Jon Dempsey is a Senior Lecturer and freelance film professional, specializing in traditional film cinematography, virtual cinematography and immersive storytelling.
An award winning film maker and member of the Horror Writers Guild he is particularily interested in redefining the axiom of story and the interaction between audience and storyteller in VR, AR and XR film making.
Areas of expertise
- Cinematography (Digital and Film)
- Image Technology
- Virtual and Augmented Reality
- Post Production (Visial Effects)
- Post Production (Editing)
- Practical Special Effects (Blowing things up)
Teaching and supervision
- Creative Skills
- Development Studio: Technical
- Final Production Portfolio
- Post Graduate Video Production
Jon Dempsey is a Senior Lecturer and freelance film professional, specializing in digital film cinematography and its interaction with computer generated imagery and post-production systems.
Recent examples of postgraduate supervision include.
- Life and Death on Film: The Cinematic Expression of Childhood Trauma.
- Personal and Political Filmmaking: The Use of Video Diaries to Confront the Uncomfortable Truth.
- The Use of 360 Degree Filming in Documentary: Unedited Life in a Syrian Refugee Camp.
His particular area of research interest is in the Uncanny and the Fantastique and it's use within visual storytelling; in particular within augmented and virtual reality.
Research group membership
X10DD Senses Laboratory.
This is a research group that aims to nurture new cross-disciplinary research from: Digital Media, Creative Coding, Fashion and Textile Design, Computer Games, Digital Film (and Screen Arts), Acting and Performance, Animation, Architecture, Visual Communication, and more - into one dynamic research group, from inside and outside of the UK.
- Immersive Storytelling, Ghosts and Confronting the Trauma of War: Life, Death, Reality and Virtual Unreality.
- The Moment Between Seeing and Knowing: Creating Suspense, Fear and Suprise in Virtual Reality.
- Seventy: Stories, Film, Identity, Heritage; Collecting Anglo Indian memories from those who lived through independence 70 years on.
- Experience capturing and re-enactment for knowledge intensive training systems with wearable technologies and augmented reality.
Memberships of professional bodies
- AVID Certified Professional and AVID Certified Professional Instructor (ACI)
- Horror Writers Guild
Jon Dempsey has spent many years working as a film and television professional, originally a 35mm film cinematographer and then moving first into visual effects cinematography and more recently technical direction for visual effects. He has worked for broadcast TV, feature films, music videos and computer games.
Alongside his work at Brookes he still acts as a consultant for the industry in the area of visual effects cinematography and since 2014 has been an Avid Certified Instructor to professional level running industry training courses for professional film and TV editors in the Avid Media Composer software.
- Cannes Film Festival, Official Competition (Palme D’or nominee, Winner of JuryPrize) - FRANCE
- Brooklyn Film Festival - NEW YORK, USA
- CFC Toronto Worldwide Shorts Film Festival - CANADA
- Edinburgh International Film Festival, (Winner of Best British Short Film) - UK
- Expresion en Corto International Film Festival, Mexico - MEXICO
- Sao Paulo International Short Film Festival - BRAZIL
- Tinklai Film Festival, Lithuania
- Athens International Film Festival - GREECE
- Calgary International Film Festival - CANADA
- Warsaw International Film Festival - POLAND
- Cinessonne, European Film Festival, France - FRANCE
- Curto Circuito, Santiago de Compostela - SPAIN
- Ismaila Film Festival, Egypt - EGYPT
- Imagine Science, NYC, USA
- London Film Festival - UK- (People Are Strange at the NFT)
- St John's International Film Festival - CANADA
- Alcine, Madrid - SPAIN
- Rehoboth Festival - USA
- Stockholm International Film Festival - SWEDEN
- Bristol Brief Encounters - UK
- Taipei Golden Horse Film Festival- TAIWAN