Andy joined Oxford Brookes University in March 2019 as a lecturer in Health and Exercise Physiology.
Teaching and supervision
- NUTR7008: Research Project
- PSIO5044: Health, Wellbeing and Exercise
- PSIO7011: Health, Wellbeing and Exercise
- SPOR4012: Fitness and Assessment
- SPOR4013: Health Promotion and Behaviour Change
- SPOR5007: Independent Study 1
- SPOR5009: Physical Activity & Health
- SPOR5012: Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology
- SPOR5016: Enhancing Physical Activity Across the Lifespan
- SPOR5017: Determinants of Health
- SPOR5018: Exercise Prescription in Clinical Populations
- SPOR6004: Clinical Populations and Rehabilitation
- SPOR6006: Independent Study 2
- SPOR6008: Project \ Dissertation
- SPOR6011: Alpine Fieldwork in Exercise Science
Andy's most recent research has focused on the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on physical activity habits and mental health in a number of different countries. Previously, Andy has focused on the non-invasive measurement of aortic blood pressures in older populations and both acute and chronic stroke populations. Andy has also recently investigated the effects of sedentary time on the body after stroke and whether low intensity physical activity may mitigate the damage that extended sedentary time causes in sickness.
Research grants and awards
- £42,171 – Secured for PhD scholarship at the University of Winchester
- £7,000 – Funding for standing desks to reduce sedentary time in the workplace at the University of Winchester
- £950 – Outstanding Research Award from the University of Winchester
- £482 – Physiological Society grants.
Areas of expertise
Covid-19 pandemic and mental health, cardiovascular disease and neurological conditions, heart rate variability, peripheral and central blood pressures and their circadian rhythms, physical activity and chronic disease, non-communicable disease risk factors, sedentary time.
Faulkner J, O'Brien WJ, Stuart B, Stoner L, Batten J, Wadsworth D, Askew CD, Badehorst CE, Byrd E, Draper N, Elliot C, Fryer S, Hamlin MJ, Jakeman JR, Mackintosh KA, McNarry MA, Mitchelmore A, Ryan-Stewart H, Saynoe Z, Schaumberg MA, Spiegelhalter E, Stone K, Lambrick D, 'Physical Activity, Mental Health and Wellbeing of Adults within and during the Easing of COVID-19 Restrictions, in the United Kingdom and New Zealand'
International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 19 (3) (2022)
ISSN: 1661-7827 eISSN: 1660-4601Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
James Faulkner, Wendy J. O’Brien, Bronagh McGrane, Daniel Wadsworth, John Batten, Christopher D. Askew, Claire Badenhorst, Erin Byrd, Maura Coulter, Nick Draper, Catherine Elliot, Simon Fryer, Michael J. Hamlin, John Jakeman, Kelly A. Mackintosh, Melitta A. McNarry, Andrew Mitchelmore, John Murphy, Helen Ryan-Stewart, Zoe Saynor, Mia Schaumberg, Keeron Stone, Lee Stoner, Beth Stuart, Danielle Lambrick, 'Physical activity, mental health and well-being of adults during initial COVID-19 containment strategies: A multi-country cross-sectional analysis'
Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 24 (4) (2020) pp.320-326
ISSN: 1440-2440 eISSN: 1878-1861Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Mitchelmore A, Lambrick D, Jobson S, Stoner L, Faulkner J, 'Effects of a heel raise programme on central haemodynamics and cognitive performance in chronic stroke: study protocol for a randomized, controlled, crossover trial'
Clinical Trials in Degenerative Diseases 3 (4) (2019) pp.130-134
ISSN: 2542-3975 eISSN: 2542-3983Abstract Published here
Mitchelmore A, Stoner L, Lambrick D, Sykes L, Eglinton C, Jobson S, Faulkner J, 'Oscillometric central blood pressure and central systolic loading in stroke patients: Short-term reproducibility and effects of posture and fasting state'
PLoS ONE 13 (11) (2018)
ISSN: 1932-6203Abstract Published here
Mitchelmore A, Stoner L, Lambrick D, Jobson S, Faulkner J, 'Reliability of oscillometric central blood pressure and central systolic loading in individuals over 50 years: Effects of posture and fasting'
Atherosclerosis 13 (11) (2018)
ISSN: 0021-9150 eISSN: 1879-1484Abstract Published here
Faulkner J, Stoner L, Lanford J, Joliffe E, Mitchelmore A, Lambrick D, 'Long-term effect of participation in an early exercise and education program on clinical outcomes and cost implications, in patients with TIA and minor, non-disabling stroke'
Translational Stroke Research 8 (2016) pp.220-227
ISSN: 1868-4483 eISSN: 1868-601XAbstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Member of the Physiological Society
- Reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Nursing
- Reviewer for the European Journal of Applied Physiology and Journal of Sports Sciences with Dr James Faulkner.
- Mitchelmore, A., Stoner, L., Lambrick, D., Sykes, L., Eglinton, C., Jobson, S. & Faulkner, J. Non-invasive assessment of central haemodynamics in acute stroke patients – between day reliability and the effect of fasting state and posture. 23rd Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science, July 3 – 8 2018 in Dublin, Ireland.
- Mitchelmore, A., Jobson, S., Lambrick D, Faulkner, J. The effect of posture and fasting state on central and peripheral blood pressure in patients with stroke. BASES Student Conference. March 23 2016 in Bangor, UK.
- Mitchelmore, A., Jobson, S., Stoner, L., Lambrick, D., Faulkner. J. The effect of posture and fasting state on blood pressure responses in individuals with normotension and stage 1 hypertension. BASES Conference. November 30 2016 in Nottingham, UK.
- Faulkner, J., Mitchelmore, A., Stoner, L., Jobson, S., Sykes, L., Eglington, C., Lambrick, D. The effect of posture and fasting state on central blood pressure and measures of central systolic loading in acute stroke patients: Between-day reliability of the SphygmoCor XCEL. 27th European Stroke Conference. April 11 - 13, 2018 in Athens, Greece.
- Mitchelmore A., Lambrick, D., Jobson, S., Stoner, L., Credeur, D., Faulkner, J. Lower limb physical activity to break up sedentary time after stroke: effect on central and peripheral blood pressure measures. UK Stroke Forum. December 4 – 6 2018 in Telford, UK.
- Collaborator of the Health Enhancing Lifestyle Programme (HELP) Hampshire Stroke Clinic
- Previous work involving the University of Winchester Sport and Exercise Consultancy Unit (SECU) including work with Portsmouth FC, The Atlantic Drifters (Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge Rowers), various schools and colleges in the community.
Andy's previous place of employment was the University of Winchester, where he was employed as an Associate Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Science. In this role, Andy taught and supervised on a range of degree programmes involving health and exercise physiology, and coaching sciences. He also taught on a number of research methods modules across the undergraduate programmes.