Mark is a Reader in Philosophy and Programme Lead for Philosophy and Religion. He joined the Philosophy team at Brookes in 2002. Prior to that he held a Leverhulme Special Research Fellowship at the University of Nottingham (2000-2002) and taught at Birkbeck College and King's College London after completing a PhD at The University of St Andrews (1991-1996).
Teaching and supervision
- Reason and Argument
- Human Nature
- Foundations of German Idealism
- Philosophy of Language
Mark's research interests are in the Philosophy of Cognitive Science, Mind and Language. In particular, he is interested in understanding the process by which humans develop from a state of seeming ignorance at birth to one in which they are able to speak a language and grasp a vast array of concepts only a few years later.
Mark is also interested in how school children can benefit from philosophy. He runs a programme that involves training Brookes Philosophy undergraduates to lead philosophy with children sessions and organises placements for them in local schools.
- Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Language, Philosophy Cognitive Science
Cain M, 'Conventions and their role in language'
Philosophia 41 (1) (2013) pp.137-158
ISSN: 0048-3893 eISSN: 1574-9274Abstract Published here
Cain M, 'Learning, concept acquisition and psychological essentialism'
Review of Philosophy and Psychology 4 (4) (2013) pp.577-598
ISSN: 1878-5158Abstract Published here
Cain MJ, 'Essentialism, externalism and human nature'
Royal Institute of Philosophy Supplements 70 (July) (2012) pp.29-
ISSN: 1358-2461Abstract Published here
Cain M, 'Linguistics, psychology and the scientific study of language'
Dialectica 64 (3) (2010) pp.385-404
ISSN: 0012-2017Abstract Published here
- 'The Usage Theory of Language Acquisition'. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Italian Society of Analytic Philosophy, University of L'Aquila, September 2013.
- 'The Proxytype Theory of Concepts'. Paper presented at a conference on the philosophy of Jesse Prinz, University of the Basque Country, San Sebastian, August 2012.
- 'Linguistic Conventions'. Paper presented at a conference on the philosophy of David Lewis, University of Urbino, August 2011.
- 'Radical Concept Nativism and Human Nature.' Paper presented at the Royal Institute of Philosophy conference on Human Nature, Oxford Brookes University, June 2010.
- ‘Concept Nativism and LOT2’. Paper presented at Concepts and Consciousness workshop, University of Bristol, June 2009.
- ‘Millikan on Convention’. Paper presented at the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology conference, Utrecht, Holland, June 2008.
- ‘Linguistics and Psychology’. Paper presented at the European Society for Philosophy and Psychology conference, Geneva, July 2007.
- ‘Language Acquisition and the Theory Theory’. Paper presented at the Mental Phenomena conference, Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik, Croatia, September 2006.