Dr Paul Wickens
BA, MA, PhD
Senior Lecturer English Language and Communication
School of Education
I am currently Programme Lead for Postgraduate Programmes in the School of Educaiton and subject co-ordinator for the MA Education (TESOL) pathway. I also teach on the BA in Eglish Language and Linguistics. My main areas of research interest are: Corpus Linguistics; Systemic Functional Linguistics; spoken discourse analysis and English for academic purposes. My research focuses on Academc Literacies with specific reference to writing and the application of theories of Genre and Register to the teaching of writing in educational contexts - often using corpus linguistics to aid my enquiries. I started my English language teaching career in Spain and then spent 7 years teaching English in Japan to trainee pilots. I studied for my MA at Warwick University and spent 5 years teaching at Warwick while studying for a PhD in ELT before coming to Oxford Brookes in 2001.
Teaching and supervision
- LANG4003 Understanding Language
- LANG5003 Analysing Spoken Discourse
- LANG5004 Analysing English Language
- LANG6003 Special Options: Corpus Linguistics
- EDUC7011 Descriptions of English
- EDUC7014 English for Specific Purposes
- Discourse Analysis
- Systemic Functional Linguistics
- Corpus Linguistics
- Academic Literacies
- Spoken Discourse Analysis
- Cultures of Learning and ESL
- Computer-assisted Language Learning
I was the projector co-ordinator at Oxford Brookes for the ESRC-funded project which created the BAWE corpus of British Academic Written English. The project was in collaboration with Dr Hilary Nesi and Dr Sheena Gardner at University of Warwick (lead) and Paul Thompson at the Unievrsity of Reading. The project was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council. (2004 - 2007 project number RES-000-23-0800).
Research grants and awards
'An Investigation of Genres of Assessed Writing in British Higher Education'. The project was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council. (2004 - 2007 project number RES-000-23-0800).
- Wickens, P. (2018) DIY corpora of students assessed writing: engaging year 3 applied linguistics students. Paper presented 13th Teaching and Language Corpora Conference (TaLC) – 18th to 21st July, 2018, University of Cambridge link
- Wickens, P. (2009) Assessed Reflective Writing: formulaic language and technologies of the self Paper presented at the BAAL Annual Conference 2009, Newcastle University
- Wickens, P. (2007) Author stance in theme position: disciplinary variation in a corpus of assessed UG student writing BAAL 2007 Conference, EdinburghUniversity 6-8 Sept 2007
- Wickens, P. and Ebeling, S. (2006) Author stance in theme position: variation across disciplines and years in a corpus of assessed student writing BAAHE 2006 Conference, Leuven University, Belgium Dec 6
- Errey L. and Wickens P. (2006) Cultural metacognition as a tool for Teaching and Learning 2nd International Chinese learners’ conference University of Portsmouth July 2006
- Wickens, P. (2006) Contexts and Context Opening Plenary at BALEAP PIM on ‘The East Asian Learner.’ The University of Winchester 25 Feb 2006
- Wickens, P. (2005) IT skills in EAP provision: making it more relevant 2005 joint BALEAP/SATEFL conference Herriot Watt University
- Wickens, P. et al (2005) Towards the compilation of a corpus of assessed student writing Conference proceedings of Corpus Linguistics 2005,Birmingham University 15-17 July 2005.
- Wickens, P. (2002) Challenging Seminars: student initiations in undergraduate legal seminars Inter-Varietal Applied Corpus Studies (IVACS) group International Conference on “Language in Use and Language in the Classroom” University of Limerick