Teaching and supervision
- Revenue Management & Pricing
- Financial Decision Making for Hospitality and Tourism
- Revenue Management
- Applied Financial Skills
- Management Accounting
Brookes Union Teaching Awawrds 2019, nominated for 'Best Research/ Dissertaion Supervisor' and 'Best Taught Module'.
I have supervised several MSc students on the topics regarding revenue management and destination marketing.
I currently co-supervise two PhD students. One investigates the travel behaviour of Chinese female solo tourists. The other invesigates the use of social media and postmodern travel experiences.
|Zhihao (Patrick) Chen||The spatial behaviour and associated decision-making process of self-drive tourists in the context of Chinese market||Active|
My research interest is related to tourist behaviour including behavioural modelling, price perception, embodied experience and the spatial patterns.
Research grants and awards
- Co-investigator of Microinnovation and Mechanisms in Electronic Consumer Goods, funded by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (RMB280,000 or £32,100), January 2021- December 2024.
- Principal Investigator of ‘Managing Tourist Congestion in the UK: International Package Tours - The Case of Chinese Tourists’ (March 2019 - May 2021), awarded by the British Academy’s partnership with the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and Sino- British Fellowship Trust (No.SRG1819\190033, £9,818). Co-investigators are Dr. Jonathan Reynolds, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford; Dr. Anthony IpKin Wong, Sun Yat-Sen University, PR China.
- Co-investigator of the ‘Conference Feasibility Study for Oxfordshire’ (September 2018 – February 2019), funded by OxLEP and Oxford Brookes University Business School (£50,000). Wrote the chapters on Cultural, Social and Economic context of Oxford and Oxfordshire and the Review of Existing Conference Facilities, based on desktop research and primary data collection using Survey Monkey.
- Principal Investigator of the project entitled ‘Understanding Tourist Congestion in Oxford City – In-depth Interviews with Key Stakeholders’, funded by Oxford Brookes Business School Engagement/Impacts Development Scheme (June – July 2018, £550).
- Principal Investigator of ‘Tackling Tourist Congestion in Oxford City – Roundtable Discussions with Key Stakeholders’, awarded by ESRC Knowledge Exchange (March – September 2018) (1709-DIAL-306, £2,500). In collaboration with Dr. Jonathan Reynolds, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford.
- Principal Investigator. Brookes Business School (Jun – Jul 2018). "Understanding Tourist Congestion in Oxford City – In-depth Interviews with Key Stakeholders".
- Research assistant. National Natural Science Foundation of China (2014 – 2015, Grant No.41401154). "Perceiving and Experiencing Urban Recreation Space from Children’s Perspectives: An Application of Children's Geographies".
- Received Best Research Paper Award at 25th CHME Conference 2016, Belfast, Northern Ireland, May 2016
- Received Best Overall Research Paper Award at 25th CHME Conference 2016, Belfast, Northern Ireland, May 2016
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University PhD Student Scholarship (2013-2016)
Centres and institutes
Ji M, Guo W, Chen Z, Morgan N, 'Managing tourist congestion: insights from Chinese package tours to the UK and Ireland'
Current Issues in Tourism online first (2022)
ISSN: 1368-3500 eISSN: 1747-7603Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
HuiJun W, IpKin W, Seongseop (Sam) K, Frank B, Mingjie J , 'A Multilevel Synthesis of Subjective and Objective Measures of Foodservices in the Experience Process'
International Journal of Hospitality Management 99 (2021)
ISSN: 0278-4319 eISSN: 1873-4693Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Ji M, Y Zhao, Wang J, 'Consuming the Mundane and Extraordinary: Hospitality Facilities and Transport in the Spatiotemporal Behaviour of Theme Park Visitors'
Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 26 (9) (2021) pp.953-972
ISSN: 1094-1665 eISSN: 1741-6507Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Ji K, Wong I, Eves A, Scarles C, 'Encountered Space and Situated Lay-Knowledge – A Mixed Methods Approach'
Journal of Travel Research 60 (6) (2020) pp.1265-1281
