- Module co-leader for Architectural Design 1 (Y2)
- Dissertation supervisor
Areas of expertise
- Postgraduate certificate in Architecture for Development and Dissaster Relief (ETSAM- Madrid)
- Senior Architect in practice with extensive experience working for large and small architectural practices in London and Spain in a wide range of projects and sectors
- Co-founder of Nimba Studio
Teaching and supervision
- Co-Module leader for ARCH5002-3 Architectural Design 1
- Dissertation supervisor ARCH6008
- Live projects and learning through making.
- Design and build projects.
- Interdisciplinary practice and community engagement.
- Architecture and community development; people-centred approach to architectural and urban solutions.
- The role of architectural and urban design as a tool in development.
- Bamboo as a material that can be the key driver for regeneration processess in underpriviledged areas.
- Participatory design and co-design methodologies.
- Process-based low-cost architectural solutions with an aim to obtain sustainable development.
Pedagogic research interest:
- The link between architecture and social innovation through live projects, interdisciplinary practice and community engagement.
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- COAM (Spanish Board of Architects) Registered Architect in Spain
- ARB Registered Architect
- Co-organizer of Architecture Connects, 4th international peer reviewed conference of the Association of Architectural Educators, Oxford Brookes University 6-9 September 2017. Chaired by Jane Anderson.
Ruth is a founding partner of Nimba Studio; research-led practice specialized in strategic and sustainable projects supporting communities using the local environmental resources to design productive cycles involving social, economic and environmental factors. Early projects focused on the study of bamboo as the key driver for regeneration strategies in areas of Colombia where this is an autochthonous material. Another area of expertise is interior design specialising in learning spaces and collaborative working environments with built projects in Spain.
Other teaching experience
- University College London
- University of Westminster, London
- UAL- Central Saint Martins, London
- University for the Creative Arts, Canterbury
- Greenwich University - School of Architecture, London
- University of Nottingham, (Jouberton Nursery School Project in South Africa- Live Build - 2009)
- Guest critic for various institutions: London Metropolitan, Welsh School of Architecture, Bartlett School of Architecture, Architectural Association.