Teaching in modules in:
- Software engineering
- Formal methods
- Computer graphics
Student recruitment (Europe)
Liaison manager of collaborative provision with Informatics Academy Pte Ltd, Singapore
Areas of expertise
- Programming-language design and specification
Teaching and supervision
- Graphics and the Web
- Professional Software System Design
- Understanding Programming
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Further Object-Oriented Programming
- Business Intelligence Programming
- Data Structures
- Undergraduate Computing Project
- Formal Software Engineering
- Compiler Construction (with Prof. Hanspeter Mössenböck)
- Low-level Techniques and Tools
- MSc Dissertation in Computing Subjects
- Programming languages
- Formal derivation of programs
- Formal aspects of computer science
Research group membership
- Applied Formal Methods Research Group
Memberships of professional bodies
- Convenor IST5/–/13, British Standards Institute Panel on Standardisation of the Programming Language Modula-2.
- Principal United Kingdom Expert to International Standards Organization WG13, Working Group on Standardisation of the Programming Language Modula-2.
- BCS FACS (Formal Aspects of Computer Science) specialist group
- United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority: course on Correct Programming with Dr Tjeerd olde Scheper, June 2008
- Reading University/Airinmar: Course on Programming in C#, 2005
- May 1970–Aug 1970: Research Assistant, Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Research into Doppler shift of reflected light in oil pipelines.
- June 1973–Aug 1973: Vacation Student, Atlas Computer Laboratory, Chilton, United Kingdom
Work on computer graphics packages in FORTRAN.
- 1974–1975: Programmer Analyst, County Surveyor's Department, West Sussex County Council, United Kingdom
Design, implementation, documentation and training for software to collect and analyse traffic-flow data.
- 1975–1979: Lecturer in Computer Studies and Statistics, Eastleigh College, United Kingdo
Teaching of Computing and Statistics.
- 1979–1982:Principal Lecturer, (2900-Series Languages) ICL (International Computers Limited) Consultancy and Training Services, Old Windsor, United Kingdom
Developed and presented courses on programming and operating systems for company's customers in UK, Europe and beyond using COBOL, FORTRAN and Pascal for ICL machines (including Perq) and courses delivered in French.
- 1982–1989:Senior Lecturer in Computing, Slough College, United Kingdom
Developed and presented courses on programming (including object-oriented), formal methods, desktop publishing and commercial software products, using COBOL, Pascal, Modula-2, Oberon, Z, Clascal (Object Pascal), Ada, Lotus 123, Symphony.