ISSN: 0047-2875 eISSN: 1552-6763Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Xiangjun L, Shiqin Z, Mingjie J, 'Mobility Dilemmas: Conflict Analysis of Road Constructions in a Tibetan Tourism Community in China'
Journal of Sustainable Tourism 28 (2) (2019) pp.284-304
ISSN: 0966-9582 eISSN: 1747-7646Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Jiuxia S, Shiqin Z, Mingjie J, 'Revisiting the impacts of tourism from the perspective of social space production: An ethnological study of the Muslim community in Sanya, Hainan Province, China'
Current Issues in Tourism 23 (15) (2019) pp.1845-1863
ISSN: 1368-3500 eISSN: 1747-7603Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Shen H, Liu X, Li M, Ji M, 'Development of Social Enterprises in Rural Island Tourism in China = 中国海岛乡村旅游的社会企业发展'
Journal of China Tourism Research 15 (2) (2019) pp.262-282
ISSN: 1938-8160 eISSN: 1938-8179Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Ji M, King B, 'Explaining the Embodied Hospitality Experience with ZMET'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 30 (11) (2018) pp.3442-3461
ISSN: 0959-6119 eISSN: 1757-1049Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Ji M, Wong AI, Eves A, Leong AMW, 'A Multilevel Investigation of China’s Regional Economic Conditions on Experience Co-Creation and Dining Outcomes'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 30 (4) (2018) pp.2132-2152
ISSN: 0959-6119 eISSN: 1757-1049Published here Open Access on RADAR
Mingjie J, IpKin AW, Eves A, Scarles C, 'Food-related Personal Traits and the Moderating Role of Novelty-seeking Travel Motivation'
Tourism Management 57 (Dec. 2016) (2016) pp.387-396
ISSN: 0261-5177 eISSN: 1879-3193Abstract Published here
Ji M, McMahon-Beattie U, 'The 25th CHME Annual Research Conference, Belfast, North Ireland'
Anatolia 28 (1) (2016) pp.105-106
ISSN: 1303-2917Published here
Mingjie J, Li M, Hsu CHC, 'Emotional Encounters of Chinese Tourists to Japan'
Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing 33 (5) (2016) pp.645-657
ISSN: 1054-8408Abstract Published here
Ji M, Li M, King B, 'Hong Kong’s Tourism Competitiveness: Incremental Effects of the Shanghai Free-Trade Zone'
Journal of China Tourism Research 12 (1) (2016) pp.24-41
ISSN: 1938-8160 eISSN: 1938-8179Abstract Published here
IpKin AW, Ji M, Liu MT, 'The Effect of Event Supportive Service Environment and Authenticity in the Quality–Value–Satisfaction Framework'
Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research 42 (4) (2016) pp.563-586
ISSN: 1096-3480Published here
Ji M, Li M, King B, 'The Impacts of China's New Free-Trade Zones on Hong Kong Tourism'
Journal of Destination Marketing and Management 4 (4) (2015) pp.203-205
ISSN: 2212-571X eISSN: 2212-571XAbstract Published here
Ji M, Zeng Y, King B, Reynolds J , 'Why Have Package Tour Itineraries Been Homogeneous? Insight From Industry Subgroup Relations'
Journal of Travel Research [in press]
ISSN: 0047-2875 eISSN: 1552-6763Abstract Open Access on RADAR
Memberships of professional bodies
I am an editorial board member of The Service Industries Journal; and a review referee of International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, The Service Industries Journal, and Journal of Vacation Marketing.
- Ji, M., & B. King (2018). Investigating the Embodied Experience Using ZMET. Presented at 27th CHME conference, Bournemouth, University of Bournemouth, May 2018.
- Ji, M., Wong, Ip-Kin, & A. Eves (2017). Dining Experience Co-creation: Presence of Others, Regional Economy and Behavioral Outcomes. Presented at 26th CHME conference, Aaborg, Demark, 14-20 May 2017.
- Ji, M., Li, M., & King, B. (2017). Tourist emotional encounters in the dining context. The 27th Annual CAUTHE conference, Dunedin, New Zealand, 7-10 February.
- Ji, M., Eves, A., & Scarles, C. (2016). Rethinking the theory of planned behaviour in tourism context: A modification of the original framework, paper presented at the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Surrey, Guilford, England, 19-22 Jul 2016.
- Ji, M., King, B., & Li, M. (2016). Tourist imaginings and dining experiences, paper presented at the 2nd Annual Conference of the Euro-Asia Tourism Studies Association (EATSA 2016), Lisbon, Peniche & Coimbra, Portugal, 26-30 Jun 2016.
