Maxine is one of four Department Heads in the Faculty of Health and Life Science. Heads of Department provide day-to-day leadership and management of the Departments and oversee the implementation of the strategic aims of both the Faculty and the wider University.
Maxine is a registered Social Worker with the Social Work England, and has ten years’ experience working directly with vulnerable families within a child protection context, four years as an inter-agency child protection trainer, and twelve years as a senior lecturer/principal lecturer with the Social Work programme at Brookes.
Her first degree is in Applied Social Science (Social Policy), and she has a Certificate of Qualification in Social Work, a Social Work Practice Teachers Award, a PGDip in Applied Ethics, a Masters in Higher Professional Education and an ILM Award in Leadership and Management. She is currently undertaking a PhD at Lancaster University within the Centre for Higher Education Research and Evaluation.
At the 2016 Brookes Student Union Teaching Awards, Maxine won the Most Inspirational Lecturer category. In 2021, Maxine became a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Teaching and supervision
Maxine currently teaches and supports dissertation supervision across all disciplines in her department.
Teaching / Research Interests
- Leadership and Management in Higher Professional Education
- Higher Education Policy
- Inter-Professional Education
- Values Based Practice
- Professional Suitability/Professional Communication
- Safeguarding Vulnerable People
Memberships of professional bodies
- Registered Social Worker with Social Work England
- Member of the British Association of Social Workers
- Member of the Institute of Leadership & Management
- Member of the Society for Research into Higher Education
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy