Mark has taught in schools in England for more than 30 years with 10 of those in senior leadership. He was previously an Assistant Professor at the University of Nottingham in Malaysia. His specialism is Educational Leadership and Management and teaches on post graduate programmes. He is the pathway leader for the Educational Leadership and Management route of the MA and he leads multiple modules.
Teaching and supervision
- Research Methods (ML)
- Leading and Managing People in Education (ML)
- Leading Change in Education (ML)
- Educational Theory, Professionalism and Practice
- Paradigms, Methodologies and Research Methods
Mark supervises MA dissertation and EdD Thesis students
Mark’s research is in the field of Educational Leadership & Management. Within the UK the focus of this has been around structural reform, particularly Academisation. Internationally he researches the leadership of International Schools.
Research group membership
- BELMAS Structural Reform Research Interest Group (RIG) Co-convener
- BELMAS Leadership Preparation & Development (LPD) Research Interest Group (RIG)
- Leadership of International Schools (with Dr Lucy Bailey, University of Bahrain). This has involved looking at the work of principals, parents and owners of international schools in Malaysia. To date there have been three journal articles and one book chapter published on our results.
- ‘School and College Leaders’ experiences of GCSE & A level changes in 2021’ [UREC Registration No: L20243] (with Dr Lucy Bailey, University of Bahrain)
- ‘International school leaders’ experiences of leading the changes in international schools during the Covid-19 pandemic’ (with Dr Lucy Bailey, University of Bahrain)
Gibson MT, Bailey L, 'Constructing International Schools as Postcolonial Sites'
Globalisation, Societies and Education Online first (2022)
ISSN: 1476-7724 eISSN: 1476-7732Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson MT, Outhwaite D, 'MATification: plurality, turbulence and effective school governance in England '
Management in Education 36 (1) (2021) pp.42-46
ISSN: 0892-0206 eISSN: 1741-9883Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson MT, Bailey L, 'Navigating the blurred lines between principalship and governance in International Schools: leadership and the locus of ownership control'
International Journal of Leadership in Education Online first (2021)
ISSN: 1360-3124 eISSN: 1464-5092Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Mustafa M, Mansilla O, Gibson MT, 'Examining when hotel middle-managers’ psychological ownership influences their commitment and job satisfaction'
Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism 20 (2) (2021) pp.198-221
ISSN: 1533-2845 eISSN: 1533-2853Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gibson M, 'Student intimidation, no pay and hunger strikes: the challenges facing Heads of Department in Bangladesh Colleges'
Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management 42 (3) (2020) pp.365-379
ISSN: 1360-080X eISSN: 1469-9508Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Bailey L, Gibson MT, 'International School Principals: routes to headship and key challenges of their role'
Educational Management Administration and Leadership 48 (6) (2019) pp.1007-1025
ISSN: 1741-1432 eISSN: 1741-1440Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Simon S, Gibson MT, 'Principal resilience and vitality in extremis: the scenario of involuntary occupational dissolution'
International Journal of Educational Management 33 (4) (2019) pp.709-720
ISSN: 0951-354XAbstract Published here
Gibson MT, Simon S, 'Losing your Head: Are Principals Attached to their School?'
Educational Management Administration and Leadership 48 (4) (2018) pp.25-44
ISSN: 1741-1432 eISSN: 1741-1440Abstract Published here
Gibson MT, 'Leadership preparation and development within a multi academy trust: self-improving or self-serving?'
Management in Education 32 (2) (2018) pp.92-97
ISSN: 0892-0206Abstract Published here
Gibson MT, 'Sponsored academy school principals in England: Autonomous leaders or Sponsor Conduits?'
International Studies in Educational Administration 44 (2) (2016)
ISSN: 1324-1702Abstract Published here
Gibson MT, 'Ethos and vision realization in sponsored academy schools'
Management in Education 29 (1) (2015)
ISSN: 0892-0206Abstract Published here
Gibson MT, Bisschoff T, ''Successful' Schools as Agents of Inner City School Transformation in England'
International Studies in Educational Administration 42 (1) (2014)
Memberships of professional bodies
- British Educational Leadership, Management & Administration Society (BELMAS)
- Gibson (2016) Written evidence to House of Commons Education Committee Inquiry on Multiple Academy Trusts
- Gibson , M.T (2017c) Who cares for the Leader? CASUGOL Leadership 2017 Conference, Singapore. Oct 24th 2017
- Gibson, M.T & Simon, S (2017b) When things come to a head: the going gets tough. Australian Council for Educational Leaders (ACEL) Conference. Sydney, Australia. 4th-6th October 2017.
- Gibson, M.T & Simon, S (2017a). Off with their heads! International comparisons of the effect on ex-principals following involuntary occupation dissolution. The British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS) Conference. Stratford-on-Avon, UK 7th- 9th July 2017.
- Gibson M.T. (2016) Post Leadership: school leaders’ strategies in identity reconfiguration following loss of post. Paper presented at British Educational Leadership, Management and Administration Society (BELMAS). 8th-10th July. Chester. UK
- Gibson M. T. (2015) 'Motivations of Academy School Sponsors' Paper presented at the British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS) International Conference, Reading UK, July 10th-12th
- Gibson, M. T. (2014) 'Leaders of Sponsored Academy Schools in England: in ‘chains’? '. Paper presented at the British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS) International Conference, ‘Educational Policy and Practice: Can leaders shape the landscape?’. Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK 11th-13th July
Press, publicity and reviews
UK National Press Articles about his research
- Young, S. (2012) 'A mission with a difference: a recent thesis on academies shows leadership issues in an interesting light'. Leadership Focus, Issue 55 p.50 NAHT. http://issuu.com/redactive/docs/leadership_focus_sept_oct_2012_naht?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Flight%2Flayout.xml&showFlipBtn=true
- Young, S (2016) BELMAS Annual Conference Blog 2016 -Day Three. https://www.belmas.org.uk/BELMAS-Blog/belmas-annual-conference-2016-day-three
- Bloom, A (2016) How headteachers can cope with a sudden redundancy https://www.tes.com/news/tes-magazine/tes-magazine/how-headteachers-can-cope-a-sudden-redundancy