I am the Chair of the Cloud Computing and Cybersecurity research group, which is established in 2020 and evolved from the Applied Formal Methods (AFM) research group established in 2002. I also teach on cloud computing and software engineering modules in both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes of computer science.
Areas of expertise
- Software development methdology,
- Software testing,
- Software Design,
- Software modelling,
- Software languages,
- Cloud native software
Teaching and supervision
- Computer Science (BSc (Hons))
- Computer Science for Cyber Security (BSc (Hons))
- Computing Science (MSc, PGDip, PGCert)
- Data Analytics (MSc)
- Requirements Specification and Software Design (Module Leader, Lecturer, Practical class tutor)
- Software Analysis and Test (Module Leader, Lecturer, Practical class tutor)
- Software Engineering (Module Leader)
- Introduction to Distributed Systems (Module Leader, Lecturer, Practical class tutor)
- Big Data and The Cloud (Module Leader, Lecturer, Practical class tutor)
I am continually supervising several PhD students
My research interests are in software engineering, which include software development methdologies, especially for cloud and web based software, software languages for modelling, design and programming, software automation for testing, etc.
Example of recent work include:
Cloud Software Development Languages and Environments
The project is a departmental REF 2020 key project. It aims at developing programming languages and integrated development environment for cloud native software. It consists of two parts:
- CAOPLE: A novel programming language for cloud native applications in the microserivces architecture. It is based on the service agent model of concurrent and distributed programming model.
- CIDE: A novel integrated DevOps environment for cloud software development. It integrates software development environment with cluster management, monitoring and operation tools in one environemnt so that staging and operation activities can be shifted left.
For more information, visit the CAOPLE site.
Formal Methods for Cloud Software
The project is also a depatmental REF 2020 key project. It aims at developing a formal method and supporting tools for develop cloud native software. The main focus is one algebraic approach. The main outcomes so far include the following:
- SOFIA: A service oriented formal specification language in algebraic theory. It is designed to formally specify services in the algebraic approach.
- Tr2Ont: A technique and tool for transformation of algebraic specifications into ontological description of web services.
- Metrics and tools for measureing the quality of algebraic specifications and ontological descriptions of web services;
- Automatic testing of web services based on algebraic specifications.
- Analysis and Testing of Artificial Intelligence Applications
- Case Studies with Analysis And Testing AI applications
Zhu H, Bayley I
, 'Discovering Boundary Values of Feature-based Machine Learning Classifiers through Exploratory Datamorphic Testing'
Journal of Systems and Software 187 (2022)
ISSN: 0164-1212Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Zhu H, Bayley I, 'Discovering and Investigating Cyberpatterns: The Road Map to Link Data Analytics with Reusable Knowledge'
IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Magazine 4 (3) (2018) pp.14-22
ISSN: 2380-1298 eISSN: 2333-942XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Zhu H, Liu D, Bayley I, Aldea A, Yang Y, Chen Y, 'Quality Model and Metrics of Ontology for Semantic Descriptions of Web Services'
Tsinghua Science and Technology 22 (3) (2017) pp.254-272
ISSN: 1007-0214Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Miller JA, Zhu H, Zhang J, 'Guest Editorial: Advances in Web Services Research'
IEEE Transactions on Services Computing 10 (1) (2017) pp.5-8
ISSN: 1939-1374Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Zhu H, Bayley I, 'On the Composability of Design Patterns'
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 41 (11) (2015) pp.1138-1152
ISSN: 0098-5589Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Liu D, Zhu H, Bayley I, 'Transformation of Algebraic Specifications into Ontological Semantic Descriptions of Web Services'
International Journal of Services Computing 2 (1) (2014) pp.58-71
ISSN: 2330-4464 eISSN: 2330-4472Abstract
Zhu H, Bayley I, 'An algebra of design patterns'
ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology 22 (3) (2013)
ISSN: 1049-331XAbstract Published here
Anand S, Burke EK, Chen TY, Clark J, Cohen MB, Grieskamp W, Harman M, Harrold MJ, McMinn P, Bertolino A, Li JJ, Zhu H, 'An Orchestrated Survey of Methodologies for Automated Software Test Case Generation'
Journal of Systems and Software 86 (2013) pp.1978-2001
ISSN: 0164-1212Abstract Published here
Zhu H, Liu Y, Lu K, Wang X, 'Self-Adaptive Management of Idle Nodes in Large Scale Systems'
International Journal of Next-Generation Computing 4 (2) (2013)
Bertolino A, Foster H, Li JJ, Zhu H, 'Special Section on Automation of Software Test'
Journal of Systems and Software 86 (2013) pp.1977-1977