- Ji, M., Wong, I- K., Eves, A., & Scarles, C. (2016). Tourist food consumption: Interactive effect of novelty seeking and personality traits, paper to be presented at the 25th Council for Hospitality Management Education Conference, Belfast, 4-6 May 2016.
- Ji,M. & Li. M. (2015). To decide or to be decided? — Dilemmas of parents travelling with children, paper presented at 3rdTTRAAPac Conference, Tokyo, Japan, 4-6 Dec 2015.
- Ji,M. & Wong, Y-K. (2015). Understanding the supportive environment and authenticity in event services, paper presented at the 3rdInternational Conference on Events: Making Waves in Macau, 7-9 Sep 2015.
- Ji,M. (2015). Restaurant experiences and an imagined place, paper presented in Tourism Salon, Sun Yat-sen University, 13-14 Jun 2015.
- Ji,M. & Li, M. (2015). Tourist emotions: A netnography analysis of Chinese tourists travelling in Japan, paper presented at the International Conference on Sustainable Tourism and Resilient Communities, Hong Kong, 6-8 May 2015.
- Ji, M., Li, M., & Liu. T. (2014). Chinese tourists’ preference for food: The cultural concern for health, paper presented at 2ndTTRA Asia Pacific conference, Melbourne, Australia, 4-5 Dec 2014.
- Ji, M., Li, M., & Zhang, M. (2014). Tourism development ethics in less developed countries: The postcolonial perspective, paper presented at International Conference on Experiential Learning, Macau, May 2014.
- Ji, M. & Li, M. (2014). The competitiveness of Hong Kong: Under the rise of Shanghai Free-trade Zone, paper presented at Global 2014 11th ATF, Hong Kong, May 2014.
- Ji, M., Park, S. H., & Hitchcock, M. (2013). Macau’s Lusofonia Festival: The perception of tourists and locals, paper presented at World Conference on Hospitality, Tourism and Event Research & International Convention and Expo Summit 2013, Bangkok, Thailand, May 2013.
- Ji, M. & Park, S. H. (2013). An examination of the perceived festival quality and visitors’ satisfaction, paper presented at the 11th Asia Pacific CHRIE 2013, Macau, May 2013.
- Ji, M. & Zhang, Y. (2012). The IPA analysis of Macao Portuguese snacks, paper presented at Annual International Conference on Tourism and Hospitality Research 2012, Singapore, Jul 2012.
- Ji, M. & Zhang, Y. (2012). Macanese cuisine images in Chinese visitors’ blog: A thematic analysis, paper presented at Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) 2012 Taipei Conference, Taipei, Jun 2012.
Kate joined the team at the Oxford School of Hospitality Management in January 2017 as a senior lecturer. Her research interests include many aspects of tourism and hospitality particularly those involved with tourist dinning and embodied experience. She has published a number of papers relating to dining experience co-creation, modeling tourist dining behaviour and emotions aspects of tourist experience. Her study on tourist behaviour won Best Paper Award and Best Overall Research Paper Award at the 25th CHME Conference 2016.
Kate attained an MSc in Accounting and Finance from The University of Birmingham, and Ph.D degree in Tourism Management from Hong Kong Polytechnic University. She was also a Visiting Research Fellow with the University of Surrey. She taught Finance and Accounting at the Macau University of Science and Technology and Hong Kong Polytechnic University while completing her doctorate study. Prior to her teaching experience in higher education she worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers in PR China as a senior auditor.
Areas of expertise
Prior to my academic position, I worked in PricewaterhouseCoopers as a senior auditor. My professional expertise is auditing, accounting and applied finance. After that I have been lecturing Finance and Revenue Management in Hotel and Tourism Management schools at Macau University of Science and Technology (2010-2014), Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2014-2017) and Oxford Brookes University (2017 - present).
- Tutor in the School of Hotel and Tourism Mamagement, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Dec 2013 – Jan 2017). I taught HTM2302 Accounting and Control in Hospitality and Tourism.
- Visiting Research Fellow in the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, University of Surrey (Jan - Jul 2016).
- Lecturer in the Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism Management, Macau University of Science and Technology (Jul 2010- Dec 2013).
- Senior Auditor at PricewaterhouseCoopers, Greater China region (Dec 2006 – Jul 2010).