Currently I am a senior lecturer in the International Centre for Coaching & Mentoring Studies (ICCaMs). I lead the Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring and am also the Deputy Head of Doctoral Programmes in the Business School. My main activities include teaching and supervising on our Doctorate in Coaching & Mentoring, MA in Coaching and Mentoring Practice and the MA/MSc programmes in Human Resource Management. I also undertake doctoral research supervision across the Business School.
I also support the delivery of our ILM Level 7 in Executive Coaching and Mentoring certificate and organise the Oxford Brookes Coaching & Mentoring Society (OBCaMs) network events across the academic year. I lead the STAMINa Mentoring Network which focuses on sharing best practice across mentoring schemes and offering support to mentoring scheme coordinators. Prior to my current role I was the Programme Lead Postgraduate Programmes Hospitality (September 2011-2015).
In 2008/9 I founded the Bacchus Mentoring programme – where 200 industry executives mostly Alumni act as mentors for PG and UG students - for more information see Video of Bacchus Mentoring scheme, Bacchus Mentoring Scheme in the Food Service Management sector, Oxford Brookes University - Bacchus Mentoring Scheme . I have supported several other University departments (Accountancy, Real Estate and Law) in setting up and running Alumni mentoring schemes for students transitioning from postgraduate and undergraduate programmes.
Teaching and supervision
- Coaching and Mentoring Practice (MA, PGDip, PGCert)
- Human Resource Management (MA, PGDip)
- Doctor of Coaching and Mentoring (DCM)
- Human Resource Management (MSc)
- Transition to Doctoral Research
- Doctoral Thesis workshops
- Coaching and Mentoring in Organisations
I also supervise Masters dissertations on the MA in Coaching & Mentoring and the MA/MSc in Human Resources Management
I have supervised over twenty doctorates, PhDs and Doctorates of Coaching and Mentoring to completion and examined doctorates in the UK, Europe, South Africa and Australia. I am currently supervising 12 doctoral students (PhD and professional doctorates) who are at various stages of completing their studies.
|Janine Roberts||Working with emotions in leadership coaching||Active|
|Christine Vitzthum||How do coaches and organisational stakeholders approach coaching to support gender diversity?||Active|
As part of the International Centre for Coaching and Mentoring Studies (ICCAMS) my research is focused on coaching and mentoring in organisational settings, and coaching and mentoring as forms of social change. I am particularly interested in coaching alliances and mentoring networks and how these might be understood through the frames of social movements and communities of practice.
My research on mentoring programme sustainability has been used by several organisations to develop their mentoring initiatives - see the Many Things to Many People: Formal Mentoring Schemes report
Centres and institutes
Projects as Co-investigator
- Supporting the development of College Business Centres (CBCs)(01/12/2021 - 31/05/2022), funded by: The Gatsby Foundation, funding amount received by Brookes: £63,578, funded by: The Gatsby Foundation
Gannon JM, 'Applying the lens of Social Movements to Coaching and Mentoring'
Philosophy of Coaching: An International Journal 6 (1) (2021) pp.5-29
ISSN: 2371-5251Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Bonneywell S, Gannon JM, 'Maximising female leader development through simultaneous individual and group coaching'
Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research and Practice online first (2021)
ISSN: 1752-1882 eISSN: 1752-1890Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
J M GANNON, 'Mobility and Mentoring: Supporting Socialization in International Service Firms'
International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring 18 (1) (2020) pp.3-19
ISSN: 1741-8305Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Eissner SE, Gannon JM, 'Experiences of Mentoring in the UK Hospitality Sector'
Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality and Tourism 17 (3) (2018) pp.296-313
ISSN: 1533-2845 eISSN: 1533-2853Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Bachkirova T, Jackson P, Gannon J, Iordanou I, Myers A, 'Re-conceptualising coach education from the perspectives of pragmatism and constructivism'
Philosophy of Coaching: An International Journal 2 (2) (2017) pp.29-50
ISSN: 2371-5251Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gannon JM, Paraskevas A, 'In the Line of Fire: managing expatriates in hostile environments'
The International Journal of Human Resource Management 30 (11) (2017) pp.1737-1768
ISSN: 0958-5192 eISSN: 1466-4399Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Gannon JM, Rodrigo Z, Santomà R, 'Learning to work interculturally and virtually: Developing postgraduate hospitality management students across international HE institutions'
International Journal of Management Education 14 (1) (2016) pp.18-27
ISSN: 1472-8117Abstract Published here Open Access on RADAR
Salter T, Gannon J M, 'Exploring shared and distinctive aspects of coaching and mentoring approaches through six disciplines'
European Journal of Training and Development 39 (5) (2015) pp.373-392
ISSN: 2046-9012 eISSN: 2046-9020Abstract Published here
Gannon JM, Roper A, Doherty L, 'Strategic human resource management: Insights from the international hotel industry'
International Journal of Hospitality Management 47 (May) (2015) pp.65-75
ISSN: 0278-4319 eISSN: 1873-4693Abstract Published here
