Dr Kuldeep Banwait
Doctorate in Education
Principal Lecturer in Marketing
Oxford Brookes Business School
As a principal lecturer in marketing I am involved in teaching, research, knowledge exchange and line managing a number of colleagues in the field of marketing related disciplines. This is an exciting opportunity to be involved and influence future developments within the marketing discipline at Brookes.
Teaching and supervision
I teach at both the undergraduate and postgraduate level in the field of marketing strategy, international marketing, brand management and contemporary issues in marketing.
I supervise research projects across undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level in the field of branding, marketing strategy, co-creation and marketing of higher education.
My current research is the areas including marketisation of higher education, student value perceptions of higher education, brand heritage and corporate social responsibility.
In 2017 I was awarded Doctor of Education (EdD) for my thesis titled – The student as customer: a study of the intensified marketisation of higher education in England. This was a study into whether Universities should be businesses or institutions of education first.
Banwait K, Hancock C, 'Post Browne Review: A reflective analysis of marketisation dilemmas of senior managers in English universities'
Journal of Marketing for Higher Education Online first (2021)
ISSN: 0884-1241 eISSN: 1540-7144Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
I consult for local businesses, to help them deliver on their objectives. This was part of a stimulating partnership and a great practice in co-creation and knowledge exchange, facilitated through the European Regional Development Fund and universities.
Areas of expertise
- I am an expert in the field of implementing marketing strategy, creating and sustaining brand value and the marketisation of English universities.
- Prior to Brookes I was at University of Derby where I was a programme leader responsible for managing the curriculum development and student experience on the flagship undergraduate marketing degree. Consultancy for regional businesses, big and small, to help them deliver on their objectives through UoD’s consultancy arm.
- Module leader at undergraduate and postgraduate level on Marketing Strategy, Brand Management, Research Methods and Practice-Based Learning. Supervised research at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level.
- An experienced academic leader passionate about research-informed teaching and encouraging students to apply what they learn to real business scenarios. A proven track record in leading programme teams and modules that find a balance between academia and industry practice; making them both rigorous and practical. This knowledge exchange adds immense value, advocating a brave and bold mindset.
Press, publicity and reviews
- Given interviews and provided comment on marketing and retail stories surrounding big themes like Black Friday and Christmas shopping, for BBC East Midlands radio, television and social media.