I am a multi-disciplinary researcher with key interests that relate to urban sustainability, especially the integration of environmental, social and economic sustainability. Specific research relates to the compact city and sustainable urban form, and intensification of development in urban areas.
My research expertise relates to the compact city and sustainable urban form including an influential trilogy of books (published 1996 and 2000), and in particular research into the relationships between environmental, social and economic sustainability in an urban context.
This expertise has been in considerable demand worldwide, advising various bodies in Japan, Taiwan and Thailand. My research has been funded by organisations such as the EU, the UK Research Councils, and various central government departments, the Building Research Establishment, Leverhulme Trust Fund and Housing Research Foundation.
The significance of my research is best seen through its citations, which can be found in the links below.
Dempsey N, Jenks M, 'The Future of the Compact City'
Built Environment 36 (1) (2010) pp.116-121
ISSN: 0263-7960Published here
Jenks M, Dempsey N, 'Defining the neighbourhood: Challenges for empirical research'
Town Planning Review 78 (2) (2007) pp.153-177
ISSN: 0041-0020 eISSN: 1478-341XAbstract Published here
Jenks M, 'Above and Below the Line: Globalization and Urban Form in Bangkok'
Annals of Regional Science 37 (3) (2003) pp.547-557
ISSN: 0570-1864 eISSN: 1432-0592Abstract Published here
Mitchell L, Burton E, Raman S, Blackman T, Jenks M, Williams K, 'Making the Outside World Dementia-friendly: Design Issues and Considerations'
Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 30 (4) (2003) pp.605-632
ISSN: 0265-8135Abstract Published here
Blackman T, Mitchell L, Burton E, Jenks M, Parsons M, Raman S, Williams K, 'The Accessibility of Public Spaces for People With Dementia: a New Priority for the Open City'
Disability and Society 18 (3) (2003) pp.357-371
ISSN: 0968-7599Abstract Published here
Jenks M, Gerhardt W, 'Urban intensification: The potential of decision support for assessing brownfield sites'
URBAN DESIGN International 5 (3/4) (2001) pp.233-243
ISSN: 1357-5317 eISSN: 1468-4519Abstract Published here
Jenks M, Williams K, Burtone E, 'A Sustainable Future Through the Compact City?'
Environments by Design 1 (1) (1996)
Jenks M, 'Residential Roads Researched'
Architects' Journal 177 (26) (1983)
Jenks M, Bacon V, 'Needs for appraisal'
Architects' Journal 167 (21) (1978)
Memberships of professional bodies
- Professor Emeritus, Urban Sustainability, Oxford Brookes University.
- Founder Director of the Oxford Institute for Sustainable Development (OISD).
- Former President, Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society (est. 1833)
Examples of some projects and funding
- Invited to launch the OECD Compact City Policies Research in Paris and Tokyo.
- City Form: India, - funded by British Council, EPSRC and Indian Government for network support.
- Independent Evaluator for the UCL/UEL ‘Building Sustainable Communities’ – funded by HEIF.
- Principal Investigator of CityForm: the Sustainable Urban Form Consortium – funded by EPSRC.
- Creating Sustainable Cities – funded by Global Opportunities Fund, British Embassy, Tokyo.
- Sustainable Development and the Management of Urban Form - NZ consortium funded by the New Zealand Foundation for Research, Science and Technology.