I am a Principal Lecturer (teaching, learning and student experience) based in Oxford Brookes Business School. I am also the School lead in relation to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Management Education initiative. My undergraduate teaching is focused on (1) sustainability and (2) employability. My postgraduate teaching is centred on the CIPD accredited Masters in HRM programmes.
- Liaison Manager for the Dual Degree (European Business Studies) offered with the University of Applied Sciences, Regensburg, Germany.
- Mentor on the HEA Professional Standards Framework pathway run by Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development.
Teaching and supervision
- Human Resource Management (MA, PGDip)
- Business and Management (BA (Hons))
- Human Resource Management (MSc)
- Environmentally Sustainable Business
- Developing Professional Practice
- Placement Search and Preparation
- Human Resource Managment in Practice
My teaching focuses on HRM at PG level and sustainability and employability at UG level.
Currently supervising on our doctoral, MSc HRM and MA HRM programmes.
My areas of interest are:
- Responsible business and management education
- Third sector graduate employability
- The application of institutional theory within organisation studies
Louw J, 'Going against the grain: emotional labour in the face of established business school institutional logics'
Studies in Higher Education 44 (6) (2017) pp.946-959
ISSN: 0307-5079 eISSN: 1470-174XAbstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Louw J, '"“Paradigm Change” or No Real Change At All? A Critical Reading of the UN Principles for Responsible Management Education."'
Journal of Management Education 39 (2) (2015) pp.184-208
ISSN: 1052-5629 eISSN: 1552-6658Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Chair, Steering Committee of the PRME Chapter UK and Ireland
- Organiser, PRME Chapter UK and Ireland Annual Responsible Business and Management Writing Competition
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Chartered Member of the CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development)
Conference, workshop and seminar contributions
- PRME UK and Ireland Chapter Annual Conferences, 2015 and 2016 – paper and poster presented
- Critical Management Studies Conference, 2015 – member of education stream organising committee
- BAM Annual Conference, 2015 - paper presented
- Brookes Faculty of Business Research Conference , 2016 – organising committee member, and paper presented
- Chartered Association of Business Schools Teaching and Learning Conferences 2017 and 2019 – papers presented
- PRME national seminar on Post-Growth Economics, in collaboration with the Green House Think Tank, Seminar Organiser (hosted at OBU), 2018
- COSINUS (university-industry knowledge exchange network) 5th International Conference, Organising Committee Member, 2018
- BAM Conferences 2018 and 2019, Stream Co-Chair for Sustainable and Responsible Business Special Interest Group
- PRME and Schumacher Institute national seminar on Systems Thinking and Sustainability, Co-Organiser, May 2019
- PRME UK and Ireland Annual Conference, Organising Committee Member, 2018-21