Responsibility for leading programme innovation and renewal across the Undergraduate and Postgraduate portfolio. Extensive line management of academic staff. Significant change management role post re-structure. University lead on award of Small Business Charter and previously AMBA accreditations.
Teaching and supervision
Nicolette has taught on Bachelors, Masters and MBA programmes.
- Supply Chain,
Nicolette currently leads developments in live student projects and embedding of in curricular enterprise.
- Supervision of Masters and MBA Dissertation and Consultancy Projects.
- Examiner of Phds in Coaching and Mentoring and Enterprise Education
Nicolette consults and researches in the area of entrepreneurial management, enterprise education and knowledge transfer between higher education and industry. Nicolette has secured, worked on and supported a number of government-sponsored Knowledge Transfer Partnerships between the university and regional fast-growing SMEs as well as funded projects such as the NESTA 'Enterprising Colleges' Programme which worked to help embed enterprise into the UK South East's 80 plus Further Education colleges. Nicolette has also supported Oxford Brookes University Business School on an on-going internal consultancy basis, in a strategic and operational approach to developing stronger industry links, and a more flexible offer to the business and executive market. All of these themes form the basis of Nicolette's doctorate which looked into practice and policy of university-industry knowledge transfer.
Farquhar J, Michels N, Robson J, 'Triangulation in industrial qualitative case study research: widening the scope'
Industrial Marketing Management 87 (2020) pp.160-170
ISSN: 0019-8501Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Michels N, '"Value in" partnership: common ground and difference in university knowledge transfer policy and research'
International Journal of Technology Management & Sustainable Development 17 (3) (2019) pp.203-225
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551Abstract Published here
Michels N, Beresford R, Beresford K, Handley K, 'From fluctuation and fragility to innovation and sustainability: the role of a member network in UK enterprise education'
Industry and Higher Education 32 (6) (2018) pp.438-450
ISSN: 0950-4222 eISSN: 2043-6858Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Beresford R, Michels N, 'To what extent can live projects contribute to entrepreneurial learning environments: a critical evaluation of the MBA Enterprise Elective'
Brookes eJournal of Learning and Teaching 8 (1) (2016)
ISSN: 1744-7747Abstract Published here
Michels N, 'Partnership common ground difference: insights for KTP policy and research'
InImpact: The Journal of Innovation Impact 8 (1) (2015) pp.13-27
ISSN: 2015-6002Abstract Published here
Beresford R, Michels N, 'Embedding change through the entrepreneurial role of middle managers in the UK further education sector'
Research in Post-Compulsory Education 19 (2) (2014) pp.147-164
ISSN: 1359-6748 eISSN: 1747-5112Abstract Published here
Bowen D, Michels N, 'The relevance of retail loyalty strategy and practice for leisure and tourism'
Journal of Vacation Marketing 11 (1) (2005) pp.5-19
ISSN: 1356-7667 eISSN: 1479-1870Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Enterprise Educators UK
- Michels (2018) 'Value'in Partnership; implications for university knowledge transfer practice and research', COSINUS Conference, Oxford, January 2018
- Michels, N., Beresford, R., and Beresford, K. (2017) 'Supporting Enterprise Educators: A Decade of Best Practice', Institute of Small Business and Enterprise Conference, Belfast 2017. Awarded: 'Best Paper Enterprise Education Track'; 'Best Research and Knowledge Transfer Paper 2017'
- Michels, N. (2016) 'The academic voice in knowledge transfer partnerships' HEI Engage Conference, University of Central Lancashire, May 2016
- Farquhar, J. and Michels, N. (2014) 'Triangulation without tears'. Paper presented at the Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress, Lima, August.
- Michels, N. (2014) 'The partnership metaphor in university knowledge transfer'. Paper presented at the The Collaborative Economy, Multi-Organisational Partnerships, Alliances and Networks Conference, Oxford, July.
- Asmussen, B., Butler, A. and Michels, N. (2013) 'Towards the Future of Branded Content'. Paper presented at the Content London, BAFTA, London, November.
