Dr Jennifer Seddon
Lecturer in Psychology
Department of Psychology, Health and Professional Development
Teaching and supervision
- Health Behaviour across the lifespan (PSYC5013)
- Psychological Research methods and Statistics (PSYC5022).
- Qualitative Methods and Research Design Skills (PSYC7004)
- Psychological Health and Disorders (PSYC7003)
- Research dissertation supervision (PSYC7007).
My research interests focus on drug, alcohol and prescription medication dependence. I have expertise in the use co-production in research and participatory action research. My most recent research has focused on ways to improve the quality of care for people prescribed medication with a risk of dependence, the use of alcohol among older adults, and the evaluation of interventions for heroin dependence.
Research group membership
- Member of the Prevention Science group
- Member of the Health Ageing and Care Network
Research grants and awards
- Seddon, J., Wadd, S., Scott, S., Robinson, A., Dicks, D. Improving the quality and experience of care for patients prescribed medicines with a risk of dependence or withdrawal. National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), Research for Patient Benefit (RfPB). - £172,870. Awarded 2020. Role: Principal Investigator.
- Improving the quality and experience of care for patients prescribed medicines with a risk of dependence or withdrawal. Funder: NIHR Research for Patient Benefit (£172, 870). Role: Principal Investigator. 2021 - 2022
- Addressing the needs of older adults receiving alcohol treatment during the Covid-19 pandemic Funder: National Lottery Community Fund. Role: Principal Investigator. 2020.
- Evaluation of the Drink Wise, Age Well Programme. Funder: National Lottery Community Fund. 2018 -2021.
Projects as Principal Investigator, or Lead Academic if project is led by another Institution
- Improving the quality and experience of care for patients prescribed medicines with a risk of dependence or withdrawal (11/10/2021 - 31/01/2023), funded by: National Institute for Health Research, funding amount received by Brookes: £47,527
slide 1 of 6
Seddon J, Wadd S, Elliott L, Madoc-Jones I, 'Cognitive impairment and treatment outcomes amongst people attending an alcohol intervention service for those aged 50+'
Advances in Dual Diagnosis 14 (2) (2021) pp.58-69
ISSN: 1757-0972 eISSN: 2042-8324Abstract Published here
Seddon J, Trevena P, Wadd S, Elliott L, Dutton M, McCann M, Willmott S, 'Addressing the needs of older adults receiving alcohol treatment during the COVID-19 pandemic: a qualitative study'
Aging and Mental Health 26 (5) (2021) pp.919-924
ISSN: 1360-7863 eISSN: 1364-6915Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Madoc-Jones Iolo, Wadd Sarah, Elliott Lawrie, Whittaker Anne, Adnum Laura, Close Ciara, Seddon Jennifer, Dutton Maureen, McCann Michelle, Wilson Fiona, 'Factors influencing routine cognitive impairment screening in older at-risk drinkers: Findings from a qualitative study in the United Kingdom'
Health and Social Care in the Community 29 (2) (2021) pp.344-352
ISSN: 0966-0410 eISSN: 1365-2524Published here Open Access on RADAR
Shanahan M, Seddon J, Ritter A, De Abreu Lourenco R, 'Valuing families' preferences for drug treatment: a discrete choice experiment.'
Addiction 115 (4) (2019) pp.690-699
ISSN: 0965-2140 eISSN: 1360-0443Abstract Published here
Seddon JL, Wadd S, Wells E, Elliott L, Madoc-Jones,L, Breslin J, 'Drink wise, age well; reducing alcohol related harm among people over 50: a study protocol.'
BMC Public Health 19 (2019)
ISSN: 1471-2458 eISSN: 1471-2458Abstract Published here
Seddon JL, Wadd S, McDougall G, 'Alcohol screening and brief intervention for people aged 50 and over delivered in public spaces in the UK'
Innovation in Aging 2 (S1) (2018)
ISSN: 2399-5300 eISSN: 2399-5300Abstract Published here
Day E, Copello A, Seddon JL, Christie M, Bamber D, Powell C, Bennett C, Akhtar S, George S, Ball A, Frew E, Goranitis I, Freemantle N, 'A pilot feasibility randomised controlled trial of an adjunct brief social network intervention in opiate substitution treatment services.'
BMC Psychiatry 18 (2018)
ISSN: 1471-244X eISSN: 1471-244XAbstract Published here
Goranitis I, Coast J, Day E, Copello A, Freemantle N, Seddon J, Bennett C, Frew E, 'Measuring Health and Broader Well-Being Benefits in the Context of Opiate Dependence: The Psychometric Performance of the ICECAP-A and the EQ-5D-5L.'
Value in Health 19 (6) (2016) pp.820-828
ISSN: 1098-3015 eISSN: 1524-4733Abstract Published here
Seddon JL, Birchwood M, Copello A, Everard L, Jones PB, Fowler D, Amos T, Freemantle N, Sharma V, Marshall M, Singh SP, 'Cannabis Use Is Associated With Increased Psychotic Symptoms and Poorer Psychosocial Functioning in First-Episode Psychosis: A Report From the UK National EDEN Study.'
Schizophrenia Bulletin: The Journal of Psychoses and Related Disorders 42 (3) (2015) pp.619-625
ISSN: 0586-7614 eISSN: 1745-1701Abstract Published here
Day E, Wall R, Chohan G, Seddon J, 'Perceptions of professional drug treatment staff in England about client barriers to narcotics anonymous attendance'
Addiction Research and Theory 23 (3) (2015) pp.223-230
ISSN: 1606-6359 eISSN: 1476-7392Abstract Published here
Day E, Copello A, Seddon JL, Christie M, Bamber D, Powell C, George S, Ball A, Frew E, Freemantle N, 'Pilot study of a social network intervention for heroin users in opiate substitution treatment: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.'
Trials 14 (2013)
ISSN: 1745-6215 eISSN: 1745-6215Abstract Published here
Seddon J, Copello A, Birchwood M, 'Cannabis use and abstention in first-episode psychosis: The participants'view'
Mental Health and Substance Use 6 (1) (2013) pp.47-58
ISSN: 1752-3281 eISSN: 1752-3273Abstract Published here
Blagrove M, Seddon J, George S, Parrott AC, Stickgold R, Walker MP, Jones KA, Morgan MJ, 'Procedural and declarative memory task performance, and the memory consolidation function of sleep, in recent and abstinent ecstasy/MDMA users.'
Journal of Psychopharmacology 25 (4) (2010) pp.465-477
ISSN: 0269-8811 eISSN: 1461-7285Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- British Society for Gerontology Older Adults and Substance use Special Interest Group
- AFINet: Addiction and the Family International Network
Other academic contributions
- Reviewer of funding applications submitted to the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- Reviewer for various high-impact journals
- Editorial Advisory Board Member for the journal Advances in Dual Diagnosis