Dr Juliet Carpenter
Juliet Carpenter is a Reader with research interests in:
- urban regeneration,
- community engagement,
- participation in planning,
- arts-based methods in planning,
- sustainable urban development,
- the French banlieue and European urban policy.
Research grants and awards
- 2012-2014, Marie Curie Research Fellow, based at L’Institut d’Urbanisme de Lyon "Urban Regeneration Governance for Smart, Sustainable and Inclusive Cities: An International Comparison of France and the UK"
- 2012-2014, Co-investigator (with Dr Christina Horvath, University of Bath) on AHRC Research Network related to the social inclusion and cultural expression in the French suburbs - funded by AHRC (www.banlieuenetwork.org)
- Social Sustainability and Urban Regeneration Governance: An International Perspective (SURGE)
- Exploring lessons from COVID for the role of the voluntary sector in Integrated Care Systems
- Integration of fast track home modification services in health and social care services
Projects as Principal Investigator, or Lead Academic if project is led by another Institution
- CO-CREATION - RISE (01/01/2017 - 31/10/2022), funded by: European Commission, funding amount received by Brookes: £88,000
slide 1 of 6
Carpenter J, Pereira P, Dlabac O, Zwicky R, '"Urban interventionism" in welfare and planning: National typologies and "local cultures" in Europe'
Journal of Urban Affairs Online first (2020)
ISSN: 0735-2166 eISSN: 1467-9906Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Carpenter J, Horvath C, Spencer B, 'Co-Creation as an agonistic practice in the favela of Santa Marta, Rio de Janeiro'
Urban Studies 58 (9) (2020) pp.1906-1923
ISSN: 0042-0980 eISSN: 1360-063XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Dlabac O, Zwicky R, Carpenter J, Pereira P, 'Towards the "just city"? Exploring the attitudes of European city mayors'
Urban Research and Practice 15 (2) (2020) pp.215-238
ISSN: 1753-5069 eISSN: 1753-5077Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Carpenter J, González-Medina M, Huete García MA, De Gregorio Hurtado S, 'Variegated Europeanization and urban policy: Dynamics of policy transfer in France, Italy, Spain and the UK'
European Urban and Regional Studies 27 (3) (2020) pp.227-245
ISSN: 0969-7764 eISSN: 1461-7145Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Carpenter J, Hutton T, 'Vancouver - Critical reflections on the development experience of a peripheral global city'
Cities 86 (2019) pp.1-10
ISSN: 0264-2751 eISSN: 1873-6084Published here Open Access on RADAR
Carpenter J, '"Social Mix" as "Sustainability Fix"? Exploring Social Sustainability in the French Suburbs'
Urban Planning 3 (4) (2018)
ISSN: 2183-7635Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Carpenter J, 'Regeneration and the Legacy of Thatcherism'
Métropolitiques 2014 (2014)
eISSN: 2114-5350Published here
Carpenter J, Verhage R, 'Lyon City Profile'
Cities 38 (2014) pp.57-68
ISSN: 0264-2751 eISSN: 1873-6084Published here
Carpenter J, 'Giving a voice to the banlieues? Spaces of participation in urban regeneration projects'
Francosphères 3 (2) (2014) pp.129-143
Simmie J, Sternberg R and Carpenter J, 'New technological path creation: evidence from the British and German wind energy industries'
Journal of Evolutionary Economics 24 (4) (2014) pp.875-904
ISSN: 0936-9937 eISSN: 1432-1386Abstract Published here
Carpenter J, 'Social enterprise and urban regeneration: A model for the future?'
