Mr Ralph Saull
BA(Hons), MArchD, PCTHE, FHEA, ARB, RIBA
Ralph is an architect, educator, and architectural photographer based in Oxfordshire. He is a Senior Lecturer in Architecture at Oxford Brookes University and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He is the Year 1 Coordinator for Undergraduate Architecture. Ralph offers his expertise in photography, lighting and printmaking as specialisms within architectural representation.
Splitting his time between teaching and practice, Ralph is also a Project Architect at WWA Studios, a multidisciplinary studio combining Architects, Urban Designers and Town Planners. His project experience ranges from large scale masterplans, to new build residential and extension and alteration works to listed buildings.
Areas of expertise
In architectural practice, Ralph has worked on a number of projects with challenging site constraints including; a new build detached dwelling in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty; extensions to a Grade II listed cottage in a conservation area; the restoration of a Medieval Barn; extension and alteration works to a mews house in the Kensington conservation area; a boathouse on the Thames; a subterranean dwelling in the greenbelt; and many more projects with sensitive surroundings requiring a thoughtful design response.
Teaching and supervision
- Introduction to Architecture 1
- Introduction to Architecture 2
- Architectural Representation
In addition to these modules, Ralph has provided lectures and workshops for other modules including Architecture and Society, and Introduction to Architectural Technology. Additionally, Ralph is a dissertation supervisor, and has contributed to the RIBA studio as an examiner and guest.
- 2020. Photo Oxford 2020 live projection of student photography outside the Old Fire Station, Oxford.
- 2020. The Wood Centre, Machine Barn Redevelopment Project in collaboration with the Sylva Foundation, Long Wittenham.
- 2019. Share Oxford, Exhibition infrastructure public event and design for 'Library of Things', Oxford.
- 2019. Etheldreda Laing inspired student photography exhibition, Bury Knowle Park and Library, Headington, Oxford.
- 2018. Treehouse Project, prototypes exhibition and design in collaboartion with Science Oxford.
- 2017. Performance Pieces, public exhibition at Harcourt Hill Campus, Oxford Brookes University, 2017
- 2016. Fragments live build, exhibitions and Healthy Buildings feasibility study for The Hill.
- 2016. Playable Buildings for the Audiograft Festival run by the Sonic Arts Research Unit.
- 2015. Magdalen Wood Play Structures for Oxfordshire Play Association and Oxford City Council.
Research grants and awards
- Brookes Teaching Innovation Project (BTIP) 2021-22
- Brookes Assessment Schedule (BAS): Improving Students’ Time Management of their Assessment Workload and the Planning of Assessment by Staff
Currently engaged in research on a draft paper titled: Our connection to nature within the built environment due to the COVID pandemic lockdowns - by Mina Samangooei, Ralph Saull, Netta Weinstien.