- Farquhar, J. and Michels, N. (2013) 'Quality in Case Study Research'. Paper presented at the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Liverpool, September.
- Asmussen, B., Butler, A. and Michels, N. (2013) 'Towards the Future of Global Branded Content'. Paper presented at the Brand2Global, Global Brand Management Conference, London, June.
- Beresford, R. and Michels, N. (2012) 'Embedding Enterprise in Educational Institutions Through the Entrepreneurial Role of Middle Managers: A Case Study of the UK Further Education Sector'. Paper presented at the EFMD Entrepreneurship Conference, Maastricht University, March.
- Michels, N. and Beresford, R. (2011) 'A sustainable model for enhancing enterprise education in FE'. Paper presented at the Institute of Small Business and Enterprise Conference, Sheffield, November.
- Michels, N. (2010) 'A conceptual approach to understanding issues in the third stream: conceptions of valid knowledge and transfer'. Paper presented at the Innovation through Knowledge Transfer Conference, Institute of Knowledge Transfer, Coventry, December.
- Michels, N. (2007) 'SME international growth and public policy'. Paper presented at the Academy of Marketing SIG, Small Business and Enterprise Marketing Workshop, Birmingham, January.
- Michels, N. (2006) 'SME internationalisation: public policy ignorance or arrogance?'. Paper presented at the Entrepreneurial and Small Business Marketing track of the Academy of Marketing Conference, Middlesex University, September.
- Beresford, R., Michels, N. and Saunders, M. N. K. (2003) 'Initial funding for small female businesses - the mismatch between actual and perceived exposure'. Paper presented at the Making Waves Conference, University of Brighton, November.
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership. Oxford Brookes University & ECCO Oxford, Online Market Development Strategy. £180K. Academic Lead.
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership Oxford Brookes University and MarketPoint, B2B International expansion strategy. £90K. Academic Lead
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership Oxford Brookes University and Thames Travel. Business Development and Customer Growth Strategy. £180K. Academic Supervisor
Contract Research, Consultancy and Bespoke Education Programmes
Commercial and Funded Consultancy Projects
- Evaluation of 15 years of Young Entrepreneurs of New Europe Programme, Ale Kommun, Sweden
- Enterprising Colleges Programme, NESTA/SEEDA. £400K. Oxford Brookes University Centre for Creativity and Enterprise Development. Beresford, R; Michels, N; Bannerman, J; Corlett, J.
- BCMA/IPSOS MORI – The Future of Branded Content. Contract research. Asmussen, B; Michels, N; Canter, A;
- One-to-one Owner-Manager Executive Coaching Programme. Prime Energy, Oxford. HEIF voucher scheme. Oxford Brookes University Service-to-Business. Michels, N.
- SmartCellar Market Research and Commercialisation Strategy, Futuretec, Milton Park. Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N.
- European Benchmarking Study SME Internationalisation Policy. Dti UK Trade & Investment, Deputy Prime Ministers China Working Party, Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N; Beresford, R.
- Strategic Approach to Developing Managers Project, Business Mentoring, Business Link, SEEDA, European Social Fund. Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N; Beresford, R; Harlow, C; Morgan, P; Netting, J.
- Customer Analysis and Marketing Strategy, Purple Label, Milton Park, Oxfordshire. HEIF Funded. Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N.
- Internal Auditor Recruitment Study, Central England Auditing Consultancy, Oxfordshire. Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N.
- Mentoring to Small Business (M2SB) Market Feasibility and Marketing Study, Business Boffins, Oxfordshire, Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N; Beresford, B.
- Market Analysis and Communications Strategy, East Oxford Action Social Enterprise, Oxford. Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Michels, N; Beresford B.
- Oxfordshire Bioscience Cluster Survey, Oxfordshire Bioscience Network and Dti, Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Beresford, R; Michels, N; Joechtl, F.
- Thames Valley Museums Group Marketing Study, Thames Valley Museums Group, Oxford Brookes University. Clarke, J; Elwin, J; Michels, N.
