You register for support by completing our online registration form.
We offer a range of support, including onward referral, short-term counselling (up to a maximum of 6 sessions, though most students don't need that many), onward referrals, a comprehensive library of online self-help materials, and links to other organisations. If these support options are not suited to your needs, we will explore other options with you.
Before registering, we ask that you read the page about counselling and the information provided here. Registering is the first step in the counselling process and the information you give us helps us to identify which sort of support will be most suitable for you.
Things to consider
- There is usually a waiting time for one-to-one counselling and you may be able to access a different option more quickly.
- The online registration form is not monitored 24/7 and is not accessed by Oxford Brookes staff out of hours (5.00pm to 9.00am) when the University would normally be closed.
- If there are any problems accessing the registration form, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01865 484659 during office hours.
- Please include a working telephone number in your application - we usually phone students as part of the assessment process.
- If you have already registered during this academic year, you do not need to register again. To request further support, email email@example.com.
When we receive your registration form, we aim to contact you by email within 2 to 5 working days to arrange the first phase of your assessment. You may be asked to complete some online forms or 'clinical measures'. It is important to complete these forms as soon as you receive them so that we can arrange support promptly.
Once you have completed the forms, we will assess the clinical measures and contact you again by email to arrange the next stage. This may be a telephone assessment or a face-to-face assessment.
We give priority to students who are assessed as having severe, complex or urgent needs.
Out-of-hours supportIf you need out-of-hours crisis counselling support:
- call the Samaritans on 116 123
- text Shout to 85258.