ISSN: 0164-1212Published here
Zhu H, 'An institution theory of formal meta-modelling in graphically extended BNF'
Frontiers of Computer Science 6 (1) (2012) pp.40-56
ISSN: 2095-2228Abstract Published here
Zhu H, Zhang Y, 'Collaborative testing of web services'
IEEE Transactions on Services Computing 5 (1) (2012) pp.116-130
ISSN: 1939-1374Abstract Published here
Shan L, Zhu H, 'Unifying the semantics of models and meta-models in the multi-layered UML meta-modelling hierarchy'
International Journal of Software and Informatics 6 (2) (2012) pp.163-200
Bayley I, Zhu H, 'A formal language for the expression of pattern compositions'
International Journal on Advances in Software 4 (3&4) (2011) pp.354-366
ISSN: 1942-2628Published here
Liu Y, Zhu H, 'A survey of research on power management techniques for high performance systems'
Software: Practice and Experience 40 (11) (2010) pp.943-964
ISSN: 0038-0644Abstract Published here
Ou S, Yang K, Zhu H, 'Dynamic algorithms for autonomic pervasive services in mobile wireless environments'
International Journal of Autonomic Computing 1 (4) (2010) pp.391-407
ISSN: 1741-8569Abstract Published here
Bayley I, Zhu H, 'Formal specification of the variants and behavioural features of design patterns'
Journal of Systems and Software 83 (2) (2010) pp.209-221
ISSN: 0164-1212Abstract Published here
Zhu H, Wang F, Wang S, 'On the convergence of autonomous agent communities'
Multiagent and Grid Systems 6 (4) (2010) pp.315-352
ISSN: 1574-1702Abstract Published here
Shan L, Zhu H, 'Generating structurally complex test cases by data mutation: a case study of testing an automated modelling tool'
The Computer Journal 52 (5) (2009) pp.571-588
ISSN: 0010-4620Abstract Published here
Mao X, Shan L , Zhu H, Wang J, 'An adaptive casteship mechanism for developing multi-agent systems'
International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology 31 (1/2) (2008) pp.17-34
ISSN: 0952-8091Abstract Published here
Bayley I, Zhu H, 'On the Composition of Design Patterns'
Quality Software Proceeedings on quality software 2008 (QSIC) , 12-13 (2008) pp.27-36
ISSN: 1550-6002Abstract Published here
Bayley I, Zhu H, 'Specifying behavioural features of design patterns in first order logic'
IEEE International Computer Software and Applications (COMPSAC 2008), Proceedings. (2008) pp.203-210
ISSN: 0730-3157Abstract Published here
Zhu H, Shan L, 'Modelling Web Services in the agent-oriented modelling language and environment CAMLE'
International Journal of Simulation and Process Modelling 3 (1& 2) (2007) pp.26-44
ISSN: 1740-2123Abstract Published here
Lightfoot D, Zhu H, 'Caste: a Step Beyond Object Orientation'
Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2789 (2003) pp.59-62
Zhu H, He X, 'A methodology of testing high-level Petri nets'
Information and Software Technology 44 (8) (2002) pp.473-489
ISSN: 0950-5849Abstract Published here
Zhu H, He XD, 'A Methodology of Testing High-level Petri Nets'
Information and Software Technology 44 (2002) pp.473-489
Zhu H, 'Slabs: a Formal Specification Language for Agent-based Systems'
International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering 11 (5) (2002) pp.529-558
ISSN: 0218-1940Published here
Zhu H, Jin L, Diaper D, Bai G, 'Software requirements validation via task analysis'
Journal of Systems and Software 61 (2) (2002) pp.145-169
ISSN: 0164-1212Abstract Published here
Zhu H, Jin LZ, Diaper D, Bai GH, 'Software Requirements Validation Via Task Analysis'
Journal of Systems and Software 61 (2002) pp.145-169
Memberships of professional bodies
- Senior member of IEEE,
- Professional member of ACM,
- Member of BCS
The following are selected recent participations in international conferences:
- PC Chair: IEEE EDGE 2019: The 3rd IEEE International Conference On Edge Computing, July 8-13, 2019, Milan, Italy.
- General Co-Chair: IEEE SOSE 2019: The 13th IEEE International Symposium on Service-Oriented System Engineering, San Francisco, USA, April 4-8, 2019.
- General Co-Chair: IEEE AITest 2019: The 1st IEEE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence Testing, San Francisco, USA, April 4-8, 2019.
- PC Chair: IEEE EDGE 2018: The 2nd IEEE International Conference On Edge Computing, San Francisco, CA, USA. July 2-7, 2018.
- General Co-Chair: IEEE SETA 2018: IEEE Symposium on Software Engineering Technologies & Applications at the 42nd IEEE International Conference on Computers, Software and Applications (COMPSAC 2018), Tokyo, Japan, July 23-27, 2018.
- General Co-Chair: IEEE EDGE 2017: The 1st IEEE International Conference on Edge Computing, Hawai, USA. 25 - 30 Jun 2017.
- General Co-Chair: IEEE SETA 2017: IEEE Symposium on Software Engineering Technologies & Applications at the 41st IEEE International Conference on Computers, Software and Applications (COMPSAC 2017), Turin, Italy, July 4-8, 2017.
- General Co-Chair: IEEE MS 2016: The 5th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Services, San Francisco, CA, USA, 27 June-2 July 2016.
- PC Co-Chair: IEEE ICSW 2015: IEEE International Conference on Web Services, New York, USA, Jun 27 - Jul 2, 2015.