- 2002 Oxford Capital of Culture Bid Feasibility Study, Oxford City Council, Oxford, Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Mumby-Croft, R; Beresford, R; Michels, N; Joechtl, F.
- Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Competitive Strategy, Oxfordshire Pharmacy Store, Oxfordshire Mental Health Trust, Oxford Brookes University Enterprise Centre. Mumby-Croft, R; Beresford, R; Michels, N; Joechtl. F.
Academic Consultancy Projects and Professional Reports
- Cross University Strategic Review and Feasibility Study: Post Experience Programme in Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility, Feasibility study. Client: Oxford
- Brookes University Graduate School and Business School SMT
- Strategic Review and Feasibility Study: Employer Engagement and Corporate Education - A Flexible Framework, Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School SMT
- Strategic Review and Feasibility Study: Certificated Post Experience Programmes, Guidelines for Development, Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School SMT
- Operational Business Development Support and Strategic Review: Oxford Brookes Restaurant Milton Park, Didcot, Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School SMT and Hospitality, Leisure and Tourism Dept.
- Strategic Review and Feasibility: Online Certificate in Management, Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School SMT
- Strategic Review and Feasibility: Corporate Management Education Market Research. Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School SMT
- Strategic Review and Feasibility: Corporate Management Education Market Analysis, Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School SMT
- Online Business for Bioscience Education. Client: Oxford Brookes University Business School Enterprise Centre SMT (Co-Author: Joechtl. A)
PhD and MBA qualified and with a Postgraduate Certificate in Coaching and Mentoring, Nicolette Michels is an entrepreneurial retail marketing, operations and supply specialist. Nicolette has extensive, hands-on experience in retail operations and brand marketing. During a successful commercial career prior to academia, Nicolette established a track record of turning around under-performing business units in various operations management and consultancy roles for blue chip entrepreneurial companies such as Virgin, M&S, Liberty Retail and Hobbs.
Previous to her current role as Associate Dean Programmes, Nicolette has held roles as Director of the Oxford Brookes Global MBA Programme, Programme Director for Retail and Business Management at Oxford Brookes University, Projects Manager of the Business School's former Enterprise Centre, and Principal Lecturer and Coordinator of Services-to-Business in Marketing and Operations Management. Nicolette has played a key leadership role in growing the Business School's relationships with industry partners.
As a teacher, researcher and management consultant in marketing, operational improvement and business enterprise growth, Nicolette has worked with individuals and organisations from a range of sectors, including premier division football, heritage and leisure; fashion retail and food manufacture; biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and healthcare; national and regional government, including SME business support; higher and further education.
Nicolette has worked successfully as consultant and business coach with local, national and international partners, including small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as corporate and statutory bodies. Past projects have supported organisations such as UK Trade and Investment China Department; Oxford Capital of Culture bid 2008; Thames Valley Museum Group; Business Link; South East England Development Agency; National Endowment for Science Technology and the Arts; Milton Business Park Enterprises; East Oxford Action Social Enterprise; regional NHS trusts. Nicolette also mentors MBA students in their consultancy projects for corporate and regionally-based clients.
Multi-lingual in English, French, Spanish and Dutch, Nicolette has designed and taught retail and enterprise courses at Oxford Brookes University, Warwick Business School, Grenoble School of Management, and on internationally-sponsored programmes in Sweden and Singapore.
- Brand Management Consultant. Clients: M&S, Chelsea Football Club. 1999-2000
UK Retail Operations Manager Virgin Clothing Company. 1999-2000
- Management of 10 Regional Business Managers and Key accounts management. Member of cross-company Virgin Clothing strategic working party. Strategic development of UK and European roll-out project lead.
Regional Business Manager, Virgin Clothing Company. 1998-1999
- Start-Up. Strategic and operational development of Regional accounts and B2B client management including securing Selfridges. Highest new accounts conversion.
Commercial Unit Manager Liberty Retail. 1989-1998
- Progressive career managing turnaround of multiple different stores around the UK, conducting strategic review of portfolios and operations, increasing turnover and staff retention, involving on average 13 staff, £1m+ turnover