Estranged students

There is a lot of additional support that Oxford Brookes University can offer estranged students. You meet the criteria for an estranged student if you are:

  • irreconcilably estranged from both your parents
  • a UK student who is under 25 
  • considering full-time undergraduate study at Oxford Brookes.

Please contact our Student Welfare Adviser for further information. 

GBS students are not eligible for this support.


Stand Alone Pledge

We are proud to have signed the Stand Alone Pledge to demonstrate our commitment to support estranged students at Oxford Brookes. 

The Stand Alone Pledge requires an institution to submit a letter of support from the Vice-Chancellor and an action plan detailing what resources and commitments the university intends to make in order to support its estranged students.

StandAlone Pledge logo

Student bursary

For students starting in September 2022 or after, Oxford Brookes offers a £2,000 a year bursary to those students who meet the estranged student criteria. This does not have to be paid back.

GBS students are not eligible to apply for this bursary.

52-week guaranteed accommodation

Estranged students who meet the criteria are entitled to guaranteed accommodation in our halls of residence for 52 weeks as long as they have selected Oxford Brookes as a firm choice on their UCAS form. We can also help with kitchen and bedding packs.

To find out more about halls of residence and other accommodation available, please see our accommodation pages.

Dedicated member of staff

We have a dedicated member of staff who can support you as an estranged student. Our Student Welfare Adviser can provide advice and guidance to you before you start your course and throughout your journey at Oxford Brookes University, and can assist you on a range of issues such as:

  • personal support
  • funding and money management
  • teaching and learning support
  • liaising with Student Finance to ensure they treat you as an independent student to make certain you get the maximum funding you are entitled to.

Support meeting

Once you have been offered a place with us, you can talk to the Student Welfare Adviser to discuss any concerns you might have about the transition to university life.