Mary was Head of the School of Education having previously been Principal Lecturer (Student Experience), Senior Lecturer in Child Development and Education, and Subject Coordinator for Early Childhood Studies. Prior to joining Oxford Brookes University she completed her DPhil at Oxford University, researching the impact of ICT on children's early literacy. She has taught across a range of courses for practitioners and professionals in early years, including the BA Hons degree in Early Childhood Studies, the PGCE , the Advanced Early Years Specialism, MA Childhood Studies and doctoral level supervision. Mary is a qualified teacher with experience in both the primary and early years sectors and a member of the British Psychological Society, the British Educational Research Association and UCET. She is a member of the National Strategy group for the Early Childhood Studies Degree Network and a patron of the Reading Quest Charity.
Consultancy includes a review of children's attitudes to reading for the Beanstalk reading charity (2013), a review of developmental literature (ages 0-5) for the DCSF (Evangelou et al, 2009), researching the establishment of a new PEEP initiative in the Republic of Ireland, (Wild & Mitchell, 2009),the design & evaluation of a Survey on Parenting Skills for UNICEF Turkey (2008) in association with The Centre for Learning Behaviour, and an Evaluation of the National Bookstart Programme (2007)
Research interests include children’s thinking; early childhood literacy including the use of ICT in early years classrooms in relation to literacy, parenting and the professional development of practitioners in Early Years.
Research and consultancy projects
- Wild, M. (2013) Beanstalk: Evaluation of Children’s Attitudinal Outcomes
- Rayner, S., Arthur, L. & Wild, M. (2012) Oxford City: Leadership for Learning. (2012) Joint successful bid with O.U.D. E.
- Wild, M. and Glenny, G. (2011) Evaluation of the Ten to Two project in Oxfordshire. Project sponsored by Oxfordshire County Council to evaluate the provision of ten hours of free childcare/ education to disadvantaged two-year olds within the county.
- Evangelou, M., Sylva, K., Wild, M., Glenny, G. and Kyriacou, M. (2009) Early Years Learning and Development Literature Review. DCSF RR 176.
- Wild, M (2008) Research in Support of Phonics. Oxfordshire LA/British Association Early Childhood Education.
- Mitchell, H, & Wild, M . (2008) Design & Evaluation of Midline Survey on Parenting Skills for UNICEF – Turkey in association with The Centre for Learning Behaviour, Reading.
- Aug 2007 Evaluation of the National Bookstart Programme for Booktrust.
Burbank B, McGregor D, Wild M, '"My special, my special thing, and my camera!" Using GoPro™ as a complementary research tool to investigate young children’s museum experiences.'
Museum and Society 16 (3) (2018) pp.311-333
ISSN: 1479-8360Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Sakr M, Connelly V, Wild M, 'Imitative or Iconoclastic? How young children use ready-made images in digital art'
International Journal of Art and Design Education 37 (1) (2018) pp.41-52
ISSN: 1476-8062 eISSN: 1476-8070Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Sakr M, Connelly V, Wild M, '"Evil cats" and "jelly floods": young children’s collective constructions of digital art-making in the early years classroom'
Journal of Research in Childhood Education 30 (1) (2016) pp.128-141
ISSN: 0256-8543 eISSN: 2150-2641Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Wild M, Silberfeld C, Nightingale B, 'More? Great? Childcare? A discourse analysis of two recent social policy documents relating to the care and education of young children in England'
International Journal of Early Years Education 23 (3) (2015) pp.230-244
ISSN: 0966-9760 eISSN: 1469-8463Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Sakr M, Connelly V, Wild M, 'Narrative in young children’s digital art-making'
Journal of Early Childhood Literacy 16 (3) (2015) pp.289-310
ISSN: 1468-7984 eISSN: 1741-2919Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Wild M, 'Thinking together: exploring aspects of shared thinking between young children during a computer-based literacy task'
International Journal of Early Years Education 19 (3-4) (2011) pp.219-231
ISSN: 0966-9760 eISSN: 1469-8463Published here
Wild M, 'Using Computer Aided Instruction (CAI) to support the systematic practice of phonological skills in beginning readers'
Journal of Research in Reading 32 (4) (2009) pp.413-432
ISSN: 0141-0423Published here
Recent conference papers
- Calder, P. Leeson, C. Nightingale, B., Silberfeld C. & Wild, M. , (Aug 2013) More? Great? Childcare?: A discourse analysis of recent social policy documents relating to the care of young children in Englandand Wales. Symposium at EECERA Annual Conference: Values, Culture and Contexts Tallinn University (Tallinn, Estonia) August 28 to 31, 2013.
- Wild, M. (2013) Plenary Speaker : Picturing Change Conference Oxford Brookes University (27/04/13)
- Wild, M. (2012) Expert Panel member : The Changing Face of Early Childhood Policy and Practice in England over the Past Twenty Years: an expert seminar Warwick Institute of Education/The Open University(23/11/12)
- Wild, M. and Evangelou. M. (2012) Getting the balance right: the role of the adult in supporting children’s early learning. European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA) Annual Conference. Porto. Portugal
- Wild, M. and Mitchell, H. (2010) Listening to and Learning From the Voices of Practitioners and Professionals in the Early Years European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA) Annual ConferenceBirmingham, UK
- Evangelou, M. and Wild, M. (2010) Quality Of Early Childhood Settings: Giving Parents A Voice.. European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA) Annual ConferenceBirmingham, UK
- Mitchell, H. and Wild, M. (2009) Supporting Parents in Supporting Children’s Literacy: Practitioner Perspectives on Implementing a Parenting Programme in a New Societal Context. European Early Childhood Educational Research Association, Annual Conference, Strasbourg, France.
- Barron, I, Calder, P. Hughes, A., Majoribanks, B., McMillan, D., Nurse, A Selleck, D. Silberfeld, C. & Wild, M. (2009) Reconciling Diverse Agendas in Early Childhood Policy, Systems and Practice in the UK. Strasbourg, France. European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA) Annual Conference 2009