Dr Surja Datta is a Senior Lecturer, and Module Leader of Global Strategy and Innovation- a core module of Brookes Global MBA Programme [Global Rank 15thon QS Rankings].
Surja has published extensively including books, book chapters, and journal articles. His research interests include business history, innovation, and creativity. He has earlier been involved in a European Commission project that developed business and innovation models for environment monitoring services in Europe. His current research is focused on understanding and explaining the 'creative milieu' phenomenon, extraordinarily creative places that have come into being, across time and space, albeit for limited duration.
Surjas forthcoming book Unlocking Strategic Innovation: Competitive Success in a Disruptive Environment, published by Routledge, concerns itself with one main question: how firms attain achieve competitive advantage in a fast-changing business landscape.
Surja is a prolific public speaker, his talks covering a range of topics, from management to philosophy. Surja is also the Associate Editor of International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development
Datta S, Saad M, Sarpong D, 'National systems of innovation, innovation niches, and diversity in university systems'
Technological Forecasting and Social Change 143 (2019) pp.27-36
ISSN: 0040-1625 eISSN: 1873-5509Published here Open Access on RADAR
Datta S, Souleh S, 'Conceptualizing university-industry linkages in resource-constrained environments'
International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development 17 (3) (2018) pp.295-307
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Datta S, Adesola S, 'Special Issue: Universities in the Innovation Triad'
International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development 17 (3) (2018) pp.197-202
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551Published here Open Access on RADAR
Saad M, Datta S, Razak, A, 'University-industry relationships in developing countries: Opportunities and challenges in Algeria, Indonesia, Malaysia and India'
International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development 16 (2) (2017) pp.175-190
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551Abstract Published here
Datta S, Saad M, Papadakis D, 'Innovation in global public goods: Issues and challenges in provision of environment monitoring services in Europe'
Science and Public Policy 38 (4) (2011) pp.307-318
ISSN: 0302-3427Abstract Published here
Datta S, Saad M, 'University and innovation systems: The case of India'
Science and Public Policy 38 (1) (2011) pp.7-17
ISSN: 0302-3427Abstract Published here
Datta S, Saad M, 'Social capital and university-industry-government networks in offshore outsourcing - the case of India'
Technology Analysis and Strategic Management 20 (6) (2008)
ISSN: 0953-7325 eISSN: 1465-3990Published here
Datta S, 'Introduction to the Special Issue on Innovation Dynamics in India'
International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development 10 (1) (2002)
ISSN: 1474-2748 eISSN: 2040-0551
Teaching and supervision
- International Markets and Competition
- Global Strategy and Innovation
Surja is the module leader for Global Strategy and Innovation, a core module of the Brookes Global MBA programme. He alse leads an undergraduate module that is focused on global markets and competition (International Markets and Competition)
- Datta, S., Saad, M., Mahdi, S. and Abdrazak, A. (2010) 'Mapping the diverse roles of universities in supporting innovation:opportunities and challenges for India, Malaysia, Indonesia and Algeria'. Paper presented at the , Madrid, Spain, October.
- Datta, P. and Datta, S. (2009) 'Innovation in Social Enterprises: Embracing Constraints'. Proceedings of the British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Brighton, September, pp. ,
- Datta, S. and Saad, M. (2009) 'Innovation in a Developing Country Context: Developing an Integrated Framework through India's Experience'. Paper presented at the 7th Triple Helix Conference, Glasgow, June.
- Datta, S., Papadakis, D. and Saad, M. (2009) 'Innovation in Global Public Goods: Issues and Challenges in provision of Environmental Monitoring Services in Europe'. Proceedings of the 2009 European Academy of Management Conference on Renaissance and Renewal in Management Studies, Liverpool, May, pp. ,
- Datta, S. and saad, M. (2008) 'Post Industrial Innovation and Trans-National Social Circulation: India's Model for Success in Services'. Paper presented at the Strategic Management Society conference Emerging India: Strategic Innovation in a Flat World, Hyderabad, India, December.
- Datta, S. and Saad, M. (2008) 'The role of trans-national social circulation in knowledge innovation in developing countries - The case of India'. Paper presented at the 4th UK Social Networks Conference, Greenwich, July.
- Datta, S. (2006) 'Strategic outsourcing under uncertainty: An application in the UK health sector'. Paper presented at the 10th Real Option Conference, Columbia University, New York, January.
- Datta, S. (2006) 'Internationalization of service outsourcing'. Paper presented at the Doctoral Symposium at the 33rd Annual Conference, Academy of International Business UK Chapter, Manchester, January.
- Datta, S. (2005) 'Offshore outsourcing - building a conceptual framework'. In Morgan, E. J. and Fai, F. (eds.) Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Conference, Academy of International Business, UK Chapter: Innovation, Change and Competition in International Business, Bath, January, pp. , ISBN
- Datta, S. (2005) 'Offshore outsourcing: Managerial frameworks'. Paper presented at the Conference of the Information System, Technology and Management Information Society, Gurgaon, India, January.
- Datta, S. (2005) 'Strategic outsourcing: A normative framework'. Paper presented at the 3rd Annual JIBS/AIB/CIBER Invitational Conference on Emerging Research Frontiers in International Business, JIBS, Rotterdam, January.
- Datta, S. (2005) 'Strategic Outsourcing : A Real Option Approach'. Paper presented at the Doctoral Symposium of Bristol Business School, Bristol Business School, Bristol, January.
Surja Datta received his doctorate from Bristol Business School, University of the West of England. Surja also holds an MBA from Strathclyde University and an MA in Applied Social Research from the University of the West of England.