Calitatea Vieţii [= Quality of Life Journal] (2013)
ISSN: 1018-0389 eISSN: 1844-5292
Simmie J, Conti E, Carpenter J, Povinelli F, Kipshagan M, 'Innovation and new path creation: the role of niche environments in the development of the wind power industry in Germany and the UK'
European Spatial Research and Policy 19 (2) (2012) pp.87-101
ISSN: 1231-1952Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Carpenter J, 'Money's too tight to mention? Urban regeneration in a recession and beyond: The case of Oxford'
Journal of Urban Regeneration and Renewal (2011)
Valler D, Carpenter J, 'New Labour's Spaces of Competitiveness'
Local Economy 25 (5) (2010) pp.438-456
ISSN: 0269-0942Abstract Published here
Durning B, Carpenter J, Glasson J, Butina Watson G, 'The spiral of knowledge development: professional knowledge development in planning'
Planning Practice and Research 25 (4) (2010) pp.497-516
ISSN: 0269-7459 eISSN: 1360-0583Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Brownill S, Carpenter J, 'Governance and 'integrated' planning: the case of sustainable communities in the Thames Gateway, England'
Urban Studies 46 (2) (2009) pp.251-274
ISSN: 0042-0980 eISSN: 1360-063XAbstract Published here
Carpenter J, Brownill S, 'Approaches to democratic involvement: widening community engagement in the English planning system'
Planning Theory and Practice 9 (2) (2008) pp.227-248
ISSN: 1464-9357Abstract Published here
Simmie J, Carpenter J, 'Towards an evolutionary and endogenous growth theory explanation of why regional and urban economies in England are diverging'
Planning Practice and Research 23 (1) (2008) pp.101-124
ISSN: 0269-7459Published here Open Access on RADAR
Brownill S, Carpenter J, 'Increasing participation in planning: Emergent experiences of the reformed planning system in England'
Planning Practice and Research 22 (4) (2007) pp.619-634
ISSN: 0269-7459 eISSN: 1360-0583Published here
Brownill S, Carpenter J, 'Participation and planning: Dichotomies, rationalities and strategies for power'
Town Planning Review 78 (4) (2007) pp.401-428
ISSN: 0041-0020 eISSN: 1478-341XPublished here
Carpenter J, 'Addressing Europes Urban Challenges: Lessons From the Eu Urban Community Initiative'
Urban Studies 43 (2006) pp.2145-2162
ISSN: 0042-0980 eISSN: 1360-063XPublished here
- Carpenter J (2019) Invited presentation “L’impact social des projets artistiques dans les quartiers défavorisés” Université de Cergy-Pontoise, Paris. Journée d’Etude, "Mesurer l’empreinte d’un lieu culturel sur un territoire: observer, représenter, évaluer", 15th November 2019
- Carpenter J (2019) Invited panellist “Performing arts in the city: socio-spatial impacts, hospitality and community building” Association of American Geographers, Washington DC, 4th April 2019
- Carpenter J (2019) Vancouver Street Beats: Community-based arts practice as catalyst for social change?, Association of American Geographers, Washington DC, 3rd April 2019
- Carpenter J (2018) Social sustainability and urban governance through Co-Creation, Research Symposium, Tongji Shanghai University, College of Architecture and Urban Planning, 9th – 11th May 2018
- Carpenter J and Horvath C (2018) Co-Creation: Addressing Urban Stigmatization, Building Inclusive Cities, Urban Affairs Association, University of Toronto, 4th - 7th April 2018
- Dlabac O, Carpenter J, Zwicky R and Pereira P (2018) Towards the Just City? SPSA (Swiss Political Science Association) Annual Conference, University of Geneva, 5th-6th Feb 2018
- Carpenter J (2017) Addressing territorial stigmatization: Building inclusive cities, UBC SCARP-Tongji University Symposium “Globalizing Cities and the Reshaping of Space, Place and Territory”, Vancouver, 5th – 6th Oct 2017
- Gonzalez Medina M, De Gregorio Hurtado S, Huete Garcia M and Carpenter J (2017) Europeanisation and urban policy in the EU: The impact on national urban agendas in Spain, France, Italy and the UK, AECP XIII Annual Congress, Santiago de Compostela, 20-22 September 2017
- Carpenter J and Horvath C (2017) Co-Creation : Conceptualising a methodology addressing urban stigmatisation, AHRC/Connected Communities/Urban Living Conference, Bristol, 12th -13th July 2017
- Carpenter J and Horvath C (2016) “Voices and Images from the Banlieue: Towards co-creation of knowledge”, PoLIS Seminar, Bath University, 5th May 2016
- Carpenter J (2016) “Urban policy, the EU and the UK: future perspectives?”, Cities of Tomorrow, 2nd international Seminar, “After the Riga Declaration, Towards an EU Urban Agenda”, Milan 16th January 2016
- Carpenter J, Dlabac O and Zwicky R (2015) “The democratic foundations of the Just City: Comparing urban planning politics in Lyon and Zurich”, AESOP International Congress, 13-16 July 2015, Prague
- Carpenter J (2015) “Urban Policy and Regeneration: A UK (and French and EU) Perspective”, Cities of Tomorrow, 1st International Seminar, Seville, 4th December 2015
- Carpenter J (2014) « La représentation de la banlieue à travers la co-création des images : L’expérience de Banlieue Network », Journée d’Etudes « Les médiations visuelles de la ville : la photographie comme image, archive, média », Lyon 12 December 2014
- Carpenter J (2014) Listening for ‘unheard voices’?: Urban regeneration governance in France and England, IPSA International conference, Montreal, July 2014
- Carpenter J (2014) Multilevel governance and the relationship between neighbourhood and city governance mechanisms: An international comparison bertween France and the UK, Triangle International Conference, Lyon, November 2014