State and Society
The State and Society group is a research forum for members of GPES to examine a broad range of themes associated with the relationship between states and societies in a global perspective. The core research interests of the group include, but is not limited to:
- democracy and citizenship
- political parties
- informal practices
- political institutions.
While the regional focus is open-ended, there is a specific focus within the group on post-Soviet politics, Europe and the European Union, and South Africa.
The activities of the State and Society research group include, but again is not limited to:
- presenting work-in-progress papers and grant applications
- hosting external invited speakers
- hosting reading groups
- the sponsoring of conferences and workshops
- working and co-operating with external partners on large externally funded research projects.