Hanako has been teaching Japanese for over 10 years in different institutions in Spain and at Oxford Brookes University in the UK. She has taught a wide variety of Japanese languages courses ranging in levels and purposes. She also has experience working as translator/interpreter of English, Spanish, and Japanese.
Hanako became Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) in 2017 and is actively engaged in innovating Japanese language pedagogy. She is Subject Coordinator for Japanese Studies and currently teaches second-year and final-year modules including Japanese grammar, translation, and advanced communication.
Teaching and supervision
- Japanese 2 A
- Japanese 2 B
- Japanese Oral Skills
- Japanese Translation: Theory and Practice
- Japanese 4 B
- Advanced Japanese Communication (Honours Component)
- Japan through Contemporary Texts (Honours Component)
Hanako completed her BA on Hispanic Studies and MA on Theoretical Linguistics at Sophia University in Tokyo. Her research interest at the time was first language acquisition, in particular, how Spanish-speaking children acquired Spanish pronouns. Her interests gradually shifted to how non-native adults learned Japanese and she completed her PhD on Applied Linguistics at Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Currently, her research interests are on the specifics of Japanese grammar, in particular where Japanese is the first foreign language for the learner. She is also interested in the development of intercultural competence through the study abroad.
Centres and institutes
Projects as Principal Investigator, or Lead Academic if project is led by another Institution
- L2 Japanese Learners’ Understanding and Learning of the Da- style in a Virtual Language Exchange (15/05/2022 - 31/12/2022), funded by: Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation, funding amount received by Brookes: £2,808
Fujino H, 'L2 learners’ perceptions of grammar: the case of JFL learners in the UK'
The Language Learning Journal 49 (3) (2019) pp.343-357
ISSN: 0957-1736 eISSN: 1753-2167Abstract Published here
Fujino H, '初級日本語におけるMoodleを使ったリスニングクイズの実践報告 = On the Practice of Listening Quizzes Using Moodle in Beginner-level Japanese'
BATJ Journal 17 (2016) pp.1-10
ISSN: 1477-4704 eISSN: 2398-953XAbstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Reviewer of National Teaching Fellowship Scheme (NTFS) 2017
- External Examiner for University of Portsmouth from 2017
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) since January 2017
- Member of British Association of Applied Linguistics (BAAL) since 2015
- Member of British Association of Teaching Japanese as a Foreign Language (BATJ) since 2013
- Member of Association of Japanese Language Teachers in Europe (AJE) since 2009
Conferences organised (as member of the steering committee):
- Brookes Learning and Teaching Conference 2018.
- Brookes Learning and Teaching Conference 2017.
- ‘The 17th Symposium on Japanese Language Education in Europe’, hosted by the Japan Foundation, Madrid Spain, 5-7th September 2013.
- ‘The 2nd Symposium of the Association of Japanese Language Teachers in Spain’, hosted by the Japan Foundation, Barcelona Spain, 28-29th June 2012.
- ‘The 1st Symposium of the Association of Japanese Language Teachers in Spain’, hosted by the Japan Foundation, Madrid Spain, 18-19th June 2010.