Gannon J, Maher A, 'Developing Tomorrow's Talent through and Undergraduate Mentoring Programme'
Education + Training 54 (6) (2012) pp.440-455
ISSN: 0040-0912Abstract Published here
Gannon J, Doherty E, Roper A, 'The Role of Strategic Groups in understanding Strategic Human Resource Management'
Personnel Review 41 (4) (2012)
ISSN: 0048-3486 eISSN: 1758-6933Abstract Published here
Brookes M, Altinay L, Gannon J, 'Internationalization of the hospitality industry : editorial'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 23 (2) (2011) pp.144-146
ISSN: 0959-6119 eISSN: 1757-1049Published here
Gannon J, Roper A, Doherty E, 'The impact of hotel management contracting on IHRM practices: Understanding the bricks and brains split'
International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 22 (5) (2010)
ISSN: 0959-6119 eISSN: 1757-1049Published here Open Access on RADAR
Altinay L, Altinay E, Gannon J, 'Exploring the relationship between the human resource management practices and growth in small service firms'
The Service Industries Journal 28 (7) (2008) pp.919-937
ISSN: 0264-2069 eISSN: 1743-9507Abstract Published here
Memberships of professional bodies
- Fellow of Institute of Hospitality
- Member of ILM
I am Co-chair of the Coaching & Mentoring stream at the UfHRD conference and regularly attend the Scottish Mentoring network and EU Mentoring Summit events
Previously I have attended
- Gannon, J.M. (2017) "Mentoring scheme coordinators – lost voices" presented at UfHRD conference University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Bonneywell, S. & Gannon, J.M. (2017) "Simultaneous individual and group coaching: a powerful development mechanism for women in a multinational organisation" presented at UfHRD conference University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Invited speaker on "Mentoring programme Sustainability" at the Mentoring Professionals Conference, at The University of Manchester
- Gannon, J.M. (2016) "Doing it for themselves: Mentoring and Corporate: Socialisation control in International Hotel Companies" presented at UfHRD conference Manchester Metropolitan University.
- Worth, S and Gannon, J.M. (2016) "Learning together – first experiences on a professional doctorate: perspectives from students and supervisors", presented at 5th International Conference of Professional Doctorates, Titanic Belfast, March
- Gannon, J.M. Santoma, R. & Rodriguez, Z. (2015) "Simulating The Intercultural and Virtual World Of Work For Postgraduate Hospitality And Tourism Management Students", Full paper accepted for EuroCHRIE, Manchester Metropolitan University, delivered by Dr R Santoma
- Gannon, J.M. Santoma, R. & Rodriguez, Z. (2014) "Simulating The Intercultural and Virtual World Of Work For Postgraduate Hospitality And Tourism Management Students", Full paper accepted for 2nd International Forum on Tourism Education and Training and 9th China Tourism Forum, Guilin, China 16-18 Oct 2014 Guilin, China – being delivered by Dr R Santoma
- Gannon, J.M. Santoma, R. & Rodriguez, Z. (2014) "Developing Intercultural and Virtual Team working skills in International Hospitality & Tourism Masters students", International Research Collaboration Conference, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK.
- Gannon, J.M. (2010) "Developing Tomorrows Talent: Tales from an Undergraduate Mentoring Programme" full paper presented at the CHME Research conference, University of Surrey, UK
- Gannon, J.M. (2009) "The role of managers in knowledge transfer and capability leverage across the international hotel industry: the HRM perspective" work in progress paper presented at the 4th International Conference on Services Management, Barcelo Hotel, Oxford.
- Gannon, J.M. (2007) "Levels of HRD across Global Competitors in International Service Organisations" full paper presented at the 8th International Conference in HRD Research and Practice, Oxford Brookes University
- Graves, S.C. & Gannon, J.M. (2007) "Managing Managers and Risk in the International Hotel Industry" full paper presented at the CHME Research conference, Oxford Brookes University
- Gannon, J.M. (2007) "The Role of Strategic Groups in understanding Strategic Human Resource Management in the International Hotel Industry" - full paper presented to 22nd Workshop on Strategic Human Resource Management EIASM Brussels
I have undertaken a variety of consultancy projects including
- Developing mentoring schemes for business collaboration
- Mentoring and socialisation programmes for hotel groups
- Enhancing the career opportunities of disadvantaged groups in the hospitality industry
- Advised and supported other Universities on developing alumni mentoring schemes
- Strategic and international human resource management approaches and practices for management development in international hotel companies
- Investigating the risk and management of human resources in international service organisations.
- Exploring the human resource practices adopted by entrepreneurs in small service firms.
- Exploring intercultural skills development amongst international hospitality and tourism managers and students.
- Developing virtual and intercultural skills amongst business and management students
- Supporting international students in the UK HE system
- Editor in Chief for the International Journal for Evidence based Coaching and Mentoring.
- Regular reviewer for: International Journal of Human Resource Management; Work, Employment & Society; Personnel Review; Education + Training; Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: an international journal; the International Journal of Hospitality Management and the International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.