517 eISSN: 1751-4525Abstract Published here
Stojkovic J, 'Breaking Down, Going Feral: The Movements of Colour'
PhotoResearcher 31 (2018) pp.178-187
ISSN: 0958-2606 eISSN: 0958-2606Abstract
Stojkovic J, 'For a City to Come: The Material of Takuma Nakahira’s Photography'
Squaderno 35 (2015) pp.17-21
ISSN: 1973-9141Published here
Stojkovic J, 'The City Vanishes: Urban Landscape in Staged Chinese Photography'
History of Photography 37 (3) (2013) pp.360-369
ISSN: 0308-7298 eISSN: 2150-7295Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow)
- Association for Art History (Member)
- British Association for Japanese Studies (Member).
Areas of expertise
- History and Theory of Photography and Fine Art
- Surrealism, Historical Avant-Gardes
- Japanese Art and Photography
- Abstract Art
- Visual Arts and Cultures in a Transnational Context.
Recent Academic Conferences
- Globalising the Avant-Garde, EAM8, Lisbon (2022)
- Women in Abstraction: Another History of Abstraction in the 20th Century, Pompidou Centre, Paris (2021)
- Hasselblad Foundation, Gothenburg (2019)
- Courtauld Institute of Art (2019)
- Goldsmiths, University of London (2019)
- Japan Society, London (2018)
- Sainsbury Centre for Visual Art, University of East Anglia (2017)
- External Examiner, Fine Art Theory, Middlesex University (2019-)
- Lecturer in History and Theory of Photography, Arts University Bournemouth (2018-2020)
- Course Leader for History of Photography and Photography in Japan, The Photographers' Gallery, London (2015-2018)
- Associate Lecturer, University of the Arts London (BA and MA Photography, LCC; BA Fine Art Photography, Camberwell; BA Textile Design, Chelsea) (2104-2018).